• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

What's the coolest pair of skis you've owned

slowrider

Trencher
Skier
Had a pair of 215cm Head Deep Powder skis. They were noooodles. Someone painted florescent stripes on the tips & tails. Lived in the Portland, Oregon area and wife brought home a pair of boards that were sticking up through the sunroof they were Rossi 223cm DH. Upon closer inspection there was a name scribed on the top sheets. Bob Johnson.

CalG

Out on the slopes
Pass Pulled
I get a lot of comments when the CMH "Heli" top sheet Vollkl Explosiv are under my boots. (It must be the graphic with a helicopter that catches eyes. ) But that's just the top sheet. They are a spanky ski however, and I really enjoy skiing them.

I think I enjoyed skiing the Hexels more. They were Sooo cool.

eta

Correction IIRC "Hexcel" as witnessed in the post below. I've never been much for paying attention to spelling.... ;-)

Last edited:

Dave Petersen

Graphic Designer/Social Media Manager
Admin
SkiTalk Supporter
Graphically my PRE M6 skis were pretty cool when I bought them.
IMG_0274.JPG

IMG_0275.JPG

Of course that was back in the neon years.

crgildart

Gravity Slave
Skier
Going to go with my very first pair of brand NEW skis... 2nd pair of skis I used resort skiing.. 1977 hart gremlins. Got them at a spring clearance same and stared at them for hours every week until finally getting to ski them in October.. an early opening was indeed appreciated.. The pair I got two years after that was probably the "coolest" in terms of something my friends were jealous of.. hart freestyles at age 13. SWEEEEEET!

Dwight

Practitioner of skiing, solid and liquid
Admin
SkiTalk Supporter
My 1982 Hexcel Golds. Still have them and ski them once.

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
Inbefore @Billtalbot @Mack @Joal
Owned or own now?

In this post I will do the "Own Now", I will come back to to the owned.

Numerous pairs of The Ski
fullsizeoutput_59b7.jpeg

Yellow/Blue
Skittles
Nanos
Puppets
ect

K2:
IMG_0581.JPG

Undrilled VO Slaloms, in the wrapper and matchign GS Electras
IMG_1327.JPG

610/710/810/910 collection
IMG_1247.JPG

244 Mogul ski

Other:
IMG_0167.JPG

IMG_1918.JPG

Nordica Enforcer Proto #003
Bonafide with 85mm waist graphic

TS
slowrider

slowrider

Trencher
Skier
^awesome phil. These were fun & done.
woodskis.jpg

Hexcels had a cool factor back then. Still have a pair of split tails in the shop.

CalG

Out on the slopes
Pass Pulled
All right, I ski the K2 710's every spring. "just to keep current", but I don't think of them as "cool".

The marker "explode-o- mats that are mounted on them, on the other hand, are WAY COOL!.

Boot out is the name of the game. ;-)

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
All right, I ski the K2 710's every spring. "just to keep current", but I don't think of them as "cool".

1979-jpg.6561
What??? Not 710's NOT cool? That like saying Phil & Steve Mahre were NOT "cool". That like saying apple pie is NOT "cool" Thats like saying AMERICA is not "cool". Are you a communist or something?

IMG_0506.JPG

c-jpg.6571

image-jpeg.6597

You tell Momma Mahre that her son's are NOT "cool" and that they are Communists.
image-jpeg.6608

JeffB

ODAT
Skier
Rossi ST Comp, Serie R.

They were hand me downs from my dad, but the first ski that was mine, meaning no more rental gear. He threw them away when I was at college on the grounds they were old junk taking up space.

To this day they are my Holy Grail ski. I would pay an obscene amount of money to find a pair in good condition. Odds are they would be wall art in my favorite drinking room in the house. I want, no need, them back.

CalG

Out on the slopes
Pass Pulled
Ouch

Phil

That hurts you know....

I suppose

That's why

I bring them out EVERY SPRING

Just to let everyone know, I like apple pie, love my mother, and am not a commie ....

And then there is the fun of skiing them. Heck! They turn JUST LIKE my newest and greatest.

Tip 'em, and they turn! Whee Haaaaa!

The Markers on the other hand are just a show of defiance and daring do... ;-)

Nevada's just wouldn't be as cool.

tinymoose

Getting off the lift
Skier
I haven't owned many skis but probably my Kenjas. They not only were cool looking, they were a super fun ski (for someone better/heavier than me). I still had fun on them even though I wasn't bending them well. :huh:

volkl_kenja_2013.jpg

ETA: Based on what works for me, the Yumis... but the ones I have are not particularly cool looking.

CalG

Out on the slopes
Pass Pulled
There is NOTHING so cool as a Krylon flat black top sheet!

Or the flat color of your choice.

Turns any ski into a big question mark!

Dave Petersen

Graphic Designer/Social Media Manager
Admin
SkiTalk Supporter
Had a pair of 215cm Head Deep Powder skis. They were noooodles. Someone painted florescent stripes on the tips & tails. Lived in the Portland, Oregon area and wife brought home a pair of boards that were sticking up through the sunroof they were Rossi 223cm DH. Upon closer inspection there was a name scribed on the top sheets. Bob Johnson.

Not Bill Johnson?

surfsnowgirl

Instructor
Skier
I kinda wished I had bought those snicker skis skiessentials was selling. I thought they were pretty cool. I know so gimmicky but they made me smile

I am pretty fond of my Meier Wild Bill topsheets. i anticipate many chairlift chats this coming season.

WildBill_ab9ac183-f06e-4b9c-bb49-b83020f3e65c_2048x2048.png

Joal

Out on the slopes
Skier
I thought the graph paper graphics on the Kneissl was pretty cool. Had a pair of them just after my ALU Combi. The others, well, they are my first tier although never owned them in the period but they are the coolest.
DSC04448.JPG

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
I've had a lot of skis, but not sure I've had a lot of cool skis.
I guess the coolest skis I've ever owned are TheSki Nano pictured in Phil's post above.
I love how the light shines through it and the sagebrush is in the base.

I also have a pair of Rossi's ROC 550's that I hold near and dear to my heart @Bill Talbot may be able to share a little history on those.
Its been a while since I've had them on snow.
100_1699.JPG

Sponsor

Staff online