• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Non Region Specific Your Flight Has Changed!

scott43

So much better than a pro
Skier
I took it as a compliment, and then...
While at DEN waiting for our connecting flight, we stopped at a bar/restaurant to have lunch and they carded us.
While it was obvious that they likely card everyone, I'll choose to take that as, "My, you look young"
I got carded at Camden Yards at the age of 49. I was a happy guy. I was less happy they started passing around my driver's license and pointing at me...

mdf

entering the Big Couloir
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
Alcohol rules at sports and concert venues are absurd. I saw a ~50 year old woman get thrown out for buying a drink for her ~75 year old father who did not have ID with him. (Here in Massachusetts.)

One state I ski in (forget which one) cards absolutely everyone for alcohol sold at the grocery store.

More absurdity. In Massachusetts, out of state drivers licenses are not legally-valid for alcohol. Mass license, passport, or military ID only.

dbostedo

Asst. Gathermeister
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
In Massachusetts, out of state drivers licenses are not legally-valid for alcohol.
I never realized... I've bought alcohol in Massachusetts many times, and never had an issue with my VA driver's license. Is that something that's rarely enforced and is just there in case someone/someplace gets a bug up their a#* and chooses to apply it? Or is it new? (I haven't been carded there in a while...)

cantunamunch

Meh
Skier
More absurdity. In Massachusetts, out of state drivers licenses are not legally-valid for alcohol. Mass license, passport, or military ID only.

It must not be a restaurant or pub rule. Or they don't care. I've never gotten carded so long as my card rang through. :D

Most of my AA stories involve flying to Manchester NH and driving to Billerica. Not much more than up to 2 hr delay going out. But up to 6 coming back - and too often a true circular-roll vomit comet 45 mins before landing.

Last edited:

mdf

entering the Big Couloir
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
It must not be a restaurant or pub rule. Or they don't care. I've never gotten carded so long as my card rang through. :D
The rule applies to bars/restaurants too. I think there is a subtlety here. It's not that they can't sell, but rather "he had ID" is not a valid excuse to the liquor control board if it isn't the right kind. In fact, if the store wants to gamble with big fines and possible suspensions, I think they can legally sell to anyone who is in fact over 21, whether they can prove it or not. (The liquor board has to use testers who are in fact underage.)

(The 100% carding at large venues is different. Don't know if it is a blanket rule or part of their individually-negotiated charters.)

I've only seen the rule invoked once. A young-looking guy at a neighborhood liquor store who turned out to be 22 years old, at least according to whatever non-conforming id he had. The cashier was apologetic but said "I can't take that chance."

I wonder if it is going to be more of an issue now. We had a set of alcohol issues bundled on a ballot question at the recent election. It was mostly about how many licenses a business entity could have (a locals vs Total Wine fight) but updating the id rules was bundled with it. It did not pass. I'm sure it made more people aware of the rule.

Last edited:

Bill Miles

Old Man Groomer Zoomer
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter

Most of my AA stories involve flying to Manchester NH and driving to Billerica. Not much more than up to 2 hr delay going out. But up to 6 coming back - and too often a true circular-roll vomit comet 45 mins before landing.
Going from liquor rules to AA stories, I wasn't sure at first which AA was being referred to.

KingGrump

Most Interesting Man In The World
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
Acceptable forms of ID varies greatly in my travel through this great nation of ours.
The most amusing incident was when Andrew wanted to open an account at BoA branch in FL during his freshman year.
He didn't have a driver license, since insurance were exorbitant for a teenager in NYC. He generally used a passport card as age verification ID.

The customer service person did not know what is a passport card. Called the manager over for consultation. The manager have never heard of a passport card neither. She then question the validity of a passport card. I told her it's a federal ID and I can enter the US through land crossings with it. She looked a bit skeptical. It was at that moment, Andrew piped up and said, "We are in Florida. Perhaps we need a confederate ID." Let's say the manager was not amused.

The clueless couple finally looked on the corporate database for a list of acceptable ID. They did find the inclusion of a passport card. They were happy to be rid of us.

TS
Tony S

Tony S

I have a confusion to make ...
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
For me, it's more like 10 hrs.

Add rental car cost and potential of delay (pre-Pandemic), driving is just as economical both in money and time.

There're a lot of advantages of driving. I can take the kitchen sink with me. I can change plans as I see fit.

It helps to have a car I enjoy driving.
I'm just going to put a stop to all this driving talk.

1668628486239.png

James

Out There
Instructor
I never realized... I've bought alcohol in Massachusetts many times, and never had an issue with my VA driver's license. Is that something that's rarely enforced and is just there in case someone/someplace gets a bug up their a#* and chooses to apply it? Or is it new? (I haven't been carded there in a while...)
Definitely not new. Like 30yrs ago my brother couldn’t buy beer in MA with his out of state license. He also happened to have his passport. They wouldn’t take that either. (I’m pretty sure about that, but it’s been awhile) You had to have the stupid MA liquor card.

crosscountry

Sock Puppet
Skier
Pass Pulled
The most amusing incident was when Andrew wanted to open an account at BoA branch in FL during his freshman year.
I had a very similar experience too. Though the detail had long been forgotten.

Retail banks probably gone out of their way to find people who lack common sense!

But with all the banking rules, anyone who had any when they started to work for banks will have it stripped away through their day-to-day work till there's none left.

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
I'm sitting on the plane with a spinning wheel on my computer screen thinking....darn this internet is slow.
Then I have to reality check....I'm on an airplane at ?? feet and am on the internet.
So, there's that!

Sponsor