• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Arizona/New Mexico Taos Ski Resort Closed Indefinitely.

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
Due to water distribution outage, Taos has not been able to open since 4/2/23.

April 2, 2023 8:30 am
An unfortunate private residence water service line leak, and then a second leak, have depleted the Village’s water system storage tanks. Water is available from the Phoenix Spring but is not able to pressurize the lines to the residences and now to the Village Core.

Public Works Crews continue to work non-stop to identify and isolate certain areas where excess water is being drained.
There is no identified timeline for correction of these problems at the moment.

Taos Ski Valley was incorporated as a village in 1996, New Mexico’s 100th municipality. While the last official census put our human population at 69 inhabitants, we share our valley with a much larger population of deer, elk, bear, and bighorn sheep.

Check out their site for updates:

TS
Philpug

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
I had to check the date too.

FlyingAce

Out on the slopes
Skier
There was nothing about the resort being closed when I drove up on Sunday (4/2). They stationed someone on the road to stop cars as you start the drive up to the ski valley. I almost didn’t see her as she ran out to the middle of the road to stop me! They later put a sign out . B4E2D898-C844-4178-900E-703FA9F38F6D.jpeg

Prosper

This is the way.
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Me and my 13yo were thinking of going to Taos this past weekend for a quick ski getaway. After hearing this news I’m really glad we didn’t. We would’ve been pretty bummed out to drive 5+ hrs each way to only ski 1 day. I hope they get it fixed soon.

KingGrump

Most Interesting Man In The World
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
I hope they get it fixed soon.

It's not a quick fix.
The municipal water system had been an issue for many years. Earlier this season, A major leak emptied out one of the water tank on upper Twinning Road. The Phenix base was closed for lack of water. Many residences around that area of the ski valley were without water early season also.

Currently, there is a joint project between the Ski Co and the Village utilizing a $1.7 million NM state budget allocation to upgrade the water infrastructure in the valley. The construction work was scheduled to start on 4/10/2023. Right after the scheduled resort closing on 4/9/2023. Well, s** happens.

The good news regarding this water project is the project is being managed by the Ski Co rather than the Village.

KingGrump

Most Interesting Man In The World
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
You obviously haven't been to NYC. Oh wait, I temporarily forgot you're from there :)

When people ask me what NYC is like. My standard reply is it can be the best of your wet dream or the worst of your nightmare. I guess you confronted the darker side on your visit.

Wasatchman

over the hill
Skier
When people ask me what NYC is like. My standard reply is it can be the best of your wet dream or the worst of your nightmare. I guess you confronted the darker side on your visit.
Visit??!! I lived there for quite a while before moving back home.....

scvaughn

Seeking altitude...
Skier
There was nothing about the resort being closed when I drove up on Sunday (4/2). They stationed someone on the road to stop cars as you start the drive up to the ski valley. I almost didn’t see her as she ran out to the middle of the road to stop me! They later put a sign out . View attachment 199375
The sign in your photo, and the TSV employee turning visit away, were the first indicators that anything was wrong on 04_02. If they reopen before 04_09, great, but if they don't, I've had a phenomenally good season.

Sponsor