• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

New England VT Epic Resort March 31st

vtmecheng

Putting on skis
Skier
Hi there experienced Vermont carvers. I’m looking to take my family back up to Vermont for 3 days of skiing over Easter, skiing Friday through Sunday since that’s all school would allow and us being about 9 hrs from Okemo and 10.25 hrs from Stowe. We went to Okemo over Christmas week but the conditions were poor. That being our first time in the NE, we would love to get back up for a better idea of what it’s like. Wife is a teacher and kids are 12 and 9 so Easter it is. Thoughts on the Epic location that is likely best end of March for us? Thinking Okemo (we didn’t get to experience much last time), Mt Snow, or Stowe. Stowe is not ideal because of the distance from us but not out of the question if conditions would be that much

What we can ski: Kids are comfortable on the Okemo blues but are still working to parallel. Wife and I can do the blacks there and we’re comfortable on blues at Keystone last year. She skids a bit more and I’ve finally started to get a better carve (my tracks are showing great improvement). We enjoy and stick to groomers but are far from advanced west coast skiers.

Thanks for the opinions!

4aprice

Out on the slopes
Skier
Many times late season in New England is the best part of the season. Even with the slow start I have the feeling that could be true this year. With Easter early this year it could really be a bonus for the areas. Any of the Epic Mountains should be in full operation at that time. Stowe is classic and awesome in the spring, but if you were at Okemo over Christmas and it wasn't fully open then a return visit with it up and cranking would not disappoint. Mt Snow should be fine as well but probably the busiest of the 3.

TS
V

vtmecheng

Putting on skis
Skier
I’ve also read that Okemo has a better ski school for kids. We may think about getting them some lessons.

Tony S

I have a confusion to make ...
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
That being our first time in the NE

We went to Okemo over Christmas week but the conditions were poor.

If it was your first time in the NE, how do you know conditions were poor? Maybe at Easter conditions will be only slightly less poor. Snow is no respecter of religious holidays.

Generally we have decent skiing on February 9th between 10:00 and 11:23am. Before or after that it's probably better to invest your ten hours of travel in a flight to Utah.

Ogg

Skiing the powder
Skier
If it was your first time in the NE, how do you know conditions were poor? Maybe at Easter conditions will be only slightly less poor. Snow is no respecter of religious holidays.

Generally we have decent skiing on February 9th between 10:00 and 11:23am. Before or after that it's probably better to invest your ten hours of travel in a flight to Utah.
I second this. March 31 I'd expect spring glop, refrozen spring glop or mud in recent years. There's also a better than average chance of non frozen precipitation. I would not travel 10 hours to ski NE unless I had some other reason to be there(friends, family, bucket list destination, etc.)

TS
V

vtmecheng

Putting on skis
Skier
The week after Christmas was bad conditions. We were there with friends who have skied Okemo at that time for a few years. We got there to well above average temps and rain. It wasn’t until the last day that it got cold enough to make snow. Locals we spoke with also said it was worse than normal. We are hoping that March 31st there will still be some left from February. Figure we can always cancel the AirBnB by the 23rd if things are starting to look bad.

TS
V

vtmecheng

Putting on skis
Skier

Flight to Utah and lodging for 4 is a hell of a lot more expensive than driving to Okemo.

Ogg

Skiing the powder
Skier
Flight to Utah and lodging for 4 is a hell of a lot more expensive than driving to Okemo.
Lodging in VT is significantly more expensive than UT, IME, unless you require ski in/out but flights for 4 plus a rental car will tip the scales. OTOH, you are pretty much guaranteed the experience of a lifetime in UT instead of a crapshoot for decent conditions in VT.

PinnacleJim

Out on the slopes
Skier
March is the best month for NE skiing IMO. Bases are at their maximum, days are long, and March is the month that gets the most snow. Can it rain? Yes. Can you get a 2 foot dump of light powder? Yes. But that's the chances you take in a sport that's dependent on the weather.

TS
V

vtmecheng

Putting on skis
Skier
Lodging in VT is significantly more expensive than UT, IME, unless you require ski in/out but flights for 4 plus a rental car will tip the scales. OTOH, you are pretty much guaranteed the experience of a lifetime in UT instead of a crapshoot for decent conditions in VT.
We want to do this with the kids in a few years, after we have saved up and they are better skiers. Going to take a lot of savings for an engineer and teacher.

