• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Why doesn't PSIA and ski instruction in general utilize gates for teaching round and controlled turns?

skistudent

fond of wide rolling groomers
Skier
Apparently skiline.cc has some slalom gates with video cameras set up in resorts in the Alps, I went through a set in Colfosco Italy near the Val Gardena pass last week and got a free video of it. You scan your ski pass to start and use your pass number later to access your video. Not sure what their business model is but I'd love to have those show up in the US. There used to be NASTAR in some resorts in the US where you pay to have timed run or race with a friend, but I haven't seen those in a while, I think I saw some set up off Peak 9 in Breckenridge a couple of years ago, do they still run those? Palisades used to have some set up opposite the top of Shirley lake lift, if I recall correctly, but I haven't seen those in a while either. Anyway, as a beginner skier I'd love to get time doing gates as it does seem like great practice, without having to commit to a full-blown masters program.

markojp

mtn rep for the gear on my feet
Industry Insider
Instructor
First you don't need to close the trail to set up a simple NASTAR type paneled slalom that you can ski on virtually any type of skis, The terrain parks are open to the public and far more dangerous than a simple dozen gate NASTAR type course. You also do not need timing. Any coach or instructor can set a 20 second paneled slalom course in 10 minutes. My point, if you watch our U12 racers many of them carve and have much better control than the average recreational skier. Ride up the chairlift and the majority of recreational skiers do not even generate turn shape. They just ski straight with a check turn here and there, That's why I believe using gates to create turn shape among recreational skiers taking ski lessons would go a long way to improve their skiing.

Terrain parks, though 'open', have an access gate or similar, and signage regarding potential hazards, S.M.A.R.T. protocols, etc... and is maintained by a dedicated paid crew.

Gates set by race groups on 'ooen to the public' slopes are marked by signage, and monitored by a coach at the top and bottom of the set. Other areas locally have a dedidicated hill or pitch, and will be roped off along the length to keep public from straying into the course.

There's time, effort, and risk management (read liability) protocals in setting gates or making terrain features. And yes, while gates are wonderful, it's costs money, time, and personnel to set, monitor, and maintain, which is why most ski schools don't, or can't afford to set them.

We do use cones, carrots, pylons, and tunnels in our learning area though, but it's very difficult to do elsewhere on the mtn for all the reasons listed above.

markojp

mtn rep for the gear on my feet
Industry Insider
Instructor
Surprised gates needed to teach ppl a rounded turn shape. How about just draw a nice semi-circle in the snow?

There is that.... and the instructor can set a track. Most importantly, the 'how' to go with the 'what', then toss in some 'why'.

Vestirse

Putting on skis
Skier
Crystal set up poles as obstacle courses on their magic carpet course last season. It seemed like one instructor would set it up in the morning, with several instructors using it throughout the day, then clean it up after lessons. Haven't wandered over there this season to see if that's still the case this season, but I saw it when my nephews were taking first time lessons.

Vestirse

Putting on skis
Skier
We do use cones, carrots, pylons, and tunnels in our learning area though, but it's very difficult to do elsewhere on the mtn for all the reasons listed above.
Yep, this is what I meant - Crystal does this sort of thing too. I see you're in the PNW - are you talking about Crystal by chance?

LiquidFeet

instructor
Instructor
What gates do is to challenge your abilities. It’s not particularly good at developing technical skills (or strength which is another important part). It is good for understanding and developing gate tactics, to be faster in a course.
Thanks for saying this. Agree.

When as an adult I first started skiing, I kept hearing from my ski club mates that racing would improve my skiing. So I raced Nastar with the club.

What happened was that doing those races screwed up my already bad skiing even more. It cemented deeply in place my already present pivot & skid turns. This was years ago and it took a long time to fully replace that movement pattern.

What improves skiing is good training outside the gates, not racing in them. Learning to look ahead and to tactically plan how to handle each turn for maximum travel speed, given the particulars of the course, is what can happen with gate training ... but only if one's technique has the necessary versatility, and only if good training is present.

JESinstr

Lvl 3 1973
Skier
What happened was that doing those races screwed up my already bad skiing even more. It cemented deeply in place my already present pivot & skid turns.
Excellent Point! Most untrained gate runners will predominantly use rotational redirection first.

Johnny V.

Half Fast Hobby Racer
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Gates set by race groups on 'ooen to the public' slopes are marked by signage, and monitored by a coach at the top and bottom of the set. Other areas locally have a dedidicated hill or pitch, and will be roped off along the length to keep public from straying into the course.
The public still does, but it's better if it's roped off. You wonder what part of "trail closed for race training" do they not understand?" We've even had a couple of instances where poachers have gotten into a course during an actual race which is really unnerving.

Sponsor

Staff online