• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Utah Wassatch Peaks. Is this for real?

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
Yup. Trying to be the Yellowstone Club of Utah.

BLiP

Out on the slopes
Skier
Advertising prices? On Instagram? Pretty low brow for an “exclusive” and “luxury” club. Makes me think they are struggling to find buyers in the traditional referral and word of mouth method that most private clubs operate under.

Wasatchman

over the hill
Skier
I met someone the other day that is a ski patroller there. They have an injunction to stop building but they already have a few lifts installed and some ski operations are already underway.

Dwight

Practitioner of skiing, solid and liquid
Admin
SkiTalk Supporter

Dwight

Practitioner of skiing, solid and liquid
Admin
SkiTalk Supporter
Advertising prices? On Instagram? Pretty low brow for an “exclusive” and “luxury” club. Makes me think they are struggling to find buyers in the traditional referral and word of mouth method that most private clubs operate under.
That Instagram account is a realtor not Peaks.

4ster

Just because you can doesn’t mean you should!
Instructor
It’s for real! I have friends who have skied there, one yesterday. They already have lifts to the top & ski operations have been going at least since last season.
Here’s what he posted yesterday…
IMG_3971.jpeg

AmyPJ

Skiing the powder
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
The residents who live below the resort are really having issues with avy control blasting. The little town of Peterson is literally right there, with a lot of homes that have been there for generations snugged up against the property boundary. I think that is an issue the county commissioners did not consider (among a lot of other things.) The whole thing has added to the prices of homes skyrocketing in Morgan County.

silverback

Talking a lot about less and less
Skier

pete

not peace but 2 Beers!
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
It’s for real! I have friends who have skied there, one yesterday. They already have lifts to the top & ski operations have been going at least since last season.
Here’s what he posted yesterday…
View attachment 222915
oohhh

sometime good to have friends, especially if they share ;)

4ster

Instructor
@4ster

Might be worth getting a part time gig there so you can get the ski privileges. If I lived closer I would definitely consider it.
Not sure how frequent the skiing privileges (if any) would be & I'm a pretty frequent skier ;). I will say that I have considered it though. A friends kid was patrolling there last year & didn't return :huh: . Best scenario would be for the private thing to fail & the whole thing go public. It is obvious that there is demand for more ski terrain in the west.

The residents who live below the resort are really having issues with avy control blasting. The little town of Peterson is literally right there, with a lot of homes that have been there for generations snugged up against the property boundary. I think that is an issue the county commissioners did not consider (among a lot of other things.) The whole thing has added to the prices of homes skyrocketing in Morgan County.
My friends in Morgan County are not happy. With increased property values come increased taxes, not a positive if it is your forever home. We've experienced the same in the Ogden Valley.

Wasatchman

over the hill
Skier
@4ster @AmyPJ

I would think Wasatch Peaks from a strictly property tax perspective would be a huge positive not a negative. This development would greatly increase the tax base among a user base that wouldn't pit much strain on resources including schooling. We're talking wealthy owners with multi million dollar properties that are not there all that often.

From a strictly property tax consideration it doesn't get much better for the city

4ster

Instructor
@4ster @AmyPJ

I would think Wasatch Peaks from a strictly property tax perspective would be a huge positive not a negative. This development would greatly increase the tax base among a user base that wouldn't pit much strain on resources including schooling. We're talking wealthy owners with multi million dollar properties that are not there all that often.

From a strictly property tax consideration it doesn't get much better for the city
I think your point was the pitch to the county when the project was initially approved.

Wasatchman

over the hill
Skier
I think your point was the pitch to the county when the project was initially approved.
From a property tax perspective I think that pitch is spot on. I also think it is by far the least intrusive way of developing that land as well. If that land is going to be developed, a private area with part time residents and large lots is by far the least impactful change to the character of the community.

To be honest, if I were a resident and that land was going to be developed, Wasatch Peaks is exactly what I would want even if I never got to use it. If the neighbors are unhappy with Wasatch Peaks, their life would be hell if that was a public ski resort.

AmyPJ

Skiing the powder
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
@4ster @AmyPJ

That's been the pitch. But it still doesn't address the added burden on the existing residents, many who have been there for decades and who are now on a fixed income. The added burden comes from increasing home values overall. It's a double-edged sword--people of modest means are priced out both by the high costs of homes plus the high costs of property taxes, particularly compared to what they used to be.

noobski

Out on the slopes
Skier
From a property tax perspective I think that pitch is spot on. I also think it is by far the least intrusive way of developing that land as well. If that land is going to be developed, a private area with part time residents and large lots is by far the least impactful change to the character of the community.

To be honest, if I were a resident and that land was going to be developed, Wasatch Peaks is exactly what I would want even if I never got to use it. If the neighbors are unhappy with Wasatch Peaks, their life would be hell if that was a public ski resort.
Agreed with all of this.

Higher value homes, all things equal, lower relative property taxes on existing residents. It's generally a big economic windfall for them. And local governments are not allowed to be "For Profit". They spread the resource demand among all residents and commercial real estate normally on prorated basis relative to value and/or use. Short of something uncommon that would spike resource need for the municipality like the development a new school system, the net effect is likely a big economic benefit to existing home owners int he form of less taxes and higher home value. The absolute property tax dollar amount may go up due to home value rising on existing homeowners, but the relative percentage amount usually goes down given the higher valued tax base, all while that existing homeowner becomes wealthier due to home value increases. If you live in a high demand future development zone, encroachment will always be a risk or reward depending on how you look at it to existing homeowners but if it's desirable then the existing owners become significantly wealthier. If they are on fixed income and can't afford their homes any longer, they still have choices like reverse mortgage or sell outright for what would likely be significant profit. The vast majority of retirees will have absolutely no choice but to sell their homes for retirement spending needs, so this outcome (increased home value due to encroachment) is highly beneficial to them economically speaking compared to others. All that said, emotionally the changes are understandably disruptive and frustrating for those who don't want to leave, even if the economic benefits are pretty clearly favorable.

Sponsor