• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

2016-2017 Four Corners (AZ, NM, S.CO) Weather & Conditions

dean_spirito

Freestyle Ski Coach
Skier

SkiNurse

Spontaneous Christy
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter

SlideWright

aka Alpinord
Industry Insider
SkiTalk Supporter
Word on the street is that Taos is skiing like a dream! Has anybody been out that way in the last few days? I'm thinking that it might be time to start planning a pilgrimage!!

@SkiNurse @SBrown @FairToMiddlin @Chris Geib @Drahtguy Kevin

Well, Taos is claiming 18" more base than this, at Purg, yesterday after the recent storms that hit both. My guess is that if you couldn't have a good time, you'd be doing it wrong:

IMG_3416.jpg

EDIT: Like Telluride, IIRC, Taos needs 5 feet to cover stuff on the steeper terrain and Taos looks to be over that now.

Last edited:

Spooky

Getting off the lift
Skier
I spent Christmas in Telluride. Conditions were good with 5 in coming in Friday morning and 11 into Christmas morning. The SSW winds from the last storms tend to rip Gold Hill of most snow but is still skiable with a little caution.

That wind does tend to fill the Gold Hill chutes and they look great. But it could be some time before they stabilize and open up.
gold_hill.jpg

Black Iron bowl isn't open yet though. It looks juicy, but again will take some time to open. The control work on Westlake looks promising that it won't be long to open. Gold Hill 9 and 10 in the background look ready to rip.

black_iron.jpg

TS
Core2

Core2

Making fresh tracks
Skier
I have learned I suck at driving in Mexico.

Jerez

Skiing the powder
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Just got my brand new powder skis mounted up and they are itching to go deep.

BUT

Who to believe?

FreshyMaps-, SnowForecast- and OpenSnow-.com all have different forecasts for this storm.

Have any of you all done a comparison to see whose forecasts are the most consistently correct? Two of the three totally blew the last couple of forecasts for NM.

Thursday and Friday
Snowforecast 30-40 for Taos(TF) 6-11 for Wolf Creek (W-Th) 8-14 for Santa Fe (TF) 6-12(WT)Monarch
OpenSnow 9-17 for Taos 15-29 for Wolf Creek (W-Th) 8-14 for Santa Fe(TF) 13- 27 (WT) Monarch
FreshyMaps (5day) 8 for Taos 14 for Wolf Creek 1 for Santa Fe 23 Monarch

janeskis

Putting on skis
Skier
Well, you can't go wrong at Wolf Creek when there's a southwest wind.... They will probably end up with multiple feet out of this.

Jeff N

I'm an anachronism
Skier
Just got my brand new powder skis mounted up and they are itching to go deep.

BUT

Who to believe?

I think the difficulty is that the forecasting models are going crazy at the moment. This is how a local forecaster/NOAA gadfly summed up the situation yesterday for the Durango area.

1/2/17 Crazy models
If it seems like I am hung up on this, I am. Just when I think things can't get any crazier with the models the GFS came up with this last night showing 8-10 inches of liquid precip falling in the La Plata's over the next 10 days. Translated, that would be about 12 feet of snow. Next up is the Canadian model, it shows about half that, still kooky. So, looking at the thickness charts we talked about last week,I was trying to get a handle on Thursday and Friday of this week. Look at the change between the evening GFS run and the overnight run, both of these are supposed to be for this Friday (1/6) morning at 5 am. They are both the GFS and the model runs are 6 hours apart. The trends with the models had been to have something close to reality for 5-7 days out, then as that time period approached the models would diverge showing a number of different solutions only to come back to the original idea 1 to 2 days before. Now I don't know what exactly they are doing, but it seems like they are always showing something major for 7-10 days from whenever you look at them. For this week, we have seen everything from an arctic airmass to a ridge with warming temperatures, from dry air to a foot of liquid. It becomes impossible to have any certainty beyond 24-36 hours. We will just have to roll with everything as it comes.

The general consensus for the next 24 hours is more light snow especially later tonight. As little as an inch or no accumulation for low elevations. 3-6 at 7,500' or higher and few pockets above 8,500' could see 6-10". Right now it looks like late morning Tuesday will be the lull between the light snow and whatever is going to happen later this week (arctic outbreak, warm front, flood, blizzard) sounds ridiculous, but I have seen everyone one of those scenarios in the last several runs.

https://www.facebook.com/DurangoSnowLovers/posts/1446216042086039

Jeff N

I'm an anachronism
Skier
Well, you can't go wrong at Wolf Creek when there's a southwest wind.... They will probably end up with multiple feet out of this.

This is a smart woman. Is she taken?

@Jerez

Of those you listed, I would bet on Opensnow. The wild differences in forecasts are probably based on the different times that the forecasters are looking at model runs, and in this case the runs have been wildly different even hours apart.

Joel does the Colorado Opensnow daily and I guess does a weekly New Mexico report? In any case, he updates more frequently than the rest, and in my eyes has a lot more credibility. My (and my wife's above) experience with Wolfie weather is that SW flow and moisture in the air means NUKAGE.

That said, I'll add a few caveats.

1. Small storms typically overproduce at Wolf. An 8" forecast often turns into triple that. Big time storms like this one often under-produce or hit expectations but I have yet to see a big forecast (36+" where wolf blows the forecast away. Meanwhile, when I see a few days with 4-8" a day and southwest flow, I dig out the snorkel because tons of those cycles have turned into 80-100" of snow.

I think the reason is that with smaller storms, a few miles can make an enormous difference, and Wolf's microclimate is such that it will draw much more snow than a model aggregating point forecasts several miles across. However, with massive storms the microclimate effects matter less, and 100 miles of similar elevations may see similar amounts of snow.

2. When there is a massive forecast like this that shows up 10 days out, Wolf tends to get mobbed. The uncertainty with this one and the fact that most of the West is looking at the possibility of crazy forecasts may moderate the crowds some, but I've learned to be wary about crowds when a big time forecast shows up with enough time for people to book a trip. It may not suck compared to a Vail/Breck powder day, but the parking lots fill quickly and Alberta chair gets maybe 5 minute lines. Good skiing to be had but not the endless untracked that a typical Wolfie powder day is.

My standing recommendation is to look for those stacked up 4-8" forecast days with SW flow and book that trip. You'll feel like a genius in the empty parking lot and snow that would be all time most other places.

TS
Core2

Core2

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Well, not sure how much it is going to snow but anything that does come down at Wolf is landing on an 80+ inch base. I don't think epic is a descriptive enough of a word to describe what it is going to be like up there if some of these predictions come true. Time to get a road trip planned. @Jeff N you going to be buying some day passes? I need another guided Alberta session.

Jeff N

I'm an anachronism
Skier
Maybe. If this storm actually dumps 8" of moisture in the La Platas, I'm going to be snowbound until June.

Jerez

Skiing the powder
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Ah what a wonderful dilemma. 18" or 30", it's all delightful.

Whichever it is, it looks like I will get to inaugurate my 100-Eights in honest-to-goodness powder. Whoopee!!

Sponsor

Staff online