• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

ZipFit question for Head boots

arildGFB

Putting on skis
Skier
I’ve been wondering if it’s possible to inject OMFit cork into the Liquid Fit bladders, although I’m guessing there are reasons it wouldn’t work. One reason being the LF entry ports might be too narrow to get the cork in.
I tried, definitely not a practical solution.

TS
B

bluefish

Booting up
Skier
By way of reporting, I skied the new Corsa this morning. There is so little OMFit in this liner it made my Raptors quite flexible to the point I am considering moving the peg up the spine to stiffen them up. I noted at first they felt a little "swimmy" compared to the Gara LVs and so I had to really crank the buckles down. The only pain I experience was at the edge of the liners just above both ankles which I think suggests I need some cork in there. Strange to think the shells are more flexible to me with the thinner liner.

Noodler

Sir Turn-a-lot
Skier
By way of reporting, I skied the new Corsa this morning. There is so little OMFit in this liner it made my Raptors quite flexible to the point I am considering moving the peg up the spine to stiffen them up. I noted at first they felt a little "swimmy" compared to the Gara LVs and so I had to really crank the buckles down. The only pain I experience was at the edge of the liners just above both ankles which I think suggests I need some cork in there. Strange to think the shells are more flexible to me with the thinner liner.

As I pointed out in the big ZipFit thread, the "magic" of a ZipFit is the OMFit compound. So sizing your liner so that you can put more, not less, OMFit is the preferred option. Now that you have a liner that easily fits (maybe too easily), get your hands on a bunch of OMFit and start plumping them out.

I'll be on the same journey most likely when I get my Corsas on Saturday. I tried my OG ZipFit Gara from 2010 (all real leather) and they dropped in fairly nicely into my new Dobie WC plugs, but the plan is to use the new Corsas for these shells.

Andy Mink

Everyone loves spring skiing but not in January
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter

bbinder

Making fresh tracks
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
As I pointed out in the big ZipFit thread, the "magic" of a ZipFit is the OMFit compound. So sizing your liner so that you can put more, not less, OMFit is the preferred option. Now that you have a liner that easily fits (maybe too easily), get your hands on a bunch of OMFit and start plumping them out.

I'll be on the same journey most likely when I get my Corsas on Saturday. I tried my OG ZipFit Gara from 2010 (all real leather) and they dropped in fairly nicely into my new Dobie WC plugs, but the plan is to use the new Corsas for these shells.
So how much omfit can one pump into a Gara LV, for example

Noodler

Sir Turn-a-lot
Skier
So how much omfit can one pump into a Gara LV, for example

I don't think I've ever seen the volume of the bladders stated anywhere, only anecdotal reporting of how many additional tubes folks have added to their liners. The tongue bladder is relatively large (extending almost the full width and length of the tongue itself) and can take a lot of OMFit (at least 4 tubes additional). I'm not sure about the ankle bladders, but I bet they could take at least 2 tubes each (additional). This is definitely a good question for the ZipFit team if anyone chats with them. I sure would like to know the maximum volume the bladders can hold.

James

Out There
Instructor
Can a Corsa be made into a Gara LV by pumping omfit in?
I guess the question is if you err on too thin, can you pump it up?

Floyd47

Putting on skis
Skier
I don't think I've ever seen the volume of the bladders stated anywhere, only anecdotal reporting of how many additional tubes folks have added to their liners. The tongue bladder is relatively large (extending almost the full width and length of the tongue itself) and can take a lot of OMFit (at least 4 tubes additional). I'm not sure about the ankle bladders, but I bet they could take at least 2 tubes each (additional). This is definitely a good question for the ZipFit team if anyone chats with them. I sure would like to know the maximum volume the bladders can hold.

Below is what the Zipfit website says about how much cork can be added:

“Adding more cork​

Accessing the ports to add more cork to your ZipFits can feel like fishing at times, but if you use some needle nose pliers or a tweezer, we assure you it is very simple. Be careful not to pull hard on these ports, as you could rip them. When adding more cork, ensure that you have both sides of the sleeve separated and that the plunger is sliding into the sleeve, not behind or in front of it. Start with just 1/4 or 1/2 of a tube to gauge how that feels and then add more as necessary. It is unlikely that you will add too much cork, but if you have added more than 5 tubes to a single liner, be careful. Everything has a failure envelope and you could overfill the cork pouch. This is not covered under warranty and is not the easiest fix.”

