• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

What's your favorite breakfast for a ski day?

Mendieta

Master of Snowplow
SkiTalk Tester
Contributor
I meant to ask this question for a while. The question is not so much about what's your most decadent breakfast dream, but rather, what's your preference for a breakfast that will get you the best start for the ski day.

I was just reading a very nice nutrition article at Skinet. The short of it, is that proteins are a bit overrated (necessary but prevalent in our diets), fats are not as bad as portrayed (except the bad types, please see the article before you eat that big bag of junk food in my name), and complex carbs are key. Of course, we've all seen endurance athletes eat big bowls of pasta the night before a big event. Complex carbs get broken into glucose when needed, to release energy. That's exactly what you want.

Incidentally, the article raises an interest point for those of you recovering from injury or medical procedures (@Eleeski , @Monique , I'm sure I'm missing others): a protein-heavy diet seems to be really good for speeding up your way back to the slopes.

I think there is overall consensus that caffeine before workouts helps activate the metabolism, so it enhances performance. The article actually leans towards not recommending it, because of it's diuretic effects. Thoughts on this one? I would think a good cup of Joe, tea, whatever your fix, is good.

In my case, if I can cook, I'll make nutritious pancakes with my sourdough and my buttermilk (yeah, I'm a freak, I grow a culture of each), eggs in them, and probably fry some eggs as well. Hopefully I have bananas around to add as a topping. Otherwise, I try to do something along those lines. Yogurt, milk, that's all good. Coffee for sure (or even better, mate-tea if I have it handy). Heavy greasy proteins such as sausages have been a complete flop for me: I feel heavy but not any more dynamic, quite the opposite.

So, what's your favorite breakfast for a ski day? What helps you make the best of your day?

:popcorn:

pais alto

me encanta el país alto
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Coffee, oj, and a breakfast burrito - eggs, potatoes, green chile, bacon, cheese, onions, mebbe some beans on the side...wrapped in a flour tortilla and smothered with green chile sauce.

Or did you mean what kind of beer?

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
Jackson Hole: D.O.G. Spicy with meat
A-Basin: Sausage & buscuits or the French Toast
Mothers Day Ski House: Bloody Mary

skibob

Skiing the powder
Skier
I meant to ask this question for a while. The question is not so much about what's your most decadent breakfast dream, but rather, what's your preference for a breakfast that will get you the best start for the ski day.

I was just reading a very nice nutrition article at Skinet. The short of it, is that proteins are a bit overrated (necessary but prevalent in our diets), fats are not as bad as portrayed (except the bad types, please see the article before you eat that big bag of junk food in my name), and complex carbs are key. Of course, we've all seen endurance athletes eat big bowls of pasta the night before a big event. Complex carbs get broken into glucose when needed, to release energy. That's exactly what you want.

Incidentally, the article raises an interest point for those of you recovering from injury or medical procedures (@Eleeski , @Monique , I'm sure I'm missing others): a protein-heavy diet seems to be really good for speeding up your way back to the slopes.

I think there is overall consensus that caffeine before workouts helps activate the metabolism, so it enhances performance. The article actually leans towards not recommending it, because of it's diuretic effects. Thoughts on this one? I would think a good cup of Joe, tea, whatever your fix, is good.

In my case, if I can cook, I'll make nutritious pancakes with my sourdough and my buttermilk (yeah, I'm a freak, I grow a culture of each), eggs in them, and probably fry some eggs as well. Hopefully I have bananas around to add as a topping. Otherwise, I try to do something along those lines. Yogurt, milk, that's all good. Coffee for sure (or even better, mate-tea if I have it handy). Heavy greasy proteins such as sausages have been a complete flop for me: I feel heavy but not any more dynamic, quite the opposite.

So, what's your favorite breakfast for a ski day? What helps you make the best of your day?

:popcorn:
"Complex Carbs" are a sham. If you look at the glycemic index the differences between complex carbs and simple carbs, and even sugars, are negligible. Add to that the fact that whole grains can have some not so nice effects on the intestines.

