• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Candy corn... food from heaven, or garbage from hell?

Candy corn... yay, or nay?

• It's great!

Votes: 12 22.6%
  • It's OK...take it or leave it

Votes: 15 28.3%
  • Disgusting!

Votes: 26 49.1%

• Total voters

dbostedo

Asst. Gathermeister
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
It's still offseason for me, and Halloween is tomorrow... so one more food poll before ski season starts.

I sometimes think I must be the only person that likes candy corn (and it's variants...)... I usually buy a few bags in October and it doesn't last as long as it should. :cool:

Any other fans?

Andy Mink

Everyone loves spring skiing but not in January
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
I like it OK. Bite the white part off the top, then the bottom, then the middle.

Jersey Skier

aka RatherPlayThanWork or Gary
Skier
It's still offseason for me, and Halloween is tomorrow... so one more food poll before ski season starts.

I sometimes think I must be the only person that likes candy corn (and it's variants...)... I usually buy a few bags in October and it doesn't last as long as it should. :cool:

Any other fans?
Well then, this is just for you.

Dwight

Practitioner of skiing, solid and liquid
Admin
SkiTalk Supporter
Mix it with peanuts and MandMs. Great snack.

Jenny

Making fresh tracks
Skier

Any other fans?
Nope, I like it, too. But I’m not even gonna try the Thanksgiving Dinner variant!

TS
dbostedo

dbostedo

Asst. Gathermeister
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
Nope, I like it, too. But I’m not even gonna try the Thanksgiving Dinner variant!
I saw that! Crazy.... seems gross...

1635604656168.png

SSSdave

life is short precious ...don't waste it
Skier
Today October 30, Halloween Eve is actually also National CANDY CORN Day!

I still have a couple of bags of candy corn left from last fall that I tend to buy dirt cheap during days following Halloween when retailers dump excesses. And yes will eat some today. I liked it as a kid and as someone with a sweet tooth that does not have an issue gaining weight eating sugar, still enjoy it.

For most today is a preparation day before their Halloween fun. I grew up in Sacramento suburbs during an era when it full of young families and Halloween was a huge much enjoyed event. And of course for working people today is their weekly reward, Saturday. But for this senior it is also my special annual birthday! Grace Slick and Henry Winkler also share this date. Later this morning with a small Ziplock bag in my pocket with some of those colorful acorns, I plan to drive the 55 miles north to the touristy north shore of San Francisco and spend the day walking about with mp3 player on its dense hilly urban streets with a bit of street dancing that are always full of people.

Ok, here is a secret of the universe... Roasting candy corn impaled on a piece of wire over a campfire brings out its best flavor.

David Chaus

Beyond Help
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
Speaking as a Type-1 diabetic, if I’m going to have any candy, it’s got to be really really good. (Forget candy, stick to extra dark chocolate).

This disgusting, vile abomination to which you refer is really really bad.

Jim Kenney

Travel Correspondent
Team Gathermeister
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
High fructose corn syrup heaven!

Main ingredients are multiple kinds of sugar/corn syrup/honey, confectioner's glaze with salt and food coloring for added nutrition.

If there is no chocolate around I will eat the damn things too.

PS: @SSSdave wins the thread for consuming not just plenty of candy corn, but one year old candy corn while feeding the broken leftovers to innocent, little trick or treaters! :roflmao::eek::beercheer:

Jenny

Making fresh tracks
Skier
I saw that! Crazy.... seems gross...

View attachment 146834
Here's a review I read. Pretty funny.

1635610764820.jpeg

Okay, I promised to report back for National Spooky Month. Aaaallllllll of y’all owe me for taking one for the team.

When you open the bag, you’ll smell only the coffee ones. This is a transparent and deliberate attempt to lull you into a false sense of security. Don’t be a sucker.

First of all, there is a special place in hell for whoever decided to make 3 of the flavors so similar in color. In a just world, this person would die alone surrounded by ugly pink floral wallpaper, after a lifetime of petty disappointments, with the sounds of a super fun and fashionable party absolutely everyone else was invited to drifting across the street.

Top left is turkey and gravy. It is disturbingly, hauntingly like candied turkey. Wrong on every level.

Top middle is stuffing. This one is an unrepentant violation of the Geneva Convention. Tastes like hate and sage. So much sage. It’s ironic, because you’ll need to burn sage to erase it from your psyche.

Top right is caramel apple pie. It’s fine, unless you pick up one of the other tan ones by mistake. Most prominent flavor is caramel, with a surprisingly natural cinnamon background, and then a crisp finish with just a faint *whisper* of eau de artificial flavoring that once spent 15 minutes in a room with an apple pie…scented Yankee Candle. With the lid closed.

Bottom left is allegedly cranberry sauce. What should have been a softball in the flavor development game instead offers nary a hint of cranberry, and not even a smidge of tartness. There is, however, the vaguest intimation of alkaloid bitterness. Cotton candy cough drop? That’s my best guess.

Bottom middle is green beans. Friends, it is unforgivable. If you left a cup of green tea on the porch in bad weather for a week, during which time it attained sentience and promptly began plotting your demise, and you hate green tea, that’s what this tastes like. There’s definitely some dirt in it, and…Is that a hint of dead leaf, or decomposing June beetle? You’ll have the stabbing pains of deep regret for company as you work that one out.

Lastly, bottom right is coffee. It’s the best one, and it’s terrible. It’s what you hoped coffee would taste like when you were five. Alarmingly sweet, kind of butterscotchy? Its second cousin twice removed has heard of coffee.

The stuffing one is by far the worst flavor. It is appalling. Pepperidge Farms has apparently taken up training assassins. I’ve met voodoo dolls with less evil intent. The developer of this flavor deserves your disdain, and for that, I salute them.

However, I think my personal pick for most offensive to the celebration of Thanksgiving food is the green bean. It’s not green bean casserole, by the way, oh no. No umami here. Raw, unholy green in flavor as well as color, with a single, one-note foghorn taste, like mowing the lawn with your mouth open. To paraphrase Douglas Adams, it is almost, but not quite, entirely unlike green beans. It’s what you might get if you described green beans to an alien who had been tasked with reproducing the flavor using only very inexpensive petroleum-based esters.

And you had never actually had green beans.

And also the alien hated its job.

Sponsor