• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Who decided that 12degree forward lean should be the industry standard anyway?

JDV

In the parking lot (formerly "At the base lodge")
Skier
I know this thread is a few years old but I have had this problem ALL OF MY LIFE. I am a short woman who has a racing background and bulbous calfs. Meaning, the largest part of my calf is in a lower position than taller women. I need the stiffness and last of a race boot, but it's is HORRIBLE on my knees as I am almost fully dorsiflexed just standing in a boot.

So, I am looking to buy new boots that still will give me enough performance, but also be more upright. Less forward lean as to not destroy ny knees and allow me to actually flex my ankles.

I know the Atomic Hawx series has forward lean adjustment, are there any other boots out there that do??

Andy Mink

Everyone loves spring skiing but not in January
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
I know this thread is a few years old but I have had this problem ALL OF MY LIFE. I am a short woman who has a racing background and bulbous calfs. Meaning, the largest part of my calf is in a lower position than taller women. I need the stiffness and last of a race boot, but it's is HORRIBLE on my knees as I am almost fully dorsiflexed just standing in a boot.

So, I am looking to buy new boots that still will give me enough performance, but also be more upright. Less forward lean as to not destroy ny knees and allow me to actually flex my ankles.

I know the Atomic Hawx series has forward lean adjustment, are there any other boots out there that do??
I ski in a Head Raptor 140, not because I need the amount of forward lean but because they fit well. Unfortunately, I have bigger calves. That alone pushes me even further forward which starts to burn the thighs. I find I like bindings that are higher in the toe and I also added 3mm of gas pedal under my boot toe. That helps a lot. There are things you can do to help even if the boot starts out a little forward.

CalG

Out on the slopes
Pass Pulled
Skiing with a "light touch", has nothing to do with being a "light weight skier".

In fact, I content the opposite!

James

Out There
Instructor

Have someone adjust the cuff by heating and expanding. They have some contraptions or use objects. Like bottles, footballs etc. This can not be solved by off the shelf boots.

I can't stand upright boots btw. Can't get enough forward lean.

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
I am the opposite, I have no calves and I prefer more forward lean. In my new K2 Recon's, with their moldable shell, I was able to add the couple of degrees that I needed.

Andy Mink

Everyone loves spring skiing but not in January
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
Have someone adjust the cuff by heating and expanding. They have some contraptions or use objects. Like bottles, footballs etc. This can not be solved by off the shelf boots.

I can't stand upright boots btw. Can't get enough forward lean.
@Philpug solving problems using high technology.
20170222_172036.jpg

Rod9301

Making fresh tracks
Skier
If 12deg forward lean does not work best overall for you what are doing if you are not of a height and weight for a top tier race bred boot?

Why do manufactures treat lighter touch skiers with such a dumb down mentality in terms of adjustable features? Adding a spoiler does not ski the same as a cuff a couple of degrees stronger in forward lean to begin with.
Yes, adding a spoiler is exactly the same as more forward lean.
If you think about vectors of force, more of a skiers body weight is acting on a cuff with a greater forward lean (because larger horizontal vector, smaller vertical vector) so while technically there is nothing about being a lighter skier that necessitates greater forward lean some might have more success in bending a boot if there is greater forward lean. I think, but can't be completely sure without pulling out my protractor and physics textbook, which I refuse to do.

Ouch, that made my head hurt!
You don't bend a boot by pushing down, but by the turn forces.

markojp

mtn rep for the gear on my feet
Industry Insider
Instructor
I am the opposite, I have no calves and I prefer more forward lean. In my new K2 Recon's, with their moldable shell, I was able to add the couple of degrees that I needed.

Yer just try'in to make it a white boot. :wave: :duck: :roflmao:

RuleMiHa

Out on the slopes
Skier
Yes, adding a spoiler is exactly the same as more forward lean.

You don't bend a boot by pushing down, but by the turn forces.

Are we going to do this again with the physics. It's not pushing down, weight and height contribute to force vectors without needing to actively do anything. 'Cause gravity.

How turn forces act on a boot is dependent on the size (height/weight/proportion/force vectors) of the person inside the boot. A 6'2" 245 lb persons boots will behave differently than a 5'0" 100 lb person in the same boot. In part because the turn forces, one of which is gravity, are proportional to mass and force vectors.

Sponsor

Staff online