WARNING: Here comes a rant
I also recommend "The Big Fat Surprise" to anybody who is uncertain about what healthy fat is. THe article you linked rightly focuses on the evils of seed oils (canola, soy, corn, etc) although it stopped short of calling them toxins, which they are. It overstates the healthfulness of fat in fish, but there isn't anything wrong with it per se. Saturated fat (butter, coconut, palm) is where its at though. Both for health and energy. Pork, surprisingly, has a lot of the same omega 6 fats that are toxic due to what it is fed. But if you cook bacon partway and then throw out the fat and finish cooking in some coconut oil, that will work.
RANT OVER

On a ski day, I focus on protein and sugar. As long as you aren't overdosing it, sugar is better than other carbs. I'll have eggs, bacon, OJ or apple juice for breakfast.

Lunch? Doesn't happen. In the morning, I make a ham and cheese sandwich, grilled. Ham and cheese, about 5 alternating layers of each. Grilled and pressed like a cuban. Cool. Pack each half separately. Stuff in jacket. Also stuff apple-mango-kale pouches (costco) and/or mandarins into jacket, along with a couple of pocket coffee . Yes, I've had mandarin juice in the pockets before from a fall. But I've never had the fruit pouches explode. The pocket coffee needs to be in an external pocket, preferably on the pant leg, or it will melt.

Eat a little all day long. In line or on lift. I have a softsided water bottle that goes into my kit somewhere. Its only half a liter, but easy to pack, and can be refilled in any of the conveniently located lodges. Early in the day, I look oddly lumpy with all the food and drink stashed everywhere. But this is healthier, more satisfying, and cheaper than eating resort food.

If I am really on my game, the night before I prepared a lamb stew, or maybe oxtail or pork shoulder, in a dutch oven. Before leaving that morning, I put the dutch oven in the oven at 225F. When I get home, the house smells awesome. I pull out a cold Scrimshaw or Trumer Pils to slake my thirst while I reduce the sauce for the lamb and my wife puts together a salad.

Put it all on the table, pop the cork on a nice Zin or Rhone.

Et voila, perfect ski day, by the food.

EDIT: I forgot to add: A couple of salt packets. Salt helps keep your blood volume up by pulling interstitial water into the bloodstream. This keeps you warmer and tends to keep your heart rate peaks lower. I generally avoid iodized salt, but its okay for ski days. Iodine can stimulate thyroid hormone production which also helps your energy level and keep you warm. The little salt packets in the food court are iodized, so if i forget the salt, I'll snag a few of those when I fill up my water bottle.

Last edited:

Monique

bounceswoosh
Skier
I'm a big believer in protein, recovery or no.

Breakfast is tricky for me. I have trouble eating a big meal on an empty stomach, and particularly when it's earlier than I'd prefer. I rarely sleep well at altitude, so that doesn't help. AND I can't eat gluten, although fortunately it's not as strict a requirement as some, so I can't grab a burrito at the base or anything like that. Any place where I can't cook breakfast myself is a real challenge.

I also don't drink coffee, as a rule, although I do drink decaf and eat chocolate, so some does sneak in.

Usually I have two fried eggs and some GF toast, much like I often have at home. Sometimes I'll add some yogurt topped with cereal. The problem is, somehow I'm almost always hungry by 10am when skiing, so there's another reason to carry snacky things as lunch instead of buying lunch at the lodge.

My real trouble is hydration. Nervous bladder + trying to hydrate in the morning, or at all = not so great for skiing.

cantunamunch

Meh
Skier
I don't believe in big breakfasts on active days. Big breakfasts are for recovery days.

300 calories tops (any more and it's just going to make me feel sleepy), 2 cups of coffee tops.

Protein is good for late-in-the-day snacking.

Last edited:

quant

Don't worry; just go down.
Skier
Preference? Nutrition. This means a good balance of food.

I have to travel to ski, so food is bought for only one week at a time. Therefore, a lot of leftovers are used in breakfasts at the end of the week. Leftover bread? French toast. Leftover onions, cheese, etc.? Omelets. Extra waffles (I travel with a waffle iron) from a breakfast earlier in the week? Put the leftover frozen waffles in the toaster. Leftover tomato-based sauce? Some version of huevos rancheros is made. Leftover potato or potatoes? Grate, add shallots, an herb, and finish the "pancake" in a frying pan. Top it with an egg or two and Swiss potatoes becomes a meal. Bacon? Fat goes with everything on a cold day. The kids are older and will eat just about anything, so it makes the end of the ski week less wasteful.