Noodler

Sir Turn-a-lot
Skier
Below is what the Zipfit website says about how much cork can be added:

“Adding more cork​

Accessing the ports to add more cork to your ZipFits can feel like fishing at times, but if you use some needle nose pliers or a tweezer, we assure you it is very simple. Be careful not to pull hard on these ports, as you could rip them. When adding more cork, ensure that you have both sides of the sleeve separated and that the plunger is sliding into the sleeve, not behind or in front of it. Start with just 1/4 or 1/2 of a tube to gauge how that feels and then add more as necessary. It is unlikely that you will add too much cork, but if you have added more than 5 tubes to a single liner, be careful. Everything has a failure envelope and you could overfill the cork pouch. This is not covered under warranty and is not the easiest fix.”

Good info, but incomplete info. Still doesn't really answer what the exact volume of each bladder is.

Yarecki

Putting on skis
Skier

I have both, Corsa is really a minimalistic liner. It’s not just that it has less cork than the Gara, but the material overall is much more thin. So even if you add a lot of cork to the tongue and heel bladders, the rest of the liner will still be much thinner than the Gara.

It also feels completely different on the foot due to full leather lining, which is not as plush as the neoprene in the Gara, but offers much better hold due to how tacky the leather is.

That’s why for me personally the Corsa doesn’t really work in any shell other than my Head Raptor plug, it’s too thin. Even in my Raptor WCR 140 it won’t take out enough volume - but I do have low volume feet and narrow shins with high set calves.

I switched to the Sidewinder (which has partial leather lining) for that reason for non-plug boots - it has more volume than the Corsa and still offers partial leather lining.

Last edited:

cem

Out on the slopes
Masterfit Bootfitter
Industry Insider
What’s your recommendation for the Head WCR3 boot? I had the old B3 in a 27, and much to my disbelief, the bootfitter was right and I could fit in the WCR3 26 with work. Hey, at least this boot flexes! That B3 basically doesn’t.

What’s surprising is the lack of heel hold in this WCR. Damn heel is moving some up and also side to side. Never had this issue in the B3. The new Head liner has next to nothing in the low heel area. I’ve tried some pads on a first go.
Do you ever use the Liquid fit stuff? I don’t get the point if no one uses it.
Thanks
for a zipfit in there i would probably go corsa, we are clearing what we have left in the WCR boots the fit is all over the place, way too much volume way too big in the cuff, they really are not the same boot they are using in world cup, they really can't be

TS
B

bluefish

Booting up
Skier
I put about a 1/3 of a tube of OMFit into the middle chamber of my Corsa liners and a tad less toward the Achilles heel area of the left boot. Still working to form it to me via skiing. The ZFs really aren't awesome feeling for a couple of days and then they start to get much better.

TS
B

bluefish

Booting up
Skier
Still need more OMFit as my heels can lift. Which chamber should it go into to specifically address heel lift? Also trying to decide if I want to take off the strap which comes with the liner.

TS
B

bluefish

Booting up
Skier
I have now added a tube of OMFit into the middle channel between both boot liners. I noted that the upper inside quadrant of my ankles were experiencing a lot of discomfort. Well, I took off the strap ZF sends with the liners, reheated the liners, and put the boot shells on. Discomfort has basically gone away. The liner is forming to me and I think I am on the way with it. In another thread I was asking some questions based upon some observations my daughter had made when we skied together. She was in her new Corsa liners and forgot to put her insoles in them from her Lange lace up liners so she skied with no footbeds. Despite this, she said the liner is noticeably more responsive than her stock liners. She said at first she wasn't sure about it but then realized the energy transmission feel to her was quicker than what she was used to and she liked it. She needs new footbeds since hers are pretty trashed so we're getting close to a good fit for her. The point was for her to have a liner which would not pack out and which will last for a number of years. I think we have identified that liner.

TS
B

bluefish

Booting up
Skier
Sadly, we are getting to the end of the season. The liners continue to improve in terms of fit and most of the heel lift I was experiencing has gone away although I think perhaps a little more OMFit may ultimately be needed. I did take the strap off my daughter's Corsa liners as well and I think she likes it better that way. Going to have to look into some sort of a heated sock solution for her at least for the very coldest parts of the winter.

Sponsor

Staff online