• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Cat in a box

mcmary

Putting on skis
Skier
IMG_2261.JPG

Lorenzzo

Be The Snow
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Last year I had a gf who after a while said my two cats would be a problem long-term, that she couldn't see herself living with cats. So I did what was necessary.

I don't really miss her that much.

Monique

bounceswoosh
Skier
Every time I see something new posted to this thread I think, "that is a dumb idea for a thread".

Red/Grey was a dumb idea for a thread. This is awesome. (As a person who has whittled down her facebook feed to mostly cute animals and skiing.)

Last year I had a gf who after a while said my two cats would be a problem long-term, that she couldn't see herself living with cats. So I did what was necessary.

I don't really miss her that much.

When I first met my now-husband, I had a cat, and he was concerned about being allergic to her. I told husband that the cat was non-negotiable. He was hurt, but I explained that he could find another girlfriend; the cat, who frankly was a pill, was family - and besides, there was no guarantee she'd find another good home (see: was a pill, not that good pets always get homes, either). I take the idea of a forever home seriously.

Later, we adopted another cat, mistakenly thinking my first cat wanted a buddy. The second cat was fantastic, but there was a battle royale every day in our house, and at the same time, my husband had a medical issue requiring brief hospitalization. The original owner, who had said she'd take the second cat back if they didn't get along, wouldn't take him back. She thought maybe this highly personable cat, who actually hugged us and wanted to spend every minute with us, should be a barn cat. The doctor said my husband's allergies might play a role in the health issue, which I was pretty sure was BS and in the long term definitely turned out to be BS, but with all of this going on ... I put the second cat in a fantastic boarding facility for a few weeks while trying to find a new owner, but it was close to a holiday, and they couldn't keep him because they were already booked up. Ultimately I brought the second cat to the no-kill shelter and left him there with a care package for the next owner - some money, a note. I visited him almost every day while he was there - he had a pretty large kennel with a cat tree and a roommate. He was adopted the day after Christmas. I was heartbroken. It was probably his fourth home, even though he was the best cat ever.

And that's how I learned that sometimes, the people who abandon their pets are not terrible people.

skibob

Skiing the powder
Skier
Red/Grey was a dumb idea for a thread. This is awesome. (As a person who has whittled down her facebook feed to mostly cute animals and skiing.)

When I first met my now-husband, I had a cat, and he was concerned about being allergic to her. I told husband that the cat was non-negotiable. He was hurt, but I explained that he could find another girlfriend; the cat, who frankly was a pill, was family - and besides, there was no guarantee she'd find another good home (see: was a pill, not that good pets always get homes, either). I take the idea of a forever home seriously.

Later, we adopted another cat, mistakenly thinking my first cat wanted a buddy. The second cat was fantastic, but there was a battle royale every day in our house, and at the same time, my husband had a medical issue requiring brief hospitalization. The original owner, who had said she'd take the second cat back if they didn't get along, wouldn't take him back. She thought maybe this highly personable cat, who actually hugged us and wanted to spend every minute with us, should be a barn cat. The doctor said my husband's allergies might play a role in the health issue, which I was pretty sure was BS and in the long term definitely turned out to be BS, but with all of this going on ... I put the second cat in a fantastic boarding facility for a few weeks while trying to find a new owner, but it was close to a holiday, and they couldn't keep him because they were already booked up. Ultimately I brought the second cat to the no-kill shelter and left him there with a care package for the next owner - some money, a note. I visited him almost every day while he was there - he had a pretty large kennel with a cat tree and a roommate. He was adopted the day after Christmas. I was heartbroken. It was probably his fourth home, even though he was the best cat ever.

And that's how I learned that sometimes, the people who abandon their pets are not terrible people.
Don't get me wrong. I'm a cat person. And my favorite cat ever was definitely a "pill" (hides inside end table and viciously sneak attacks elbows when guests sit down on sofa, for example). But "post pics of cats in boxes" seems lame on the face of it. And my ultimate point is, no matter how it may sound, its NOT lame :).

And, BTW, you did not "abandon" that cat. Sounds like you went to great lengths to find it a good home. Abandoning is how I got most of the cats I've had:

-pregnant cat abandoned in upscale sub-division gives birth under my parents deck. I took one, no-kill shelter found homes for other 4 kittens. The mother nursed two abandoned litters for no-kill shelter and the manager of the shelter is so attached by then that she adopted the mother.
-"owner" has condo fire, moves out and abandons two cats to the "neighbors to take care of" and has the nerve to ask for "her cats" to be returned when she moves back in 9 mos later. I would have happily, if I thought she would care for them.
-shows up in the middle of a hurricane and refuses to leave (ok, feeding didn't help, but seemed so hungry . . .). Believe it or not, this happened TWICE!

Monique

bounceswoosh
Skier
And, BTW, you did not "abandon" that cat. Sounds like you went to great lengths to find it a good home.

Thank you. It was still a pretty awful decision that I will probably always feel guilty about. At least it gave me the opportunity to be a little less judgmental about people who leave their pets at shelters.

Wow. 12 years ago now. He had an eye thing, as I recall something about his inner eyelid being damaged, so it was always a little weepy.

PB150006.JPG

Sponsor

Staff online