• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Upper body armor for slalom racing: Dainese or POC gear?

breck

Getting on the lift
Skier
All,
I am gearing up for my next year of training/masters SL racing, telemark if it matters, and would like some shoulder/spine protection.

I have raced/trained in the past few years and have wiped out pretty well, cracked my helmet, broken bindings and broke (avulsed) my shoulder. At 59 I'd like to add some more protections. I have shin guards, knee pads, face guard, pole covers.

I am liking POC as a brand, they seem to be making a serious effort in the ski/mountain bike protection world--got a spin SL helmet and cut-resistant underwear from them.

This is what I am thinking:

20331-9002_1_1200x.png

Dainese has a downright sexy lil' number:

rhyolite-2-safety-jacket.jpg

That is about it so far, many options if the spine protector is done independently of the shoulder/elbow.

Any feedback?

thanks

Breck

DocGKR

Stuck at work...
Skier
As discussed previously, each ski race event requires specific protective equipment: https://www.skitalk.com/threads/race-protective-equipment.27152/#post-739107

Generally for SL using single break away poles, the most important additional protection items are a face bar on the helmet, hand guards on the poles, and shin guards--a back protector does not hurt either.

GS & PGS, as well as SG using panel gates beats me up much more than SL; I find back, shoulder, upper arm, fore-arm, knuckle, hip-thigh, and knee padding can be useful.

TS
breck

breck

Getting on the lift
Skier
As discussed previously, each ski race event requires specific protective equipment: https://www.skitalk.com/threads/race-protective-equipment.27152/#post-739107

Generally for SL using single break away poles, the most important additional protection items are a face bar on the helmet, hand guards on the poles, and shin guards--a back protector does not hurt either.

GS & PGS, as well as SG using panel gates beats me up much more than SL; I find back, shoulder, upper arm, fore-arm, knuckle, hip-thigh, and knee padding can be useful.
I have the standard SL gear, I am also concerned with falling hard on the course or doing drills or being taken out by an out-of-control skier/rider when off course. East coast trails can be very hard on a regular basis.

For those with similar desires I found the motherlode of protective gear--a good place for comparison:

Mountain bike gear has a substantial cross-over to ski race/safety gear. POC and Dainese cross list the above jackets.

DocGKR

Stuck at work...
Skier
Absolutely! At the end of the race season in Spring 2021, I was still in my GS gear/padding watching near the start of the Juniors course when an out of control skier smashed into me. I was hit so hard, the bindings sheared off the skis (probably saving my knee). The back padding, helmet, and arm/thigh padding likely saved me from more significant injury. Since then, I have taken to always using a back protector, even when recreational skiing...

Rod9301

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Dainese makes great stuff, i have an older back protector for downhill mountain biking.

And they ve been at this a long time, making motorcycle stuff

slow-line-fast

Out on the slopes
Inactive
I have poc stealth with arm protection, it’s good. Separate back protector.

Important to be able to exchange sizes if needed. Be sure that the shoulders are not too wide, or the top bit of your shoulders will not be covered. Gates very quickly find their way into every little gap in the armor.

Paul Lutes

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Free heel, hmmmm? Good on ya!

Would love to hear you evaluation of final protective gear choice, as well as what's on your feet (skis/bindings/boots). The window for gate bashing has closed for me, but I've gotten my 4th wind at the ripe old age of 70 and have really enjoyed experiencing the pleasures of competition gear.

TS
breck

breck

Getting on the lift
Skier
Free heel, hmmmm? Good on ya!

Would love to hear you evaluation of final protective gear choice, as well as what's on your feet (skis/bindings/boots). The window for gate bashing has closed for me, but I've gotten my 4th wind at the ripe old age of 70 and have really enjoyed experiencing the pleasures of competition gear.
Doing SL telemark is a blast. I get a lot of "bear on unicycle" respect, not that I am good, but that it can be done at all. I really don't like GS on tele even though that is the competitive format for tele racing (has a few extras thrown in a GS race).

Gear is:

Boots: Crispi World Cups: https://aspinockwoods.com/shop/ols/products/crispi-world-cup. Note that I use cork alpine race liners which make a big difference from intuition foam liners. You will likely drop a size in shell and have cold feet all the time.

Bindings: https://aspinockwoods.com/shop/ols/products/22-design-outlaw-x
But maybe trying: https://aspinockwoods.com/shop/ols/products/meidjo-3-2021

Skis: Blizzard old stock FIS RD SL men's skis. Looking for another pair of FIS SLs currently. Stockli is the only one without a plate installed but pricey.

Right now I am inclined to go with the POC option above. Going to probably get the hip protection as well: https://na.pocsports.com/products/hip-vpd-2-0-shorts?variant=35505845633190

This stuff is expensive but way cheaper than the emergency room and recovery. I also mountain bike a bit so that really calls for pads if you are doing anything challenging.

Last edited:
TS
breck

breck

Getting on the lift
Skier
Absolutely! At the end of the race season in Spring 2021, I was still in my GS gear/padding watching near the start of the Juniors course when an out of control skier smashed into me. I was hit so hard, the bindings sheared off the skis (probably saving my knee). The back padding, helmet, and arm/thigh padding likely saved me from more significant injury. Since then, I have taken to always using a back protector, even when recreational skiing...
It is getting scary out there from rec skiers on intermediate drill runs and standing on the side of the trail getting coached. Maybe always has been scary and I am just now noticing. East coast, high density and if you hit the snow it is likely to be solid hard pack.

