• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Colorado 2023-2024 Steamboat Resort/Conditions/Meetups

pete

not peace but 2 Beers!
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Jan 5th through 12ish in 2024 ....

nice @Tytlynz64

TS
Tytlynz64

Tytlynz64

Getting off the lift
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
I think @Ron is still the reigning insider of Steamboat. Perhaps he can add flavor to any changes for the upcoming season. Looking at an early bird 12/18 - 12/21 trip and a return in February 2024.

pete

not peace but 2 Beers!
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
I think @Ron is still the reigning insider of Steamboat. Perhaps he can add flavor to any changes for the upcoming season. Looking at an early bird 12/18 - 12/21 trip and a return in February 2024.
ooohh, I'm pondering early season Dec trip if I can swing it.

Hopefully @Ron will return here for his wisdom

Terms of newer Steamboat stuff is:

• Wild Blue Gondola is having rope haul in prep for having a gondola to the top of Tomahawk - top of Sunshine (from base)
  • Sunshine area expanded snowmaking - to assure early season skiing
  • Mahogany Towers are being installed for prep of the expanded Pony side - Fishcreek expansion
  • Moonlight has added snow making

So the Boat has quite a few new things this last summer, the Pony expansion to me sounds pretty interesting.

Lane Myer

Putting on skis
Skier
Two trips to Steamboat on the agenda this year. A Christmas trip with my wife and son, which is starting to become a nice little family tradition the past few years. Checking out the Rabbit Ears for the first time this year. And then back late Feb/early Mar to introduce my BIL and SIL and their two young girls to the Boat. This will be their first ever trip out West (from MN) so can't wait to see the looks on their little faces heading down Tomahawk for the first time. Really excited to take the new Wild Blue up/down and to/from Wallyworld with them. The end of day madness on Broadway and Elkhead can be a bit much for first timers so nice to have that option if needed. My teenager will no doubt ditch us for the new Mahogany Ridge expansion and other favs off Storm Peak with his buddies.

dbostedo

Asst. Gathermeister
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
This will be their first ever trip out West (from MN) so can't wait to see the looks on their little faces heading down Tomahawk for the first time.
That's a lot of fun! Are they flying? Into Hayden or Denver? The drive from the airport may be eye-opening too :)

Lane Myer

Putting on skis
Skier
Ha yes they are flying United through Denver with a connect to Hayden. My BIL despises winter driving so we took that out of the equation first thing. My next agenda item is getting him into some proper boots and out of the two sizes too big Play-It-Again Sports specials he picked up a few years ago when they wanted to get girls skiing. He's notoriously cheap so that may take me a little longer. It's a favorite past time of mine to help him spend money, so also looking forward to introducing my nieces to shopping on main street:)

pete

not peace but 2 Beers!
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Two trips to Steamboat on the agenda this year. A Christmas trip with my wife and son, which is starting to become a nice little family tradition the past few years. Checking out the Rabbit Ears for the first time this year. And then back late Feb/early Mar to introduce my BIL and SIL and their two young girls to the Boat. This will be their first ever trip out West (from MN) so can't wait to see the looks on their little faces heading down Tomahawk for the first time. Really excited to take the new Wild Blue up/down and to/from Wallyworld with them. The end of day madness on Broadway and Elkhead can be a bit much for first timers so nice to have that option if needed. My teenager will no doubt ditch us for the new Mahogany Ridge expansion and other favs off Storm Peak with his buddies.
nice thing is that the Boats added snow capability on the Sunshine side ... so the coverage should be above average.

If like last year, then maybe some stellar early season coverage.

What's the ages of the kids for the spring trip, they experienced and good technique or more newbies looking to improve?

depending on the time, I've been lucky where my kids got semi private lessons at the group rate, no other skiers with em.

Lessons more pricey now but some do offer a $100 lift add on, so a wee bit less of a hit

Lane Myer

Putting on skis
Skier
nice thing is that the Boats added snow capability on the Sunshine side ... so the coverage should be above average.

If like last year, then maybe some stellar early season coverage.

What's the ages of the kids for the spring trip, they experienced and good technique or more newbies looking to improve?

depending on the time, I've been lucky where my kids got semi private lessons at the group rate, no other skiers with em.

Lessons more pricey now but some do offer a $100 lift add on, so a wee bit less of a hit
They’re 8 and 11. Been doing Ski Jammers, which is a season long community ski program for kids in the burbs or Minneapolis for the past couple years so I think they should at least be ready to have fun. But yes I’ve planted the lesson seed with dad, although I think dad might need it more than the girls!

pete

not peace but 2 Beers!
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
They’re 8 and 11. Been doing Ski Jammers, which is a season long community ski program for kids in the burbs or Minneapolis for the past couple years so I think they should at least be ready to have fun. But yes I’ve planted the lesson seed with dad, although I think dad might need it more than the girls!
Nice ages for skiing with, especially if they're ski buddies and not too competitive with one another.

It's tough to lose a ski day with kids to a class but too, a class if doing trees will show em some paths and fun things not as common in the midwest. Too, they're good on the safety teaching in regards to tree wells, what to look for etc.

El Nino year is predicted, the Boat I believe can be either way with snow but I noted the "trend" is more early and late season snows.

Weather's been crazy this last year, so who know, but I'm ok with hoping for a good early build up.

Drahtguy Kevin

Après aficionado
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
I‘m around Steamboat when the conditions are proper. No definite dates planned. The forecast is my scheduler.

pete

not peace but 2 Beers!
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Pondering a December trip, maybe second week if things work out well.

need to check on condo near the slopes I've liked well. 200 yds or so to the Gondola, maybe 300 to the Wild Blue

skidrew

Getting off the lift
Skier
My next agenda item is getting him into some proper boots and out of the two sizes too big Play-It-Again Sports specials he picked up a few years ago when they wanted to get girls skiing. He's notoriously cheap so that may take me a little longer. It's a favorite past time of mine to help him spend money, so also looking forward to introducing my nieces to shopping on main street:)
Can you find a shop that will let him demo some boots for part of a day? If he's really two sizes too large surely a couple of hours in good boots will convince him to open the wallet.

Lane Myer

Putting on skis
Skier
New winter trail map is live on the steamboat app…boulder field in mahogany ridge area looks interesting…

raisingarizona

Out on the slopes
Skier
New winter trail map is live on the steamboat app…boulder field in mahogany ridge area looks interesting…
Endless Gully and the Boulder Field are classic FCC lines. Wow, I didn't know they were going to bring all of that actually into the footprint. That's very cool and gives the Boat some much better legit steep terrain and even with the hike it's much better than trying to lap the Chutes and St. Patts Bowl areas.

pete

not peace but 2 Beers!
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter

Sponsor

Staff online