• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Colorado 2023-2024 Steamboat Resort/Conditions/Meetups

pete

not peace but 2 Beers!
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
FYI,

I have Ikon full passes so if someone needs, I might have some Friends and family passes I can gift. Ikon is noting 40% off so that's a nice cut off the crazy price for a lift.

PM me, as noted I have some, and if you know you will use em, would consider if you haven't an Ikon or friend with one.

dwlighting

Putting on skis
Skier
FYI,

I have Ikon full passes so if someone needs, I might have some Friends and family passes I can gift. Ikon is noting 40% off so that's a nice cut off the crazy price for a lift.

PM me, as noted I have some, and if you know you will use em, would consider if you haven't an Ikon or friend with one.
Pete - that is very generous of you. Thank you. I have the full Ikon as well, so I am covered for my son. Thanks again!

raisingarizona

Out on the slopes
Skier
Hows Fish Creek Canyon skiing?

I spent many days back in there in 96-97 and I think it would be interesting to see how they are managing it now as part of the ski area.

SpikeDog

You want Big Air, kid?
Skier
Skiing the 'Boat Feb 15-17. Looking forward to checking out the new Mahogany Ridge chair - is this what you mean by Fish Creek Canyon?

Looking forward to the second part of the Wild Blue Gondi. I rode the bottom part of it last year. Wonder if it'll get more traffic now, because it was usually deserted.

@dwlighting - I'm not going to name any of my favorites, but I haven't really been in any bad ones in Steamboat, just busy ones. For dinner, you might try driving towards the west end of town, a ways past where people can walk in the downtown (if you like pizza or BBQ).

Skiandride

Booting up
Skier
Skiing the 'Boat Feb 15-17. Looking forward to checking out the new Mahogany Ridge chair - is this what you mean by Fish Creek Canyon?

Looking forward to the second part of the Wild Blue Gondi. I rode the bottom part of it last year. Wonder if it'll get more traffic now, because it was usually deserted.

@dwlighting - I'm not going to name any of my favorites, but I haven't really been in any bad ones in Steamboat, just busy ones. For dinner, you might try driving towards the west end of town, a ways past where people can walk in the downtown (if you like pizza or BBQ).
I’d say the new gondola has improved the experience for beginner skiers but kind of hurt everyone else. I has brought so many more bodies to the top of the mountain. Sunshine was always busyish but it is now packed constantly. Folks that never left Why Not are now speed bumps all over Wally World

raisingarizona

Out on the slopes
Skier

It would be the canyon skiers right from that new chairlift. The new "extreme" (it's not really that wild) terrain zone. Maybe it hasn't been opened yet? I can't get an answer from anyone on here.

PlainsSkier

Out on the slopes
Skier
steamboat.jpg

Got into Steamboat this morning, parking was a bit chaotic but the lifts were surpisingly not that bad. Got up and did a run down shadows, snow was kind of dense and my legs were burning after. The trees by three o'clock had some better snow but decided to opt for the hike up to North St Pats and East Face for my next few runs, snow was great up top.
Steamboat3.jpg

Finished the day with a run down the ridge and onto a very bumped out valley view. I have one more day here tomorrow before making my way back to Denver.
steamboat2.jpg

pete

not peace but 2 Beers!
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
It would be the canyon skiers right from that new chairlift. The new "extreme" (it's not really that wild) terrain zone. Maybe it hasn't been opened yet? I can't get an answer from anyone on here.
I can't address the ski quality, as the new area is a bit beyond my trust level of skills, but there is a youtube video 2 weeks old, I couldn't tell where he specifically boarded but did do the Mahogany Lift at around 3:50 min into his video.

note too, the far right on map, Endless Gully, to Two Step show a Hike Out, which I recall is noted as 40 min back to lift.

When I was there, Jan 13th or 14th, riding Wild Blue, some locals noted that the boat finally got a good dump and they wouldn't consider the area until after the next one, so it appears things have filled in and weather shows possible blizzard in next two days.

The Steamboat site shows the runs (e.g. Endless Gully, Boulder Field, Milk Run, Two Step) are open:
https://www.steamboat.com/the-mountain/mountain-report#lift-and-trail-status

Folks are friendly so I'd suspect just finding a person who's skied/boarded there, liftie or on lift) will give you a live person update.

Circled area is the new area opened area and lift, I believe it encompasses parts of the Fish Creek Falls area, however I forgot to what degree but here's an article that covers some of this:
https://www.steamboatmagazine.com/2023/12/08/475399/on-the-mountain-off-the-piste

Mahogany Ridge Area Steamboat.jpg

pete

not peace but 2 Beers!
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
FYI,

weather wise just read Steamboat had 27" this last weekend and more coming this week:

SpikeDog

You want Big Air, kid?
Skier
I hope I don't blunder into a hike out situation in the new terrain. A 40 min hike would blow me up for the week. It's hard to eyeball where the bail out point is off of Endless Gully on the map.

pete

not peace but 2 Beers!
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
I hope I don't blunder into a hike out situation in the new terrain. A 40 min hike would blow me up for the week. It's hard to eyeball where the bail out point is off of Endless Gully on the map.
I'm gonna venture that anything right (downhill going) of "Edge of the World" run will be hike out or high risk of some hike up.

