• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

What's the coolest pair of skis you've owned

graham418

Skiing the powder
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
The second coolest pair I had after my Spaldings were a pair of Yamaha Paramount Custom XL's. They were orange with a kind of maroon chevron pattern, kind of like a Volkl Zebra. The bases were clear, with Paramount Racing Team written underneath. Very cool, and very excellent skis.

Carolinacub

Yes thats a Cubs hat I'm wearing
Skier
@Bill Talbot@Philpug
Here's My The Skis...Been hauling them around forever. Bought them new in the early 80's while ski bumming in Aspen then they came back to Florida with me and now in Western NC. 208 from tail to tip. how do you like the 3$ bamboo poles
20170922_212241.jpg

Last edited:

Jack skis

Ex 207cm VR17 Skier
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
The 207cm Dynamic VR 17's noted under my avatar. They were my only skis for a long time and I used then in all conditions. Still have them and since I got them in the '60's they are probably 50 years old. They were more of a ski than I was of a skier, but I just had to have'm. Lots of ski before them and after them, but they were the coolest for sure .

Choucas

Getting off the lift
Skier
My cool ski list:
Head XP-7: This was a Killy prototype. Black top with normal Head engraving in white, dark blue bottom. Cracked edges. Cool because there weren't many of them. Worked for Head while I was in college. Also had Head 220 DH's.
Head Flexible: Still have these. Belonged to my mother in law. Very thin profile. Soft by old time ski standards.
Head XR-1: One was yellow and the other one was orange. Very light/quick. Great edge hold.
Dynamic VR7: The predecessor of the VR17. Looked like they were made in a garage. Didn't have the two diagonal black bar logo under the tip. Funny pink rubber bumpers screwed into the tail. Screw on tip protectors made out of a very thin, not too tough metal. Almost zero camber. Had the old Marker long thongs that were an integral part of the closing system on the turntable heel pieces. They never came off. Loved them.
Rossignol Allais Major: 215 GS. I might have weighed 145 lbs. at the time. Great as long as you planned on going fast. These were my powder skis.
Fischer SL Race Ski: 205 SL. I really don't know what these were called. I think that they were a Superglass with a special graphic which consisted of huge billboard FISCHER in dark blue letters on a day-glo orange top. They has a semi transparent milky blue base that really took wax well. I can't find a photo of these anywhere. Very stylish in the early 70's when orange was big. Very nice skis.
Dynastar Alti Plume: The first super light touring ski. Early 90's. Skied it with the early Dynafit Tech Binding. Great going uphill. Terrifying going down (this may have something to do with the fact that you could only use a Dynafit touring boot with the binding, and at that time, they we're awful skiing boots in ski mode). Skis and boots didn't last long.
Kastle TX98: Current touring ski. Amazingly light. Amazingly stable. Great in all snow except at higher speeds on hard pistes but what do you expect?

Doug Briggs

"Douche Bag Local"
Industry Insider
SkiTalk Tester
I can't believe I haven't alread posted in this thread. :eek:

All three in one picture. Left to right: Elan M1111, K2 Big Kahuna Jerry Garcia limited edition and Atomic Bent Chettler.

20140521_051640_Android.jpg

Doug Briggs

"Douche Bag Local"
Industry Insider
SkiTalk Tester
I see that cool is a relative term.

I've had VR 17s, Head XR1s, Rossi ROC 550s, Rossi STs, Rossi ROCs, Hart Hornets and all sorts of DH skis. All cool in a retro, historic and 'damned those are great skis' cool sort of way.

4ster

Just because you can doesn’t mean you should!
Instructor
The coolest pair gotta be my first:
first skis.jpg

I think I had some borrowed skis before these but these were the first that were mine. They were hand me downs from my older brother. Kneissl White Stars were the popular ski at the time so my bro, being a cool dude & somewhat artistic painted them white & put the star on them for me :) .

I've had some other pretty cool skis. One was a pair of Fischer Vacuum 212cm SG skis that were leftovers made for Markus Wasmeier. Another was a pair of Authier GS skis made for Marco Tonazzi during his Pro skiing days. Sadly I broke both right under the binding heal piece on their first bump run :( .

Doby Man

Out on the slopes
Skier
Damn! This is like a classic car meet! I haven’t had much of a look around this site outside of one or two categories. Somewhat expansive. Back in my 20’s I only skied one ski per season so some of these photos bring me back to the ski area where I used them like an 80’s rock hit brings me back to high school. I see my Alta skis. Same ski literally every day for two seasons. The KVC for ice, powder and everything in between. It was my “steep and deep” ski from which I never produced a hankering for anything else, not even more surface area for which I think may have not existed back then? Well, if there were no fat skis at Alta … there were no fat skis anywhere. I always acquired either a SL or GS ski, or both, and was always fully satisfied with my skis. I will always miss cutting through soft pillows of snow with stiff and narrow boards. It was a more “tactile” experience than today’s flotation but more work too. While later years as a turn screw expanded my offerings, I have always just wanted to be able to do all my skiing on one ski like I almost still do today. So the coolest ski for me personally? The K2 KVC. Literally bulletproof!

