• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Steelers!

scott43

So much better than a pro
Skier
I’m really starting to wonder who’s making the decisions for the Steelers. They use a #1 on Pickett in a light QB draft and declare him the QB of the future. They choose to play him right away because they have no one for him to sit behind and learn, plus couple him with an Offensive Coordinator who ran an offensive equivalent to a bad high school team, in terms of efficiency and predictability. So, after a short period in which they get him zero help, they give away the QB of the future and sign someone else’s QB of the past.

If this doesn’t paint a picture of desperation for the Steelers and Tomlin, I’m not sure what does. If Russell Wilson isn’t fantastic and I’ll be shocked if he is based on the last 2 years, I’m thinking Tomlin’s seat just got a lot hotter.
I mean, Tomlin can only work with what he has.. but yeah, easier to fire the coach.

crgildart

Gravity Slave
Skier
200w.gif

scott43

Skier
I was reading a thing about hockey. Eight NHL coaches have been fired this year and all eight had very poor goaltending stats. Coach can't play goalie and while poor goalie stats can reflect poor team play, I don't buy that 100%.

Laurel Hill Crazie

AKA Rob Davis
Skier
I heard some XM radio folks speculating that it will be an open competition for the starting job. Their theory is that the Steelers want Pickett to be the starter, but want Wilson (since they could get him cheap) to challenge him. I guess we'll find out, at least when training camp rolls around if not sooner.
The only thing I can think of is the Steelers are looking to the draft for Wiilson's competition.

Coach13

Making fresh tracks
Skier
I mean, Tomlin can only work with what he has.. but yeah, easier to fire the coach.
It has to be him wanting Wilson and granted it’s at a great price, but wtf? This points to win now desperation, but he’s been awful for 2 years. If he was certain to be an upgrade and they would have gotten draft equity from Pickett, so be it. They got for him about what Washington got for Howell who was a late round pick.

Laurel Hill Crazie

AKA Rob Davis
Skier
It's been reported that the trade came at Kenny's behest. That fits Tomlin's stated position, he wants volunteers, not hostages. I think Kenny is being rash. Wilson can only be A short-term Steeler even if he wins a SB with them next season. As for the win-now mode, the Steelers are always in a win-now mode. They just haven't been good enough to follow through.

dbostedo

Asst. Gathermeister
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
Wow... what an interesting experiment!! (And it only cost a 2025 6th round pick for Fields.)

1710641445995.png

Coach13

Making fresh tracks
Skier
I agree but only with that part that it cost them pennies The only way this makes even remote sense is if they turn around now now and draft a viable QB for the future. Your ideal QB situation is to have a solid starter and a franchise QB In wailing. This isn’t close to that situation. Wilson hasn’t been good for the last 3-4 years and Fields would make a great 3rd down back.

wiread

Out on the slopes
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
I didn’t say they had an excellent qb room, but it is loads better than the one they had last year. And it cost them basically nothing in the NFL

scott43

Skier
Unless they believe in Fields. Or at least think he has a chance. He was highly regarded by some teams in the draft (though I'm not sold).
Someone last week was saying go get Fields, he's basically free and was on a very bad Bears team. He was sacked nine times in one game. If you don't have a high first round pick, what are you going to do?

Last edited:

dbostedo

Asst. Gathermeister
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
Someone last week was saying go get Fields, he's basically free and was on a very bad Bears team. He was sacked nine times in one game. If you don't have a high guest round pick, what are you going to do?
I'm not at all saying they shouldn't have gotten him. It cost very little. I'm just saying I'm not sold that he's a long term answer at QB - but it's worth checking. The Steelers may or may not be sold.

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
I think Russell is pissed off, has a chip on his shoulder and something to prove. I like that in a quarterback, now, lets see how long ti will last and how long the Stillers can ride ride it out.

Sponsor

Staff online