• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

California/Nevada 2024 National Gathering Tahoe Live Trip Report

mdf

entering the Big Couloir
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
where was that finale dinner ?
It was River Ranch Lodge, right at the bottom of the Alpine Road.
I was surprised -- every time I've driven by I figured it was a casual après type place.
It was fancy, and the food and wine were very good.

(Wine was Amendment XXI, a Bordeaux-style blend from Napa.)

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
I was surprised -- every time I've driven by I figured it was a casual après type place.

I believe @The Dad talked about that place as a fine dining experience but I've never been.

Stev

Orange Mocha Frappuccino
Skier
You are one of a select few that have skied Chez Ziggy, it is even more exclusive than the YC

@Tricia
@Andy Mink
@Winks
@Philpug
and now
@mdf
Phil,
How do you feel about setting up reciprocal benefits between season pass holders at Chez Ziggy and Mount Sputnik?
(The only potential issue is that the skiing conditions at Mount Sputnik are usually the best when many of the roads are closed.)
msthreeIMG1326crcr010123.jpg

Rainbow Jenny

Making fresh tracks
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter

How would you compare River Ranch with Sunnyside, aside from river vs. lake view, fancier vs slightly more casual, wrt to food and wine?

Kinda funny since I was at River Ranch waiting before Sunnyside Friday. Then y’all decided to go to River Ranch Saturday.

slidingmike

Going downhill fast...
Skier
Thank you @dbostedo , @Philpug , @Tricia , @Stephen for setting this up -- it was a very worthwhile event and I really enjoyed meeting and skiing with so many of the characters on this forum. I've learned that I want to be @TahoeCharlie when I grow up!

Apologies to @Tony S and crew for going AWOL on Saturday at Alpine. I could see that they were going to open the lifts early, and those first few runs on fresh corduroy before all the folks get out of the lodge are often my favorite of the day -- so I didn't want to miss that while you were all booting up.
I figured I'd catch up with you after a couple of quick Summit laps, but other than a few sightings from the lift I never managed to find you again. I hope you had as great a day on the steep north facing slopes as I did!

Rainbow Jenny

Making fresh tracks
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
@Rainbow Jenny , how is the knee?
Knee is fine, I compensate by avoiding weight bearing on that knee which now has led to bilateral hip discomfort. Cannot possibly try to outsmart the body. Just been to patiently wait for Friday’s MRI.

But it’s reassuring to know that meniscus tear recovery is shorter than ACL.

Thanks, @SKI-3PO.

mdf

entering the Big Couloir
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
How would you compare River Ranch with Sunnyside, aside from river vs. lake view, fancier vs slightly more casual, wrt to food and wine?

Kinda funny since I was at River Ranch waiting before Sunnyside Friday. Then y’all decided to go to River Ranch Saturday.
River Ranch was slightly fancier and a bit less noisy. Both had good food and wine, but a slight difference in RR 's favor.

We had a bottle at RR so I didn't pay that much attention to the by-the-glass selection, but I seem to recall it had more good choices.

SSSdave

life is short precious ...don't waste it
Skier
Group shot at Diamond Peak minus this person.

Skitalk-group1.jpg

Below is a 219 second edited mix of short GoPro video clips from Thursday March 7, 2024 at Diamond Peak. Not much skiing but clips of members and their skis. Would have liked to have recorded more with more members and their skiing but was not well prepared given the weather setting up my GoPro.

Below is a 4:20 minute GoPro video from Tuesday March 5, 2024 at Mount Rose with Tricia showing mr dave fun low gradient Around-The-World run features.

Will delete both these videos from my http://www.youtube.com/@davids1586 Youtube account in about a week.

The processed large mp4 files for the next 7 days may be downloaded at www.transfernow.net through Sunday March 18 on the below links:

atGH010972c.mp4 170 megabytes

arGH010920c.mp4 200 megabytes

TahoeCharlie

...Major Tom...
Skier
You can either be like @TahoeCharlie or grow up, you cannot do both.
Well, back in the late '60's, early '70's, living in Marin County (hippy days), I didn't think I'd grow up let alone believe I'd be still alive and skiing at 84. Owned a popular restaurant that had live music, so lots of smoky parties and I drove a Maserati (does 185); so lucky to still be here.

textrovert

Reelin' in the years
Skier
Well, back in the late '60's, early '70's, living in Marin County (hippy days), I didn't think I'd grow up let alone believe I'd be still alive and skiing at 84. Owned a popular restaurant that had live music, so lots of smoky parties and I drove a Maserati (does 185); so lucky to still be here.
Life's been good Joe :ogbiggrin:

The restaurant sounds awesome! Do you know if it's still around in that area?

John Webb

mdskier
Skier
A lot of information on power failure at Palisades Alpine yesterday at https://unofficialalpine.com/?p=20760 including a comment mentioning our Gathering by @John Webb. I was unable to get much information before I left although Mountain Host nearby tried to be helpful. Maybe cell service was overloaded or down.
The Unofficial Alpine guys who are locals who ski and post almost every day ( one has skied 106 days this season) say they never figured out exactly what caused Fridays power failure. It’s on Liberty Utilities.

TahoeCharlie

...Major Tom...
Skier
@Jim Kenney Thanks for making me a celebrity - my 15 minutes of fame! Awesome photos! Had a great time skiing with you and all the other skitalkers. Nice to put some faces next to the "names". Sorry I didn't meet more of you, but I don't ski in storms or poor visibility so missed the first few days. Didn't realize my "age" would be such a thing. Glad no one had to wait for me. But thinking about it, I am the oldest skier I know; all my ski buddies are in their 60's and low 70's and, don't tell them, but I ski better then most of them.

Thanks to @Philpug, @Tricia, and @dbostedo for hosting this event. Wish we would have had better conditions so all the "visitors" could have enjoyed more of our awesome tahoe resorts.

John Webb

mdskier
Skier

River Ranch was deserted for years.
Something changed. Maybe a new chef. Packed and hard to find parking. Not to mention great après ski With food 1/3 off till 6pm and $5 drafts or well drinks till 6. I hit it twice last week.

Sponsor

Staff online