• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Non Region Specific Your Flight Has Changed!

David Chaus

Beyond Help
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
I'm sitting on the plane with a spinning wheel on my computer screen thinking....darn this internet is slow.
Then I have to reality check....I'm on an airplane at ?? feet and am on the internet.
So, there's that!
And you’re willing to pay for slow internet service on flights, something I have yet to be willing to pay for. Guess I’m too cheap.

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
And you’re willing to pay for slow internet service on flights, something I have yet to be willing to pay for. Guess I’m too cheap.
I've actually had decent luck with flight wifi.(though my flying experience is limited since we usually drive)
And we're trying to get some work done, before we land in Boston.
But this flight.. argh...Still. I'm posting with this wifi connection.

TS
Tony S

Tony S

I have a confusion to make ...
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
The "leave your number and we will call back when you would have come out of the hold queue" mechanism really does work. (Surprising, I know.)
Well, happily, I didn't even have to do that. I got a person - of a sort - fairly quickly.

More practical advice ...
Before you call, go into the website separately (not logged in) and figure out exactly which flights you would like to be on, and a backup option. Don't worry about listed prices.
Ask nicely if you can get those, rather than "can you get me something better."
I did do this, but I didn't cast my net wide enough, in hindsight. But it worked out in the end.

I'd call back and try again with a different agent. Don't tell them you tried before, act confused not angry.
I tried that. My composure lasted about five minutes when "Brandon" repeatedly demonstrated that he didn't understand that there was a first leg of my trip, or that the first leg had to mesh with the second leg. (It was the second leg that was changed, so all his focus was on that flight, as though I lived in Chicago.)

In the end I had to put on my Karen hat and ask for a supervisor. It took forever to get her, but once I had her it was immediately obvious that she was smart and understood my perspective, or at least did a good job of pretending. We worked something out. (At one point she slipped and pointed out that my new flight was much more expensive than the original one, but before I could say anything she quickly added, "But that's totally our problem." Damn straight it is.) The flight is not the greatest, but it will work. If they don't cancel it.

James

Out There
Instructor
My composure lasted about five minutes when "Brandon" repeatedly demonstrated that he didn't understand that there was a first leg of my trip, or that the first leg had to mesh with the second leg.
I heard Brandon used to work at the White Horse Inn.
“I want to speak to the manager” -

Tom K.

Skier Ordinaire
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
There're a lot of advantages of driving. I can take the kitchen sink with me. I can change plans as I see fit.

It helps to have a car I enjoy driving.

QFT!

@Tony S that looks like a fine drive. Tack a week onto each end of the skiing, and mtb your way across the country!

Tony

tseeb
Skier

dbostedo

Asst. Gathermeister
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
I think, after all this discussion, that the ultimate fix for @Tony S is to get Portland, ME to change it's name to something else, so it's not named the same as Portland, OR, and avoids confusion on the part of airline customer support.

cantunamunch

Meh
Skier
I will channel @Tony S for the purposes of thread continuity :) , thus:

I think, after all this discussion, that the ultimate fix for @Tony S is to get Portland, ME to change it's name to something else, so it's not named the same as Portland, OR, and avoids confusion on the part of airline customer support.

Yeh, but Oregon will just rename theirs to match - like they did last time. Get them to change, dammit. Since Oregon namers don't seem particularly inspired, suggestions:

Anchorunderage OR
Short Long Beach OR
Landlubbock OR
Lotsa Little Rock OR
An Harbor OR

James

Out There
Instructor
That's so impractical.
Going by way of Mt Tremblant / Mt Bohemia / Bridger Bowl / Discovery / Sun Valley only adds 13 hours to Tony's 46 hour drive time!
If he’s going to Mt Bohemia, he might as well go around Lake Superior on the Canadian side. Visit the Edmund Fitzgerald memorial, or take a ferry and go over it. Weather should be appropriate.

cantunamunch

Meh
Skier
You forgot to make a few stops. You'll thank me.
If he’s going to Mt Bohemia, he might as well go around Lake Superior on the Canadian side.

Going around that side also gives him access to Lutsen. And what's the name of the place near Thunder Bay?

I think the mapping above is flawed in the New York to Ohio section. After Tug Hill, he should totally dip down through Syracuse, past Olympic and Greek to Elk in PA. Then, depending on conditions, down to SW PA (7S, Laurel) and WVa (Snowshoe, Whitegrass, Canaan, Timberline) then up through Ohio.

On the opposite diagonal.

Sibhusky

Whitefish, MT
Skier
Well, happily, I didn't even have to do that. I got a person - of a sort - fairly quickly.

I did do this, but I didn't cast my net wide enough, in hindsight. But it worked out in the end.

I tried that. My composure lasted about five minutes when "Brandon" repeatedly demonstrated that he didn't understand that there was a first leg of my trip, or that the first leg had to mesh with the second leg. (It was the second leg that was changed, so all his focus was on that flight, as though I lived in Chicago.)

In the end I had to put on my Karen hat and ask for a supervisor. It took forever to get her, but once I had her it was immediately obvious that she was smart and understood my perspective, or at least did a good job of pretending. We worked something out. (At one point she slipped and pointed out that my new flight was much more expensive than the original one, but before I could say anything she quickly added, "But that's totally our problem." Damn straight it is.) The flight is not the greatest, but it will work. If they don't cancel it.
Check again in 3 days. I've had so-called "fixed" itineraries get messed up again that quick.

TS
Tony S

Tony S

I have a confusion to make ...
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
We've already handled that effectively here locally. The airlines just need to catch up. I live near "Portland." The other one is "The Other Portland" (sometimes known as "Left Portland"). Simple.

Sponsor

Staff online