• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

New England VT Epic Resort March 31st

KingGrump

Most Interesting Man In The World
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
I am always amused by reading “how bad it is”….in UT.

1705244529783.png

We have been skiing SLC since 1981. Some of our favorite ski areas. Love staying in SLC and have options.
Place has changed a lot over the years. Now, we will not ski the Bird unless we are staying up the hill.

Reactions: BC.

4aprice

Out on the slopes
Skier
Okemo is more family oriented, a less expensive destination as far as lodging restaurants etc etc , and closer. Go there. Just because Stowe is further north does not mean conditions will be better. They are not famous for snowmaking or grooming. Best odds for fun late season conditions are at Killington, but that is Ikon not Epic. Stowe does have some fine resorts for families and non-downhill activities, but they are typically high $$$.
Unfortunately, Christmas and Easter/late March are really quite iffy anywhere in New England. In New England, no dates are guaranteed good skiing. Feb is pretty good, but we have a school vacation 3rd/4th week making places crowded.
Learning in New England will make your family better skiers, and more appreciative of the sunshine and snow out west when you eventually get there!
Not to be a pill, but I think there is a difference in snow depth and quality between Okemo/Mt Snow and Stowe. The mountains Killington north seem much more rugged and snowier then south of Killington. Much more likely to be the benefactors of Lake Effect snows coming off Ontario and Champlain

I also disagree late March is that iffy in Northern New England. Most years the major resorts make it to mid April easily. Of course nothing is guaranteed but I would think 9 or at least 8 out of every 10 years there is decent skiing right up to closing. IMG_0361.JPG
This picture was taken April 15th 2019. As you can see plenty of snow at a pretty modest elevation. Mansfield gets as much snow as anywhere in the Northeast.

DebbieSue

Out on the slopes
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Not to be a pill, but I think there is a difference in snow depth and quality between Okemo/Mt Snow and Stowe. The mountains Killington north seem much more rugged and snowier then south of Killington. Much more likely to be the benefactors of Lake Effect snows coming off Ontario and Champlain

I also disagree late March is that iffy in Northern New England.
You’re not being a pill, just a different perspective. For advanced skiers, no kids in tow, certainly go further north any month for quality of snow. How ‘bout book both, if cancellation policies allow, and decide in March based on conditions. Or, take a day trip to Stowe from Okemo.

TS
V

vtmecheng

Putting on skis
Skier
You’re not being a pill, just a different perspective. For advanced skiers, no kids in tow, certainly go further north any month for quality of snow. How ‘bout book both, if cancellation policies allow, and decide in March based on conditions. Or, take a day trip to Stowe from Okemo.
Wife and I were just talking about this idea. We love being less than 15 min from the slopes. Makes life so much easier with kids.

BLiP

Out on the slopes
Skier
but I think there is a difference in snow depth and quality between Okemo/Mt Snow and Stowe. The mountains Killington north seem much more rugged and snowier then south of Killington.
I haven’t been up to Stowe yet this year, but just based on conditions reports, Okemo has more terrain open now. Could (or will) change with a few good storms. But Stowe has had roughly the same closing date (second week of April) as Okemo for the last couple of years. Either way, end of March is nearing the end of the season.

p.s., They are not that close for a day trip (roughly 2 hours). Particularly if someone is not used to driving in that terrain.

DebbieSue

Out on the slopes
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
p.s., They are not that close for a day trip (roughly 2 hours). Particularly if someone is not used to driving in that terrain.
Agree it’s a long day trip, but figured I’d put it out there esp if they are there for a week.

4aprice

Out on the slopes
Skier
Not if you are staying on top of the hill.

I guessed you fell for the locals crying wolf to keep the tourist away.
Not today. All locked down out there right now. Salt Lake has grown. The Cottonwoods have their own unique problems. We get there every year but only ski week days, and the powder rushes are the only crowds we get to deal with. The day I left Utah last year to drive back to Denver (a base for us) LCC (and BCC as well) were closed for avi mitigation. The line of cars waiting to get up there extended at least 4 miles south from the Canyon mouth. Pretty lasting image to me. As bad as I-70 can be I'll take it over those canyons.

PinnacleJim

Out on the slopes
Skier
In the spring in VT, it's more about elevation and exposure than latitude. At Killington in the spring you can go from slush at the bottom of Bear and then find firm and fast conditions off the Superstar lift.

TS
V

vtmecheng

Putting on skis
Skier
I appreciate everyone’s thoughts on this. It’s interesting how different perspectives actually are here. In the end, it is the East and unpredictable. I think we are going to book at both for now. While I don’t want to drive 10.5 hours for 3 ski days, it’s a good contingency. Stowe would also give the kids their first gondola ride.

TravelingTo

In the parking lot (formerly "At the base lodge")
Skier
This thread has been super helpful to me. Thank you all!

I was going to ask a very similar question as the thread: Stowe or Okemo? for March 27-31 (ski days 28,29,30). Tried to put a lot of detail if that helps.

Background on us if needed: We live in PA with Okemo being 6.5 hours and Stowe 8 hours. We have Epic Local passes. Easter weekend is not a blackout. We are intermediate to advanced skiers. with two of us being intermediate snowboarders but will mostly ski . Wife and I plus 17 and 13 year olds. 17yr likes more black runs. With other 3 of us content with blues, single diamond blacks some; but also like green/blue cruiser trails with narrow pine tree lined cruisers being a favorite resting runs. etc. Any names of favorite blue / cruiser tree lined runs at either resort?
(Stowe had nicer narrow/medium wide cruiser runs lined with trees in my memory than Okemo.)

This is what I got from the thread, you can reply with anything else you have or corrections/other viewpoints. Questions in BOLD:
1. In general rule further north colder, especially Killington and mountains North of there, more chance of more snow/also surprise snow do to Lake Ontario and Lake Champlain lake effect.
2. Stowe more challenging terrain/more rugged, but Stowe still has plenty of blues and greens Correct?; Okemo less steep more choices of blues and greens (Is that true? I thought so but not sure)
3. IMO I feel like Stowe is more similar to resorts out US West than Okemo and probably many other East resorts. Is that accurate in your option? My boys have not gotten out West yet and like them to experience more that feel for when we go West.
4. Base at Okemo is 16" now and Stowe is 29" (based on looking at 2 sources) if accurate that bodes better for Stowe in late March Agreed?
5. Which is more crowded during Easter weekend March 27-31 (skiing 28,29,30th) Stowe, Okemo and throw in Mt Snow? What I heard was Okemo and Mt Snow may actually be more crowded due to closer to larger population areas. Votes on that/Personal experience during holidays at those resorts? Best parts of resort ski areas to avoid crowds?
6. Stowe more expensive at resort and surrounding areas for lodging, food etc. I have found this to be true but not tremendously more expensive.

At this point I will book a location, with a free cancellation close to a week or two to the date. My vote is Stowe for reasons above. Con that is family may not love 1.5 hours more each way but I think it is worth it. Facts, opinions on that?

Last edited:

Sponsor

Staff online