TS
Mendieta

Mendieta

Master of Snowplow
SkiTalk Tester
Contributor
Pack each half separately. Stuff in jacket.

So, I used to stuff all sorts of crap in the jacket. At some point I started to bring a backpack with a couple cereal bars, water bottles, etc. Is that a bad idea? It definitely sucks on the lift. But a backpack something that you only wear off piste for the usual safety equipment? (not that I do that yet, anyways).

graham418

Skiing the powder
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Oatmeal. A medium size bowl, with nuts and brown sugar. and maybe some sliced up fruit or berries. I was never a fan , until a few years ago, staying with friends at their chalet. Not heavy on the stomach, but keeps you going all day. Truly converted now.
Oh, and lots of coffee as well.

fullStack

Getting on the lift
Skier
Oatmeal.

My wife buys some kind of non-GMO, steel cut, fair trade, free range, race and social justice approved stuff from the bulk bin.

Then I dump enough butter, brown sugar and dried fruit into it that you wouldn't know if you were eating sawdust instead.

skibob

Skiing the powder
Skier
So, I used to stuff all sorts of crap in the jacket. At some point I started to bring a backpack with a couple cereal bars, water bottles, etc. Is that a bad idea? It definitely sucks on the lift. But a backpack something that you only wear off piste for the usual safety equipment? (not that I do that yet, anyways).
Yeah, its a great idea. I'd wear my camelback, except I can't stand it on the lift. Other than that . . .

Monique

bounceswoosh
Skier

I used to wear a backpack. In fact, I went back to wearing a pretty small backpack last season, because I wanted to get used to it for all the sidecountry I planned to do (and never actually did, but anyway ...)

I also had this mild turn initiation problem.

So one day an instructor, new to me, confiscates my backpack at lunch and makes me ski without it. And I immediately skied better. Turn initiation was on point. Our first run after lunch was some pretty tight trees - no problem.

This was not a heavy backpack, or a bulky one. His explanation had to do with how the straps at the waist tend to trick your body into thinking you can't separate upper and lower body effectively.

Lorenzzo

Be The Snow
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
"Complex Carbs" are a sham. If you look at the glycemic index the differences between complex carbs and simple carbs, and even sugars, are negligible. Add to that the fact that whole grains can have some not so nice effects on the intestines.

WARNING: Here comes a rant
I also recommend "The Big Fat Surprise" to anybody who is uncertain about what healthy fat is. THe article you linked rightly focuses on the evils of seed oils (canola, soy, corn, etc) although it stopped short of calling them toxins, which they are. It overstates the healthfulness of fat in fish, but there isn't anything wrong with it per se. Saturated fat (butter, coconut, palm) is where its at though. Both for health and energy. Pork, surprisingly, has a lot of the same omega 6 fats that are toxic due to what it is fed. But if you cook bacon partway and then throw out the fat and finish cooking in some coconut oil, that will work.
RANT OVER

On a ski day, I focus on protein and sugar. As long as you aren't overdosing it, sugar is better than other carbs. I'll have eggs, bacon, OJ or apple juice for breakfast.

Lunch? Doesn't happen. In the morning, I make a ham and cheese sandwich, grilled. Ham and cheese, about 5 alternating layers of each. Grilled and pressed like a cuban. Cool. Pack each half separately. Stuff in jacket. Also stuff apple-mango-kale pouches (costco) and/or mandarins into jacket, along with a couple of pocket coffee . Yes, I've had mandarin juice in the pockets before from a fall. But I've never had the fruit pouches explode. The pocket coffee needs to be in an external pocket, preferably on the pant leg, or it will melt.

Eat a little all day long. In line or on lift. I have a softsided water bottle that goes into my kit somewhere. Its only half a liter, but easy to pack, and can be refilled in any of the conveniently located lodges. Early in the day, I look oddly lumpy with all the food and drink stashed everywhere. But this is healthier, more satisfying, and cheaper than eating resort food.

If I am really on my game, the night before I prepared a lamb stew, or maybe oxtail or pork shoulder, in a dutch oven. Before leaving that morning, I put the dutch oven in the oven at 225F. When I get home, the house smells awesome. I pull out a cold Scrimshaw or Trumer Pils to slake my thirst while I reduce the sauce for the lamb and my wife puts together a salad.