On conditions, we normally ski at Seven Springs PA. Almost all of our time is also Sunday afternoons so the crowds are gone. That means ice and scraped out runs. If we say conditions are bad somewhere, they are definitely bad. Haha. I make sure to keep our skis sharp so it’s still fun. Best is to ski during the Super Bowl; they run lifts for us alone that afternoon.

Reactions: Ogg
TS
V

vtmecheng

Putting on skis
Skier
March is the best month for NE skiing IMO. Bases are at their maximum, days are long, and March is the month that gets the most snow. Can it rain? Yes. Can you get a 2 foot dump of light powder? Yes. But that's the chances you take in a sport that's dependent on the weather.
Any thoughts on if we should go Okemo or if Stowe is really worth the extra 1.25 hours?

PinnacleJim

Out on the slopes
Skier
Any thoughts on if we should go Okemo or if Stowe is really worth the extra 1.25 hours?
Sounds like you are coming from PA. Probably not a big difference in time to any VT resort. Okemo and Stowe are very different places. Stowe is noted for its advanced and expert terrain, Okemo for its groomers. Lodging at Okemo will be less expensive. Do you have an Epic pass as both are on that? Other choices that are on the Ikon pass are Killington/Pico, Sugarbush, and Stratton. If you don't have one of those passes, your choices are wide open.

BC.

NEPA ShopRat/Skier
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter

UT?…have u read the UT thread lately/ the past 3 years?/ that place is described as living in hell….lol.

According to our local members that post their observations/….The only place that I would recommend these days is Monarch…lol. @nay and his family bring the heat….

Everywhere else sucks….well, except Mt. Rose…lol.

Reactions: nay

Tony S

Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
UT?…have u read the UT thread lately/ the past 3 years?/ that place is described as living in hell….lol.
Right. But there is snow.

KingGrump

Most Interesting Man In The World
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
have u read the UT thread lately/ the past 3 years?/ that place is described as living in hell

Not if you are staying on top of the hill.

Everywhere else sucks….well, except Mt. Rose…lol.

I guessed you fell for the locals crying wolf to keep the tourist away.

Tony S

Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
If it was your first time in the NE, how do you know conditions were poor?

The week after Christmas was bad conditions. We were there with friends who have skied Okemo at that time for a few years. We got there to well above average temps and rain. It wasn’t until the last day that it got cold enough to make snow. Locals we spoke with also said it was worse than normal. We are hoping that March 31st there will still be some left from February. Figure we can always cancel the AirBnB by the 23rd if things are starting to look bad.

Right. I was pulling your chain en route to making fun of our local conditions. Between late March and Christmas, March is definitely a better bet.

Still, there is an element of truth hidden in my snark: All talk about "above average temps" and "worse than normal" has an assumed baseline behind it that may now be wrong and misleading.

TS
V

vtmecheng

Putting on skis
Skier
Right. I was pulling your chain en route to making fun of our local conditions. Between late March and Christmas, March is definitely a better bet.

Still, there is an element of truth hidden in my snark: All talk about "above average temps" and "worse than normal" has an assumed baseline behind it that may now be wrong and misleading.
Our last day at Okemo over Christmas, when there was finally some coverage, many were complaining about the ice. We laughed and felt right at home.

I’m wondering if Stowe will have a better chance of coverage late March because of the extra distance north.

DebbieSue

Out on the slopes
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Okemo is more family oriented, a less expensive destination as far as lodging restaurants etc etc , and closer. Go there. Just because Stowe is further north does not mean conditions will be better. They are not famous for snowmaking or grooming. Best odds for fun late season conditions are at Killington, but that is Ikon not Epic. Stowe does have some fine resorts for families and non-downhill activities, but they are typically high $$$.
Unfortunately, Christmas and Easter/late March are really quite iffy anywhere in New England. In New England, no dates are guaranteed good skiing. Feb is pretty good, but we have a school vacation 3rd/4th week making places crowded.
Learning in New England will make your family better skiers, and more appreciative of the sunshine and snow out west when you eventually get there!

BC.

NEPA ShopRat/Skier
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Not if you are staying on top of the hill.

I guessed you fell for the locals crying wolf to keep the tourist away.
Yep….always. It’s why I’m broke/ but happy.

Never……lol. I am always amused by reading “how bad it is”….in UT.

Sponsor

Staff online