I broke my shoulder doing drills on an intermediate run that was glare ice top to bottom. I should have armored up years ago--I just didn't know about the gear which is part of why I am sharing what I am finding here.

slow-line-fast

Out on the slopes
Inactive
Doing SL telemark is a blast. I get a lot of "bear on unicycle" respect, not that I am good, but that it can be done at all. I really don't like GS on tele even though that is the competitive format for tele racing (has a few extras thrown in a GS race).

Gear is:

Boots: Crispi World Cups: https://aspinockwoods.com/shop/ols/products/crispi-world-cup. Note that I use cork alpine race liners which make a big difference from intuition foam liners. You will likely drop a size in shell and have cold feet all the time.

Bindings: https://aspinockwoods.com/shop/ols/products/22-design-outlaw-x
But maybe trying: https://aspinockwoods.com/shop/ols/products/meidjo-3-2021

Skis: Blizzard old stock FIS RD SL men's skis. Looking for another pair of FIS SLs currently. Stockli is the only one without a plate installed but pricey.

Right now I am inclined to go with the POC option above. Going to probably get the hip protection as well: https://na.pocsports.com/products/hip-vpd-2-0-shorts?variant=35505845633190

This stuff is expensive but way cheaper than the emergency room and recovery. I also mountain bike a bit so that really calls for pads if you are doing anything challenging.
Very cool. Any video of tele SL? (In general). Never seen that.

DocGKR

Stuck at work...
Skier
You can also just get a GS suit with all the protection built in....

TS
breck

breck

Getting on the lift
Skier
You can also just get a GS suit with all the protection built in....

Do speed suits make a difference in SL? I am 12 seconds off of the fastest in my class (65 vs 53 seconds) on my one race last time out. My competition are all in speed suits, I am not sure I can handle the revealing nature.

Last edited:

Paul Lutes

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Ok, this is embarrassing but here you go. Slow, loopy, ..

But there is plenty of time to switch leads given how slow I am. But fun and very difficult for me.
'Spect!
Probably twice as fast as me, if I could even get up the courage. That's a lot of torque on your lower spine.
I've been on Rotte Freerides forever, but will be trying some Outlaws on some new skis this winter as I'm on mph last pair of red cartridges. The Stockli FIS SLs are really sweet - well worth the investment if you can afford it. My feet didn't match up well with the Crispis, much better fit with Scarpa TX Comp. For the moment, Intuition HD Race are good, but I'm intrigued by your cork liners - stiffer/firmer I presume?

DocGKR

Stuck at work...
Skier
At elite WC levels a speed suit may help SL, but likely not for Masters, at least until one gets to GS and SG speeds.

However, a speed suit does have all the padding in the right spots; if desired you can use it as a base layer and then put a thin jacket or vest over the top and pants or training shorts over bottom to be less "revealing", as well as warmer....

slow-line-fast

Out on the slopes
Inactive
Ok, this is embarrassing but here you go. Slow, loopy, ..

But there is plenty of time to switch leads given how slow I am. But fun and very difficult for me.
Nice!

At a minute of SL, a speed suit might knock of some tenths up to a second or so. As Doc says it can anyway be worth thinking about for the padding you are looking for, even if you would wear layers on top.

I presume your competition is all fixed-heel?

The bigger difference for time would be line. Which is a bunch of technique and tactics. And also some choices as a responsible adult ;). If you get the chance, try training with brushes. Tighten up so you hit the brush with your trailing shin. Minimal risk. Then work into gates

TS
breck

breck

Getting on the lift
Skier
'Spect!
Probably twice as fast as me, if I could even get up the courage. That's a lot of torque on your lower spine.
I've been on Rotte Freerides forever, but will be trying some Outlaws on some new skis this winter as I'm on mph last pair of red cartridges. The Stockli FIS SLs are really sweet - well worth the investment if you can afford it. My feet didn't match up well with the Crispis, much better fit with Scarpa TX Comp. For the moment, Intuition HD Race are good, but I'm intrigued by your cork liners - stiffer/firmer I presume?
The cork liners, either Lange or Nordica race replacement liners--looks like the same manufacturer for both, just different branding like Swix/Toyko... ski vises. Racestock in Waterbury VT have them. They are thin and I think they stiffen the boot over foam intuition. The intuition race probably are probably very similar since they are doing the same thing.

TS
breck

breck

Getting on the lift
Skier
Nice!

At a minute of SL, a speed suit might knock of some tenths up to a second or so. As Doc says it can anyway be worth thinking about for the padding you are looking for, even if you would wear layers on top.

I presume your competition is all fixed-heel?

The bigger difference for time would be line. Which is a bunch of technique and tactics. And also some choices as a responsible adult ;). If you get the chance, try training with brushes. Tighten up so you hit the brush with your trailing shin. Minimal risk. Then work into gates
I am the only tele person so far. Suprised they let me race but everyone has been super nice about it from coaches on down.

I do brushes. stubbies, regular drills etc... One issue was skis, I was on pretty blown-out women's FIS SLs for that video that made edge hold an issue. The Blizzards make it much easier to attack but I have much to learn to get comfortable with gates.

TS
breck

breck

Getting on the lift
Skier
At elite WC levels a speed suit may help SL, but likely not for Masters, at least until one gets to GS and SG speeds.

However, a speed suit does have all the padding in the right spots; if desired you can use it as a base layer and then put a thin jacket or vest over the top and pants or training shorts over bottom to be less "revealing", as well as warmer....
I figured it didn't much matter.

The armor is for training/free skiing as much as racing so I'll just go ahead and break the bank on the padded jacket and shorts.

thanks everyone for the feedback.

Sponsor

Staff online