Put it all on the table, pop the cork on a nice Zin or Rhone.

Et voila, perfect ski day, by the food.

EDIT: I forgot to add: A couple of salt packets. Salt helps keep your blood volume up by pulling interstitial water into the bloodstream. This keeps you warmer and tends to keep your heart rate peaks lower. I generally avoid iodized salt, but its okay for ski days. Iodine can stimulate thyroid hormone production which also helps your energy level and keep you warm. The little salt packets in the food court are iodized, so if i forget the salt, I'll snag a few of those when I fill up my water bottle.
I feel hesitant to comment on nutrition because it's somewhat like discussing religion. There is far less in the way of peer-reviewed and substantiated research based belief than personal experience based, or worse, promoter or food company driven, often through research they've funded. Food companies are a major source of research dollars.

I agree with much of what you've written. That said, I'll offer a few things.

The glycemic difference between wheat and white isn't meaningful until you're talking about true whole grains in contrast to what's typically marketed as whole wheat - which isn't. It still isn't low enough to be ideal....unless it's prior to vigorous and extended exercise.

There isn't proof but there is a growing body of evidence red meat of any kind is a major source of inflammation and that inflammation is a or possibly the primary root cause of cancer, heart disease and other bad things, Paleo notwithstanding. Yeah...it's choice of research to some extent but there's enough there to redefine prudence for many.

I'm partly posting this in case you can knock holes in it. I'd love a steak or the lamb dish you described.

Monique

bounceswoosh
Skier
I'm partly posting this in case you can knock holes in it. I'd love a steak or the lamb dish you described.

I can't knock holes in it. You're probably right. But weirdly, with all my GI issues and all the foods my gut objects to - I've never had steak make my intestines miserable.

I don't buy the blood type diet, but I do buy the general concept that different people have different bodies that respond differently to different foods. Apparently one of my acquaintances can only have milk products if they're from cows that lack a certain gene?? Crazy stuff. Gluten-free meals often substitute with quinoa, but quinoa upsets my stomach, whereas gluten actually doesn't - but its long term effects are miserable. I suspect a lot of us - maybe it's just those of us with digestive issues - can learn a lot just by paying attention to our own bodily responses. Of course, that doesn't help in determining, say, long-term risks of cancer or heart disease.

FWIW, I thought the cancer was tied more to charring than to steak per se.

Lorenzzo

Be The Snow
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
I can't knock holes in it. You're probably right. But weirdly, with all my GI issues and all the foods my gut objects to - I've never had steak make my intestines miserable.

I don't buy the blood type diet, but I do buy the general concept that different people have different bodies that respond differently to different foods. Apparently one of my acquaintances can only have milk products if they're from cows that lack a certain gene?? Crazy stuff. Gluten-free meals often substitute with quinoa, but quinoa upsets my stomach, whereas gluten actually doesn't - but its long term effects are miserable. I suspect a lot of us - maybe it's just those of us with digestive issues - can learn a lot just by paying attention to our own bodily responses. Of course, that doesn't help in determining, say, long-term risks of cancer or heart disease.

FWIW, I thought the cancer was tied more to charring than to steak per se.
What's a steak without at least some really nice charring? You raise a good point in that while we may know a lot about many things, in preventive health is in its infancy.

Still nothing credible I've seen that gluten poses an issue except for true Celiacs. Anybody?

Monique

bounceswoosh
Skier
What's a steak without at least some really nice charring? You raise a good point in that while we may know a lot about many things, in preventive health is in its infancy.

Still nothing credible I've seen that gluten poses an issue except for true Celiacs. Anybody?

Yeah, me. You could have asked me directly. I have Crohn's disease. There have been studies proving that gluten is an issue for Crohn's, and have been given this guidance by my GI doctor.

Lorenzzo

Be The Snow
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Yeah, me. You could have asked me directly. I have Crohn's disease. There have been studies proving that gluten is an issue for Crohn's, and have been given this guidance by my GI doctor.
Sorry to hear. I have a friend who deals with that. I had an issue resolved by removal of portion of my LI three years ago.

Sponsor