• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

0 base bevel for SL?

arficus

Putting on skis
Skier
Do a significant % of people run 0 base bevel for SL (perhaps on iciest courses)?

TS
A

arficus

Putting on skis
Skier
Thanks. I've been out-of-the-loop for quite some time, but when discussing bevel with folks around here (not in race section) there was near consensus that 0 bevel was never desired, so I'd guess the % of normal skiers who purposely choose 0 is close to 0. My spidey senses told me that 0 might not be so bad, especially on narrow skis, on ice.

Last edited:

Gina D

Getting off the lift
Skier
I know a former race coach who skis recreationally now, he uses a 0 base bevel on all his skis.

Primoz

Skiing the powder
Skier
There's not really "softer condtions" on WC :ogbiggrin: But not really. Racers keep angles same regardless if it's more or less icy. Technicians make ski a bit less or a bit more sharp depending on snow, but angles remain same, as it can change your skiing too much, and you want to keep these things consistent, not to add another variable 30min before race. Some racers use 3 (all time same), others use 6 and yet another ones use anything in between. But they normally prefer same angle all along, except when testing some new stuff.

BLiP

Out on the slopes
Skier
My spidey senses told me that 0 might not be so bad, especially on narrow skis, on ice.
Try it. What’s the worst that could happen? Skis are too reactive/catchy and you go down. Then you’ll know.

crgildart

Gravity Slave
Skier
The worst that can happen is you end up riding a hooked edge in to the woods because you're unable to get it to disengage as easily..

TS
A

arficus

Putting on skis
Skier
I am my own service tech.
Any hookiness could probably be cured by gummi stone detune on the slope - a temporary fix.
I've certainly skied shaped skis set at 0.
I read somewhere here recently that entire rental fleets are sometimes set at 0, ie I think you guys are being overly dramatic re the consequences of no bevel.

BLiP

Out on the slopes
Skier
You seem to already know what you want to do so just do it. You don’t need permission from strangers on the internet. Not sure what you’re really looking for, other than someone to support the decision you’ve already made. You want to run a zero base? Go for it. It’s not overly common outside of high level racing and most people wouldn’t like it, but maybe you will. And you probably won’t die. No promises though.

crgildart

Gravity Slave
Skier
I am my own service tech.
Any hookiness could probably be cured by gummi stone detune on the slope - a temporary fix.
I read somewhere here recently that entire rental fleets are sometimes set at 0, ie I think you guys are being overly dramatic re the consequences of no bevel.

The worst that can happen is you end up riding a hooked edge in to the woods because you're unable to get it to disengage as easily..
I'll add that I saw this happen to a race coach.. He hooked his little toe side and was flailing frantically as he careened in to the woods and slid in to some rocks after he finally fell. He was wearing a helmet but it still sounded awful when he hit the rocks. He wasn't moving when they hauled him out of there. Bad scene.. No idea what his bevel was but I also have skied a zero on carving skis. It definitely hooks up a lot deeper and harder to disengage between turns..

It's totally doable but I've decided the risks outweigh the rewards for mere mortal recreational skiing

Ogg

Skiing the powder
Skier
I'm finding it hard to grasp the concept that a zero base in so dangerous and you might die or be seriously maimed if you ski it. :huh: AFAIK I skied on zero base bevel on my Salomon 1080 moguls(21m radius) for many years without issue but also only had a 1 degree side bevel. Does the increased side bevel make it worse? Is it the decreased radius that much hookier?

crgildart

Gravity Slave
Skier
I'm finding it hard to grasp the concept that a zero base in so dangerous and you might die or be seriously maimed if you ski it. :huh: AFAIK I skied on zero base bevel on my Salomon 1080 moguls(21m radius) for many years without issue but also only had a 1 degree side bevel. Does the increased side bevel make it worse? Is it the decreased radius that much hookier?
How do you feel about the difference between a 1 and a 2 base bevel? :huh: A 2 is soo squirrelly it hardly hooks up at all. A zero is that much tighter the other way. Again, I flattened the Nordica GSRs I got well used from Josh. Skied them probably 30 days like that. Fun as hell, but man if you let up for a second in transition they were not in the least bit forgiving.

.5 is as far as I like to go these days..

Ogg

Skiing the powder
Skier
How do you feel about the difference between a 1 and a 2 base bevel? :huh: A 2 is soo squirrelly it hardly hooks up at all. A zero is that much tighter the other way. Again, I flattened the Nordica GSRs I got well used from Josh. Skied them probably 30 days like that. Fun as hell, but man if you let up for a second in transition they were not in the least bit forgiving.
Honestly, I haven't skied enough skis that I actually knew the base bevel of to have an opinion, I'm just having a hard time with not being able to get the tails to release unless you're skiing "from the backseat". If that's the case you probably shouldn't be on a pair of SLs anyway, IMO. Apparently, I need to play around on a couple of pairs of the same or similar skis with different bevels to find out for myself.

dan ross

Making fresh tracks
Skier
In the olden days -70’80’s when skis were straight , no one I can recall put a base bevel on. You could certainly hook up a ski -I did- but it was usually driver error or a concave bottom. With modern “ carving” skis, it’s all changed -engagement is almost automatic but disengagement still requires more intentional input. Go to sleep in a transition on a modern FIS or FIS adjacent ski with 0 bevel and bad things can happen. If you want a real race tune, you best be on your game it’s not a casual endeavor. Perhaps some of the masters racers here can chime in on their tunes.

crgildart

Gravity Slave
Skier
". If that's the case you probably shouldn't be on a pair of SLs anyway,
Well the dude I saw with the bad hookup was a race coach at Wintergreen.. Looked to be a really good skier.. Watched the team train on a run under the lift for a couple hours while I was lapping Big Acorn there. The team had finished and the coach was making one last sweep of the run as they were about to open it. He was laying down really sweet railroad tracks then it happened. He was probably tired from standing there all day, hauling the gates, etc.. Pretty sure he could handle SL skis as well as most people here. Just a bad break... that would have been less likely with a less aggressive base bevel.

Sponsor

Staff online