• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

New England 2024 New England, errrr, Canada Gathering trip report, eh?

Jilly

Lead Cougar
Skier
Belleville, Ontario,/ Mont Tremblant, Quebec
I’d agree with this. Firm but edgeable base. I found more ice at Sutton (where I skidded out on the first run)
That wasn't ice. It wasn't blue and you couldn't see the grass through it. That is the definition of ice.

As for lift lines...I remember taking 45 min to get up Chair 4 on a Good Friday with warm temps and sunshine. And this trip was the first conveyor loader for me.

James

Out There
Instructor
Tragic that this translates to skis being harder to turn, not easier. How do I get the useful kind of better?
All your skis or just the Navigators?

I was going to say slow engagement but my beloved FX85s have famously uninspiring hookup—but maybe more predictable when tossed.
Heh, I would agree with that on the Fx85’s from skiing them half a day when they came out. The non metal ones. The thing is, they’re very predictable when say going off the side of the trail into a pile of something. You have confidence in the ski. They just enter and you deal with whatever. Some skis get all squirreley.

The one thing we could look at with your navigators is if the curved up part of the tip is sharp. It may be causing issues.

Tony S

I have a confusion to make ...
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
Heh, I would agree with that on the Fx85’s from skiing them half a day when they came out. The non metal ones. The thing is, they’re very predictable when say going off the side of the trail into a pile of something. You have confidence in the ski. They just enter and you deal with whatever. Some skis get all squirreley.
Well described. Love those skis.

The one thing we could look at with your navigators is if the curved up part of the tip is sharp. It may be causing issues.
I'd start with the compass.

zircon

Out on the slopes
Skier
You may be on the same path as I was. I skied nothing but Kastle for 10 years, including the FX94's, until I finally gave in to the suggestions to try Stockli. I bought 3 pairs in the span of one season and now only my MX74's occasionally see snow. @James has suggested I pick up an SL to help improve my skiing so next season that MX might end up in the corner with the other Kastles collecting dust.
Ehhhh maybe. I’ve probably half this season on SLs because of conditions and the FX85 is still my one and only (my lifeline) that I reach for 100% of the time in uncertain off piste conditions. As @James said, very predictable. Get back in the bump? They’ll buy you time to get centered. Pop off something dumb? No worries about where you’re going to land. They Just Work.

All your skis or just the Navigators?
You know the answer they’re even harder to ski than the FX in the bumps
Heh, I would agree with that on the Fx85’s from skiing them half a day when they came out.
Ha. Thinking back to my first day on the FX85s. Groomer day at Loon. Almost did a catch and release.

Navs are theoretically sharp to the contact point. Passes the fingernail test as well as sharpie and a 2nd cut file.

Sorry to fully derail the thread with “zircon needswants a new 50/50 ski” I’ll shut up now.

DebbieSue

Out on the slopes
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
I'd agree with Erik's assessment of Entonnoir... I remember once we got out it was pretty open cruising which would seem to rule out Boo-Boo which appears to empty into another gladed run.

I saw this video:

Which looks like the right thing, although @DebbieSue 's and my experience involved being swarmed by half of Quebec.
That’s the run for sure! The video captures my recollection of the experience with its various features, isolated trees, choke points, and scoping perches. Glad to see that it wasn’t just me who needed to pause now and then; patrollers were doing that too, including perching up on the banks, and they didn’t have snowboarders sliding past!!! I wonder if the swarm were regulars who knew every twist and turn. Entonnoir!!! I was taken through a gully at Alpine Meadows called Hot Wheels a few weeks ago. That was nuthin’ compared to Entonnoir!

Johnny V.

Half Fast Hobby Racer
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Just a couple more thoughts on the various areas. We skied Jay quite a few years from 2001-2008. Even though the base area has changed dramatically, no changes in the skiing experience which is good and bad. If there's a thaw and freeze cycle, it can be not great-without the woods and decent snow it can be very limited. We had discussed bringing my daughter's family up there, but after skiing it this time, we decided it's not a great place for beginners or low intermediates. As long as there is snow, Sutton is nice. We didn't get over to the blue/green trails on the right side of the hill (looking up from the lodge) and I could see spending a couple of days there. Owl's Head is good for a one day visit-nice little place.

We would have liked to participated in the dinners to spend more time with the gang, but as we were staying down by Jay, it would have been a long drive back on snowy roads afterwards. Our fault as we planned the trip at the last minute. Minor quibbles as we had a great time! We'll try to make it again next year! (and see if we can attend the National again)

skiki

Out on the slopes
Skier
. They had a green run from a lower lift that started out narrow and flat (had to pole a ways) and then ducked into the woods and became a challenging nightmare for a "Green trail" skier. (water crossings, bare spots, steep bumped up sections with no grooming, ect....)
It was not at all what I was expecting when picking a green trail that wound around the outside of the hill from slightly higher up. Those are usually fairly tame and scenic. I can't argue with the scenic part, it was pretty in there. There are more greens on the other side of the lodge, but after my Alleganys adventure I went back to the family area with my tail tucked between my legs. I was told later that the lift serving the other greens wasn't running anyways. I'd still give Sutton another shot, especially if the other green chair was running for more options.

