• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

ZipFit question for Head boots

chris_the_wrench

Spinning wrenches and throwing spokes.
Skier
Any thoughts on roughly how much OMFit we’re talking about to get to the Raptor stock liner’s day 3 thickness (which was firm everywhere and painful nowhere)?
When I switched from the liquid fit liners(that had alot of liquid fit) in my raptor pros to the free ride zip fits I pumped alot of cork into those over the first month or so. Maybe 4-5 tubes each. It's been a few years and Ive since switched shells and to a lower volume zip fit.

Charlie Bradley

Booting up
Masterfit Bootfitter
Industry Insider
Hello everyone. I've recently purchased ZipFit Gara LVs and they are going into a new pair of Head RS 140s. Working to get the fit of the shell correct but notice the Zips are nearly impossible to get into the boot shell without a serious effort. The right foot goes in nearly crooked almost everytime. Not sure if I am missing something. Have not been able to ski them yet but the boot guy says a few days should allow the ZFs to form after heat molding them in the shop. The boot shell is 25.5 and it says it is a 94 last and boot guy says it's the right ZF. Is this correct? Should they be this hard to get into? Thanks!

TS
B

bluefish

Booting up
Skier
By way of update, ZF got me into a pair of Corsa liners. They fit as one would expect them to right into the Head Raptor shells. It was the correct liner all the time. I had gott some OMfit as well. The right liner feels fine while the left heel is somewhat uncomfortable although I suspect a few days skiing may rectify that issue. ZF counseled me to get the same size (25.5) as my Gara LVs. I note the Corsa is shorter in length than the Garas and have contacted ZF to inquire about a 26.5. Sure wish my boot guy put me in these in the first place. Does anyone with ZFs also have a gap at the top of their tongue and their shin bone?

Andy Mink

Everyone loves spring skiing but not in January
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
By way of update, ZF got me into a pair of Corsa liners. They fit as one would expect them to right into the Head Raptor shells. It was the correct liner all the time. I had gott some OMfit as well. The right liner feels fine while the left heel is somewhat uncomfortable although I suspect a few days skiing may rectify that issue. ZF counseled me to get the same size (25.5) as my Gara LVs. I note the Corsa is shorter in length than the Garas and have contacted ZF to inquire about a 26.5. Sure wish my boot guy put me in these in the first place. Does anyone with ZFs also have a gap at the top of their tongue and their shin bone?
I have a gap that I'm trying to figure out how to close. I don't know if that will require heating the tongue plastic and rearranging it or adding more OMfit or a little of both. I can get it to close the gap with a too tight tug on the shell's power strap. That's not optimal.

Noodler

Sir Turn-a-lot
Skier
The tongue bladder can hold a LOT of OMFit. You can make the tongues pretty damn fat.

Andy Mink

SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
The tongue bladder can hold a LOT of OMFit. You can make the tongues pretty damn fat.
Can you make them fat only at the top to close the shin gap?

raytseng

Making fresh tracks
Skier
This is why I needed a boosterstrap as my oem liner had a fat top tongue, and the shell expected that.
I played around with OEM power strap under the plastic as a fake boosterstrap but it wasn't working
But also still needed a tube omfit each to mold better to my shin and get better contact.

Stop by Olympic bootworks and Buck or his team can install boosters or advise you. Bring your ski socks they may need you to bootup.

Noodler

Sir Turn-a-lot
Skier

As pointed out in the previous message, the bladder doesn't start at the very, very top of the tongue. You can position the OMFit at various locations along the large tongue bladder, but if your concern is the very top of the tongue, then only a powerstrap-based solution is going to help. I would recommend a dual-strap (like from Atomic) or you can place a horizontal cut along the middle of a Booster strap and basically create a dual strap (I can provide pics). A dual strap has the benefit of being able to press against the tongue of the liner and the top of the front shell at the same time.

Andy Mink

SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
As pointed out in the previous message, the bladder doesn't start at the very, very top of the tongue. You can position the OMFit at various locations along the large tongue bladder, but if your concern is the very top of the tongue, then only a powerstrap-based solution is going to help. I would recommend a dual-strap (like from Atomic) or you can place a horizontal cut along the middle of a Booster strap and basically create a dual strap (I can provide pics). A dual strap has the benefit of being able to press against the tongue of the liner and the top of the front shell at the same time.
I imagine this is what the ZF strap is for but there's just not enough room in there for it.

TS
B

bluefish

Booting up
Skier
I was messing with it and the Head Raptor has a rather unique power strap setup that gives one the option to really crank it down if desired. That closed a lot of the gap. ZF shipped me some 26.5s this afternoon. Also, tried in the fall to get my daughter into ZF Corsas as well in an effort to give her racing boots some consistency. Same boot guy here but her in 22.5s which is her Lange shell size. Instantly went numb. ZF was pissed about it so sent me some 23.5s and voila no numbness. Gonna work on getting them fit. That will be good.

Gotta really say I am impressed with the ZF customer service throughout all this.

salvatore

Out on the slopes
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
As previously stated, I had to size up in the Corsa. I run a 26.5 in a 25.5 Raptor. The Corsa is quite a bit shorter than the same sized WCSW.

Doublegreen

Putting on skis
Skier
I had the same issue and tried hard foam on the outside of the tongue

IMG_0035.jpeg

IMG_0036.jpeg

I also used soft foam on the inside
IMG_0037.jpeg

Doublegreen

Putting on skis
Skier
IMG_0038.jpeg

It tapers nicely from the bottom up
IMG_0039.jpeg

My left ankle is lower volume than my right and I couldn‘t get the cork in the exact spot that I wanted. I could have kept going with cork in that spot but I wanted to see if that was actually the reason I wasn’t getting the right fit/heel hold. It turned out perfect so I just left it alone.

TS
B

bluefish

Booting up
Skier
As previously stated, I had to size up in the Corsa. I run a 26.5 in a 25.5 Raptor. The Corsa is quite a bit shorter than the same sized WCSW.
Sal, when I put them against each other by the soles, the Corsa was about an 1/8 or maybe even a 1/4 shorter than the Gara. I expect this will solve the toe crunch. I will be writing a solid review to ZF when this is over.

Noodler

Sir Turn-a-lot
Skier
These both have adhesive backing. The hard foam that goes on the outside is heated/warmed up and holds incredibly well to hard plastic of the Zipfit.

Please provide the source for these tapered hard foam parts. I used something like these in my touring boots, but the foam wasn't tapered. This looks really good.

Noodler

Sir Turn-a-lot
Skier

Well this was the final confirmation I needed to go ahead and pull the trigger on the new Corsa that was available. I'll be sticking the 26.5 Corsa in a new pair of 2023 Nordica WC boots I just picked up (93mm last). All in the interest of science of course... ;)

More to come.

Doublegreen

Putting on skis
Skier
Please provide the source for these tapered hard foam parts. I used something like these in my touring boots, but the foam wasn't tapered. This looks really good.
IMG_0040.jpeg

Here’s a look at what used/unused looks like. I got them at Hi-Tempo in White Bear Lake, MN. They are not on their website so I called the shop to ask where they are from and he was pretty reluctant to tell me but said they came from Sun Valley Ski Tools.

Sponsor

Staff online