• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

0 base bevel for SL?

crgildart

Gravity Slave
Skier
"Coach" doesn't necessarily translate to actual skiing ability, IME. My brother's mogul coach was amazing and has moved on to coaching for the USST but couldn't ski at the level of the athletes he coached even at a junior level and was quite aware of that fact. :huh:
His skiing looked great most of the day although he was mostly standing around. His last run looked technically sound until it didn't. He wasn't that old either, so likely there because he had recent race experience.

End of the day, I don't believe anyone short of a college or FIS level racer would benefit any more from a 0 than a 0.5.. and it might be a mistake if you're not 100% focused on that ride..

oldschoolskier

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Which skis in particular you're talking about? The torsional stiffness of skis varies greatly.

This thread was never about me wanting to do anything, it was about verifying my suspicion that many/most SL racers use 0 bevel (despite what I'd been told elsewhere).
Straight ski (likely you've never skied on them since you've asked).

As to Zero bevel go read some of @Atomicman comments (amongst others) in some the significantly older threads about base bevels, variable bevels. Additionally you find discussions on intentional use of burrs for addition bite.

The general view is 0.5 to 1 is considered the norm, with NO Burr.

One thing no one has mentioned is the use of early rise which helps with a touch of forgiveness even for the elite.

oldschoolskier

Making fresh tracks
Skier
His skiing looked great most of the day although he was mostly standing around. His last run looked technically sound until it didn't. He wasn't that old either, so likely there because he had recent race experience.

End of the day, I don't believe anyone short of a college or FIS level racer would benefit any more from a 0 than a 0.5.. and it might be a mistake if you're not 100% focused on that ride..
I agree, I ski 0.5 on all my skis and am fully aware of the focus it takes, on a moments in attention (generally ultra slow speed) results in body slam, tunes like this require commitment (take that however you want as its meant that way :cool:).

tomahawkins

Making fresh tracks
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
I am my own service tech.
Any hookiness could probably be cured by gummi stone detune on the slope - a temporary fix.
I've certainly skied shaped skis set at 0.
I read somewhere here recently that entire rental fleets are sometimes set at 0, ie I think you guys are being overly dramatic re the consequences of no bevel.
Do it and please report back. I’d also like to know. 0.5 degrees on a 1-2 mm edge seems insignificant.

markojp

mtn rep for the gear on my feet
Industry Insider
Instructor
This thread was never about me wanting to do anything, it was about verifying my suspicion that many/most SL racers use 0 bevel (despite what I'd been told elsewhere).

Nor Am and up, yes. Much below that, no.

markojp

mtn rep for the gear on my feet
Industry Insider
Instructor
also ... not on grippy snow (e.g., Colorado)
Yep! Super variable. Personally, i don't know anyone rec racing or tech skiing on a zero base bevel, but if the OP wants to give it a go, I say have at it. There seems to be a pretty major disconnect between what worked in the staight ski era vs. now, but he'll figure it out. Or not.

KingGrump

Most Interesting Man In The World
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
There seems to be a pretty major disconnect between what worked in the staight ski era vs. now, but he'll figure it out. Or not.

What's this straight ski era that you speak of?
There is no record of it in my recent memory bank. I may have to go into my vault of ancient
antiquities.

Guy in Shorts

Tree Psycho
Skier
Do a significant % of people run 0 base bevel for SL (perhaps on iciest courses)?
No but a small % do, I know of two friends who do have some of their race skis tuned to zero. Both are Masters racers still trying to stay on top of the heap. Having quicker side to side action helps to make-up for loss of flexibility as they age. I have made several laps on these skis as one of these friends is a BSB (Boot Sole Buddy). They must be kept on edge or they will punish you.

oldschoolskier

Making fresh tracks
Skier
203 Blizzard Firebird Thermo RS race room stock
205 Blizzard Thermo RS
200 Atomic SL race room stock

Just to name a few. I still have those.

Swede

Making fresh tracks
Skier
In SL yes, some racers doesn’t ”hang” the base. It makes the ski much grabbier and it will hook up very quickly. Not all athletes like that and will put some angle to the base. In other diciplines some base bevel is needed. The faster and straighter—the more bevel.

Sponsor