CalG

Out on the slopes
Pass Pulled
Do K2 MSL (Missiles) count? 203s And every cm a blast (they are up in the rafters still... mounted and ready! The First shaped ski!

Or those luscious Dynastar MV^2s Those subtle white top sheets. Soft tips. stiff tales! With Nevada's no less! Damn Deep snow or no snow. They were fun!

Those were skis to enjoy!!

CalG

Out on the slopes
Pass Pulled
Volkle Zebras! And a pair of "Red Hots"

What is the best time from Vail summit to Pepies?

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
Do K2 MSL (Missiles) count? 203s And every cm a blast (they are up in the rafters still... mounted and ready! The First shaped ski!

Or those luscious Dynastar MV^2s Those subtle white top sheets. Soft tips. stiff tales! With Nevada's no less! Damn Deep snow or no snow. They were fun!

Those were skis to enjoy!!
They count, just because it was one of the coolest ski names.

CalG

Out on the slopes
Pass Pulled
MV2's were among the coolest of all time (or at least of a certain time).

Do the math

MV^2 = Kinetic ENERGY! Nice little "play on words" err symbols

Ahh heck, math is a language, isn't it? ;-)

SpikeDog

You want Big Air, kid?
Skier
Head Mad Trix Mojo's were the coolest looking ski I've owned so far. First time I actually demo'ed skis before buying, and it was between these and the Blue Noodles (Solly Pocket Rockets). Such a light year jump from the ones I had been skiing.

madtrix_mojo_m.jpg

As far as cool historical skis, I've got a pair of Olin Sierras skied by Smooth Johnson. :daffy:

TitanPro99

In the parking lot (formerly "At the base lodge")
Skier
OK, Here we go. I'm new here so this is my first post. Proper skis!

All 2 Metres or thereabouts ;-)
Blizzard Thermo Dh and also SL FFFFFFAST! (first pair I ever bought SL 195's)
Authier Pirmin Zubriggen 203 I still got em ;-) See Pic's
IMG_20171002_162916.jpg
IMG_20171002_162857.jpg
]
Kastle RX12's
Kneissl Racing Star (White)
K2 Race SL
Blizzard AVS

Later in life:
Firscher RX9's 180's
Blizzard Titan 9's 181's

Twin Tips:
Blizzard Titan Pro's 193's
Current Nordica NRG 90's 185's

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
OK, Here we go. I'm new here so this is my first post. Proper skis!

Authier Pirmin Zubriggen 203 I still got em ;-) See Pic's
View attachment 30815 View attachment 30816 ]
I will tell the story again...This was about 8-10 years ago when I was still working at my old shop. A guy came in with some unmounted Authier Zuerbriggens to get mounted. He had a brand new pair of Marker Twin Cam MR's to mount on them then the kicker was a brand new, still on the original box pair of Lange XL1000's for boots. At the time I was on the second floor and got called to the register to ask what should the clerk do since the gear was significantly old than all be 3 people who worked at the shop. I immediately looked aound to see if someone had a camera or I was infact being "punked" but this guy was serious. He was an intermedate skier just betting back into the sport and he found all of the gear (I forget if it was local or on line). He said he knew wit was older but that didn't mean it still wasn't any good. As I was admiring the gear, he said I know you can mount it all for me. I explained it wasn't that the binding was no longer current, which it wasn't, I told him the gear should be on display some where and from what you are saying about yourself, it just wasn't the best gear for what he needed. He said, "you are just trying to sell me new bindings".. I replied.."I never said you have to buy anything new, just that what you have is not the best but also because of the age of the bindings, we we will not mount them."

I have seen quite a few Zerbriggens around, even unmounted ones but it was the Lange XL1000's new in the box that really caught my attention. I am assuming that we were not the first not last shop he checked out. About a week later he joined Epic and told his side of the story...Lets say we both had a different recollection of the day.

Uncle-A

In the words of Paul Simon "You can call me Al"
Skier
I have been fortunate to have skied on and owned many of the skis on the above posts. From the Dynamics to the Rossi Stratos and the Kastle RX's but I will have to go for my Hexcel Comps as the Coolest skis I have ever owned. The navy blue background, electronic green lettering and honeycomb pattern on the tip just did it for me now add the lightness and how well they skied, a complete package.

NZRob

Skiing the Rock
Skier
Great thread...lots of memories, especially watching the Mahre brothers on their K2's in the World Pro Tour dual slalom at Squaw in the late 80's. Anyway my coolest skis were my first set of proper skis....second hand Dynastar Course SL's with Look 99 RS. Couldn't take my eyes off them......even after one of the vibration dampeners went missing after a big fall. Loved my K2 KVC's too (after bending many TNC's).

attachment.php

Sponsor