• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Tip flip: fixable?

Beartown

Chasing the dragon
Skier
At snowbird today, in the woods, hit an ice patch and ski went head on into a rock wall, no glancing off, just straight in. I honestly thought my ski was going to break in half. Luckily, I released and slid off to the side and was fine. When I got home, I noticed this:
IMG_6076.JPG
IMG_6077.JPG

Is this a fixable thing? I'm hoping so, as this is day #3 on these skis. Any advice would be greatly appreciated!!

jack97

Out on the slopes
Skier
No ideal how much it will cost to fix but that's impressive!! And count your blessing that was the only damage done.

Uncle-A

In the words of Paul Simon "You can call me Al"
Skier
I would make sure it was dry inside and try to hammer it back in shape using a gentle touch. Once it is back in shape use some type of adhesive to seal it and clamp till the adhesive sets up.

pchewn

Skiing the powder
Skier
Do as @Uncle-A says. The key thing is to prevent further damage (e.g Top skin delam from rest of ski). That part of the ski usually has minimal stress/strain and is not critical to the turning of the ski. Just keep away from rock or brick walls and you should be good.

pete

not peace but 2 Beers!
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Can always ping the oem, being new maybe they'd take pity on you.

being on very tip is consider heat too with any physical rework to minimize risk of stress cracking

François Pugh

Skiing the powder
Skier
Great White North (Eastern side currently)
A few pair of vise grips and some good epoxy should fix that right up.
If you want an excuse to buy new skis, you'll have to do better than that.

I recall loaning a pair of skis to a friend. He skied into a rock face and broke them in half at the bindings (which were the old non-releasable type (aka bear trap bindings).

James

Out There
Instructor
Since it's new, try to get one ski new. It's worth a shot.

crgildart

Gravity Slave
Skier
Mike has the solution. That far up the tip should't be a problem if you can prevent it from spreading farther down. Might also drill and put a rivet through it to hold it nice and snug after the glue dries..

DanoT

RVer-Skier
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Sun Peaks B.C. in winter, Victoria B.C. in summer
Since it's new, try to get one ski new. It's worth a shot.

Pretty much zero chance that the ski distributor will offer a warranty on a ski that was skied into a rock wall but it is possible they might sell a single ski at wholesale if they have extra skis in stock.

TS
Beartown

Beartown

Chasing the dragon
Skier
Thanks for all the ideas guys! I'm still on vacation, so it'll be a few days before I get to it. Demoing skis in the mean time and having a blast. Headed to Revelstoke/Kicking Horse in a week, so I'll have to get cracking as soon as I get home!

focker

Out on the slopes
Skier
Honestly, the best solution is to snip the metal edge off instead of trying to bend it back. Then use slow sat epoxy, etc.

I'd try to bend it back first. Maybe using a pliers (if it will bend easily) or hammering it with the ski tip resting on a wood block or support. Then clamp and glue it.

oldschoolskier

Making fresh tracks
Skier
I'd try to bend it back first. Maybe using a pliers (if it will bend easily) or hammering it with the ski tip resting on a wood block or support. Then clamp and glue it.
Not pliers too much localized stress, use a vise carefully, there are some epoxies for ski manufacturing (forget the source) use those. If the tip is a little thicker don’t worry about it.

Only consider removing he metal if that doesn’t bend back.

Uncle-A

In the words of Paul Simon "You can call me Al"
Skier
Honestly, the best solution is to snip the metal edge off instead of trying to bend it back. Then use slow sat epoxy, etc.
If you cut it you may give up some of the edge retaining power of the remaining edge. If by chance you catch the cut edge it could pull the entire edge off the ski.

crgildart

Gravity Slave
Skier
Looking at how far up this damage is... I highly doubt that anything above the split is critical or even useful to the ski utility. I'd even consider carefully trimming the damaged area completely OFF the tip of the ski and do the same to the other ski.. sand them both down and add a layer of epoxy around the trimmed area and make them blunt tips instead of rounded tips. There is even a break in the edge where you could cut them if I'm seeing this correctly..
img_6077-jpg.39550

Sponsor

Staff online