• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

What's your favorite breakfast for a ski day?

TS
Mendieta

Mendieta

Master of Snowplow
SkiTalk Tester
Contributor
This will do:

breakfast-at-theatre.jpg

That'l keep you going for a while :golfclap: - Is that at the ski area/resort?

RumbaRockette

Putting on skis
Skier
That'l keep you going for a while :golfclap: - Is that at the ski area/resort?

No, just a photo online of a NY Theater District Breakfast. They're a little less filling then Full English Breakfasts... but close. You can still move after you eat them.

I usually skip lunch in lieu of a late afternoon snack when I ski. Lunch time on a ski area is usually the best time because slopes are empty. :daffy:

TS
Mendieta

Mendieta

Master of Snowplow
SkiTalk Tester
Contributor
No, just a photo online of a NY Theater District Breakfast. They're a little less filling then Full English Breakfasts... but close. You can still move after you eat them.

I usually skip lunch in lieu of a late afternoon snack when I ski. Lunch time on a ski area is usually the best time because slopes are empty. :daffy:

Yup - the other thing that works out in zoo days (big Holidays, etc) is to grab _early_ lunch around 11, when the crowds are still pouring into the slopes, and start skiing again at noon. :yahoo:

Tony S

I have a confusion to make ...
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
I'm a big believer in protein, recovery or no.

Breakfast is tricky for me. I have trouble eating a big meal on an empty stomach, and particularly when it's earlier than I'd prefer. I rarely sleep well at altitude, so that doesn't help. AND I can't eat gluten, although fortunately it's not as strict a requirement as some, so I can't grab a burrito at the base or anything like that. Any place where I can't cook breakfast myself is a real challenge.

I also don't drink coffee, as a rule, although I do drink decaf and eat chocolate, so some does sneak in.

Usually I have two fried eggs and some GF toast, much like I often have at home. Sometimes I'll add some yogurt topped with cereal. The problem is, somehow I'm almost always hungry by 10am when skiing, so there's another reason to carry snacky things as lunch instead of buying lunch at the lodge.

My real trouble is hydration. Nervous bladder + trying to hydrate in the morning, or at all = not so great for skiing.

Well shit, Monique, that MA thread is a waste of time; this is at the root of your technique challenges. You gotta do what I do and organize your day around eating, drinking, and pissing. Then the turns will take care of themselves. (Mostly but not entirely kidding.)

Tony S

Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
I don't believe in big breakfasts on active days. Big breakfasts are for recovery days.

300 calories tops (any more and it's just going to make me feel sleepy), 2 cups of coffee tops.

Protein is good for late-in-the-day snacking.

:nono:

The opposite works for me. :huh:

"Works on my machine," eh @Monique ?

Tony S

Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
Depends on whether I'm staying and eating local or driving a long way to the hill. If driving, I need two breakfasts. Early breakfast is oatmeal or muesli, fruit, yogurt, coffee or tea. Drink water on drive. An hour before skiing, McDonald's sausage McMuffin with egg. I know, I know. "I thought you were a food snob!" I am, but this works for me.

If staying local, I blend the two. Basically I have two eggs along with the granola and fruit. If I skip the fat and protein I crash by 10:30.

Yo Momma

Making fresh tracks
Skier
interesting ............ Oatmeal w/ a croissant and strong dark coffee press or my usual Veggie drink made up of mix of water, veggie juice, hemp protein, ground flax seeds, sunflower lecithin, apple cider vinegar, coriander, tumeric, cinnamon, ginger, and a few drops of Ginko tincture.....Yummy......... I just pretend it's a Bloody Mary........ then piss like a race horse! :bloodymary:

mtbs247

In the parking lot (formerly "At the base lodge")
Skier
Try to keep it light as I don't like skiing on a full tummy. If I'm noshing in the truck on the way then fruit and a bagel with cream cheese. Tea. Lots of water. If I'm crashing in the mountains a small bowl of oatmeal or cereal with some fruit. Energy bar mid day if I get hungry. Rarely eat at the resorts with the rare exception of Loveland.

If I'm feeling lucky and its chorizo day (Thursday) I'll stop for a Santiago's breakast burrito - hot with cheese. Denver thing.

Monique

bounceswoosh
Skier
Well shit, Monique, that MA thread is a waste of time; this is at the root of your technique challenges. You gotta do what I do and organize your day around eating, drinking, and pissing. Then the turns will take care of themselves. (Mostly but not entirely kidding.)

I was neither hungry nor thirsty nor ... pissful(?) ... in that video! I wish I could blame one of those.

river-z

searching for seasons
Skier
Breakfast burrito and a coffee.
Stellar Brew in Mammoth has a hot window with 4-5 options ready to grab.
It's quick, filling, and tasty. Love that place.

Sponsor

Staff online