surfsnowgirl

Instructor
Skier
Sorry that we missed this trip. We stay at the Estrimoint and usually do Orford on Saturday and Owls Head on Sunday. We sometimes avoid sutton mainly because the 2 times we've been there there has been weather and the drive was gnarly as hell even with our snow tires and awd. We might drive to Sutton for a couple days and stay there and ski and then move the party to The Estrimont for Orford. I've taken a couple privates at Sutton and their ski school is excellent. I love, love, love the Estrimont. Orford is a great mountain and possibly our favorite. Owls Head is awesome particuarly on a sunny day as the views are to die for. The lake chair wasn't runnning the last time we were there but there are some blues off of this that have the visual like you are skiing right into the lake, stunning. We came up once over Labor day and Magog is quite happening in the summer. Lots of folks on bikes and it's quite busy. The pool at the Estrimont is awesome but those hot tubs in the winter are something special. The spa is great too. We had a great snowshoe right down the street from the Estrimont. It was this lovely park off the same road with artwork displayed in the trees from local artists

We'll be back up there over MLK this coming January.

Looks like everyone had a fabulous time, I've certainly enjoyed seeing the pictures. Great job organizing Kevin.

James

Out There
Instructor
@zircon , we need a report ranking the french fries at each mountain and top of the list.

I will say the food at Jay Tramside was pretty bad, yet Sutton managed to crawl under that bar in the hamburger dept. We should’ve followed Josh outside to wait for Ramen at Jay, but it was cold.

aveski

Out on the slopes
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Thanks to @KevinF for organizing the gathering and Saturday's dinner. Thanks to @DebbieSue for organizing Raclette night. I had a great time this year! I feel that Jay and Sutton were the best and most fun days to ski. Storm skiing at Owl's Head went from dust on crust to more powdery, but we missed the great views it's famous for. I was tired on Monday, so was uninspired at Orford.
It was great skiing with old and new friends. The L'est Go pass is a good deal, especially with the "elder" discount and favorable exchange rate.
Here's some pictures from Sutton.
@mdf and @James

PXL_20240324_163035389~2.jpg
Good snow!
PXL_20240324_155742248.jpg
Bump skiing
PXL_20240324_144319716.jpg
@Tony S
PXL_20240324_144334206.jpg
Classic @Tony S

PXL_20240324_151950002.jpg
@DebbieSue

PXL_20240324_152005471~2.jpg

@zircon
PXL_20240324_152040537.jpg

PXL_20240324_152041471.jpg

@JudywV
PXL_20240324_152059294.jpg

@Erik Timmerman with @zircon
PXL_20240324_152026352.jpg

One of the groups

PXL_20240324_155747830.jpg

PXL_20240324_222148973.jpg

Raclette Night

PXL_20240324_222142858.jpg

PXL_20240324_222710613.jpg

View from the top of Orford. Owl's Head is in the center and Sutton is to the right in the distance.
PXL_20240325_143520967.jpg

@James @zircon @ScottB @Tony S @mdf
PXL_20240325_153141853.MP.jpg

Ziggy says hi.
PXL_20240326_174349964.jpg

Attachments

• PXL_20240324_151953254.jpg
    PXL_20240324_151953254.jpg
    265.7 KB · Views: 5
  • PXL_20240324_151954291.jpg
    PXL_20240324_151954291.jpg
    275.8 KB · Views: 5
  • PXL_20240324_152023703.jpg
    PXL_20240324_152023703.jpg
    309 KB · Views: 5

zircon

Out on the slopes
Skier
we need a report ranking the french fries at each mountain

Excuse me that’s frites north of the border

1. Owl’s Head - 6.5/10 the quebecois favor thin cut fries that are fried somewhere short of being crisp. These were uniformly sized, fried firm but not crunchy, and salted. Perfectly adequate with lubrication.

2. Mont Orford - 6/10 giant bowl of fries. They get a bonus for the sheer volume. Good length. Seasoned. Floppy and required a fork to eat efficiently.

3. Mont Sutton - 3.5/10 tiny irregularly cut fries. Floppy, and difficult to eat served in a narrow paper bag. Needed salt. Crispest fries of the Canadians, but that may be a function of them being 1cm long max

4. Jay Peak - 1/10 McDonald’s without the benefit of a heat lamp or salt. Ketchup couldn’t save them.

surfsnowgirl

Instructor
Skier
Owls' Head used to have amazing poutine with the prior owner. The bar at Orford has very good poutine. I do remember liking Sutton's bar, cool set up/vibe but don't remember much about their food. Burger Pub in Orford had good poutine if I recall.

James

Out There
Instructor
Excuse me that’s frites north of the border
Guess we can’t call them Freedom Fries.
I’m glad I didn’t opt for the fries at Sutton.

Could’ve gone for the Poutine at the Orford bar. But the Owl’s head Poutine didn’t inspire me on further research. Personally, I thought judicious use of ketchup improved it.

There there was huge controversy as the cheese curds were underneath the frites. Should’ve been labeled Poutine Renversé. I wasn’t allowed to eat them until it was flipped upside down and corrected.

Owl’s Head’s coffee, Cafe Spécialité, made without human intervention, was good and decently hot. Gets the coffee award.

Sponsor

Staff online