But they added a Ski Patrol hut so again, I'd simply ask.

edit: reading this info, it does say entering any of the above runs puts you into Fish Creek Canyon and you hike out:

edit,edit: just FYI from masterplan: "Guests inexperienced with the terrain and unprepared for the area’s technical difficulty, such as cliff bands present in the northern portion of the area often require ski patrol assistance to safely exit or to respond to medical emergencies"
(not passing judgements, just an FYI)

I like Google Maps Topo for info but the new lift/runs aren't shown. I will guess that Edge of the World runs up near the ridge top and hence why I'm guessing right of it is into the valley and hike out .. but again, I'm guessing/speculating based on map.

Here's a link to Steamboats Masterplan ... again doesn't show the run:

Last edited:

dbostedo

Asst. Gathermeister
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
I'm gonna venture that anything right (downhill going) of "Edge of the World" run will be hike out or high risk of some hike up.

But they added a Ski Patrol hut so again, I'd simply ask.

edit: reading this info, it does say entering any of the above runs puts you into Fish Creek Canyon and you hike out:

edit,edit: just FYI from masterplan: "Guests inexperienced with the terrain and unprepared for the area’s technical difficulty, such as cliff bands present in the northern portion of the area often require ski patrol assistance to safely exit or to respond to medical emergencies"
(not passing judgements, just an FYI)

I like Google Maps Topo for info but the new lift/runs aren't shown. I will guess that Edge of the World runs up near the ridge top and hence why I'm guessing right of it is into the valley and hike out .. but again, I'm guessing/speculating based on map.

Here's a link to Steamboats Masterplan ... again doesn't show the run:

Fatmap has the new terrain.

1707196927750.png

The contour line that in part runs along the Endless Gully run is 8250 ffet. The next one that runs just about the bottom of the list is 8000 feet.

raisingarizona

Out on the slopes
Skier
I can't address the ski quality, as the new area is a bit beyond my trust level of skills, but there is a youtube video 2 weeks old, I couldn't tell where he specifically boarded but did do the Mahogany Lift at around 3:50 min into his video.

note too, the far right on map, Endless Gully, to Two Step show a Hike Out, which I recall is noted as 40 min back to lift.

When I was there, Jan 13th or 14th, riding Wild Blue, some locals noted that the boat finally got a good dump and they wouldn't consider the area until after the next one, so it appears things have filled in and weather shows possible blizzard in next two days.

The Steamboat site shows the runs (e.g. Endless Gully, Boulder Field, Milk Run, Two Step) are open:
https://www.steamboat.com/the-mountain/mountain-report#lift-and-trail-status

Folks are friendly so I'd suspect just finding a person who's skied/boarded there, liftie or on lift) will give you a live person update.

Circled area is the new area opened area and lift, I believe it encompasses parts of the Fish Creek Falls area, however I forgot to what degree but here's an article that covers some of this:
https://www.steamboatmagazine.com/2023/12/08/475399/on-the-mountain-off-the-piste

View attachment 224072
If you like cliffs, pillows and steeper terrain than what most of the ski area has it's a pretty fun zone in there. In the mid 90's we'd get two to maybe three laps in there some days. At least I think we did 3 sometimes, it's been a long time so I could be wrong. Next to Endless Gully there's a large cliff band called The Devils Wall. A local skier aired it back around the early 2000's. It was probably close to a hundred feet of vertical fall time. The hike out was a lot longer and you ended up BC ski way then you'd have to loop back up and around to get to Last Chance below St. Pats (Gate D back then). The hike out still makes their best terrain a bit of a Pia unfortunately. Steamboat always needed some more advanced terrain imo but it will be a bummer for locals that are used to going back there whenever they wanted. Now the area will be controlled and often closed when before experienced skiers could navigate the dangers without incident.

dwlighting

Putting on skis
Skier
OPENSNOW has repeatedly been showing rain in the forecasts. Has it actually been raining? .

Amazing that forecasts call for rain in northern Colorado in February.

We're coming for a quick three days of skiing 24th through 26th and keeping fingers crossed that conditions are decent.

dbostedo

Asst. Gathermeister
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
OPENSNOW has repeatedly been showing rain in the forecasts.
Where are you seeing that? Maybe you're mis-reading something? It's been cold, and there hasn't been any rain in the forecast the last couple of weeks. Repeated rain on the mountain would be a real oddity in Colorado in the winter (though can happen a little, occasionally).

dwlighting

Putting on skis
Skier
Where are you seeing that? Maybe you're mis-reading something? It's been cold, and there hasn't been any rain in the forecast the last couple of weeks. Repeated rain on the mountain would be a real oddity in Colorado in the winter (though can happen a little, occasionally).
Agree !

But, purple on OPENSNOW means rain or freezing rain. Screenshot_20240218-115622.png Screenshot_20240218-115656.png

Jwrags

Aka pwdrhnd
Skier
I just skied there Monday-Wednesday and the mountain is skiing well. As for rain, the base elevation is 6900 feet and the predicted snow level is 7700. Certainly everything above Thunderhead will be fine. As an aside, Pony Express is broken and needs a new motor. If you want to access the new terrain you will have to make a short hike up to the top of Pony and then drop in. They hope to have it up and running later this week. We never skied there because of it.

dwlighting

Putting on skis
Skier
As an aside, Pony Express is broken and needs a new motor...... They hope to have it up and running later this week.
Thanks.

I saw this on their Insta feed. They said probably 5 days from when they source the motor which makes me think it will be unlikely before next weekend. But fingers crossed.

Sponsor