• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Today in History

Uncle-A

In the words of Paul Simon "You can call me Al"
Skier
I'm assuming you grew up on the west coast, on the east coast we were already home from school at that point
I was still in class when they announced it over the PA System in my NJ school.

noncrazycanuck

Out on the slopes
Skier
We all went home after it was announced in Vancouver.
Watched lot of TV coverage afterward, recall seeing L.H.O shot live. I would have been 10.
But not as scary as being told how you needed to duck and cover. Knew where all the best ditches were between school and home.

johnnyvw

Out on the slopes
Skier
I was still in class when they announced it over the PA System in my NJ school.
That's interesting. I clearly remember I had just gotten home from school. My mother was watching the event on TV and she started screaming "they shot the president" over and over. My classmate next door and I both came running over to each other's houses at the same time...we met in between our houses and we were both freaking out. Very vivid memory. I grew up in Montclair NJ, maybe we had different hours

Uncle-A

Skier
That's interesting. I clearly remember I had just gotten home from school. My mother was watching the event on TV and she started screaming "they shot the president" over and over. My classmate next door and I both came running over to each other's houses at the same time...we met in between our houses and we were both freaking out. Very vivid memory. I grew up in Montclair NJ, maybe we had different hours
Different school hours is definitely the answer, and IIRC it was the last period of the day when it was announced.

DesmoDog

Getting off the lift
Skier
Seven years ago today I lost the best damn dog I ever had. RIP Sophia. Cancer sucks.

IMG_0037%20copy.JPG

neonorchid

Making fresh tracks
Skier
From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

The Emancipation Proclamation, officially Proclamation 95,[2][3] was a presidential proclamation and executive order issued by United States President Abraham Lincolnon January 1, 1863, during the American Civil War. The Proclamation had the effect of changing the legal status of more than 3.5 million enslaved African Americans in the secessionist Confederate states from enslaved to free. As soon as slaves escaped the control of their enslavers, either by fleeing to Union lines or through the advance of federal troops, they were permanently free. In addition, the Proclamation allowed for former slaves to "be received into the armed service of the United States". The Emancipation Proclamation was a significant part of the end of slavery in the United States.

TS
Philpug

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
2013 Epicski announced that Vail/Mountain New Corp purchased them. After the Huddler move, this was rhe second big blow it Epic's demise.

Uncle-A

Skier
Sorry I missed this yesterday but, 3 February 1959 AKA The Day the Music Died. If you know you know.

James

Out There
Instructor
60 years ago today
19 yrs after the end of WW2
The Beatles arrive at JFK, which a year earlier was called Idlewild Airport.

Uncle-A

Skier
8 February 1974
The iconic night club The Stone Poney in Asbury Park, NJ opened it's doors for the first time. Anyone familiar with Bruce Springsteen or John Bon Jovi will know this venue that helped launch their careers. Happy 50th Anniversary.

Andy Mink

Everyone loves spring skiing but not in January
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
On this day 113 years ago, John Moses Browing received the patent for the iconic 1911 pistol. Used as the U.S. military sidearm for more than 70 years, the 1911 platform continues to be popular for competition shooting, self defense, and recreational target shooting. Over the years it has been chambered in over 30 cartridges (that i can find) plus an unknown number of wildcat cartridges.

Bad Bob

I golf worse than I ski.
Skier
An interesting coincidence.

1836 siege of The Alamo began.
1945 flag raised over Mount Suribachi on Iwo Jima.

We are not a very peaceful lot.

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
This was missed a few days ago, but pretty cool to the ski racing world.
The Mahre brothers took gold and silver medals in the olympics 40 years ago.

Sponsor