• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Solo Ski Trip for a High School Student?

Status
Not open for further replies.

grnmtgrl

Booting up
Skier
Hello everyone -

I asked this same question over at TGR but I think the crowd over here will be a little different, so I'm reaching out again.

This winter, I will have the opportunity to go out to Whitefish, MT and ski with my father for the first time out of state in a few years (at home we ski together often). We're planning on skiing roughly 3 days, and then he will head out to go somewhere else with a friend. This leaves me either flying home on a plane after the 3 days, or continuing to ski solo until we both fly home together.

I wanted to know if going alone was even an option (and maybe there are other kids who have done it?). I am pretty independent and have a lot of experience skiing around the east coast. I have been around the deep powder of Wolf Creek and Purgatory, so I do have some west coast experience as well. I understand the concern for safety, but I would really like to explore somewhere new on my own itinerary. Maybe compromises could be made so this could work out (i.e. daily communication, no-go places, etc). I couldn't rent a car so I would essentially spend the whole time at Whitefish.

I've grown up in the east, spending most of my skiing life in Vermont. My western ski experience has been at Wolf Creek (CO), spending 90% of my time over at the Alberta Lift. I love to ski glades, and am fully aware of the danger of tree wells. I would probably avoid all the wooded areas until I found others to go with.

Concerned parents and/or adults, now is your chance! Convince me to ditch this fool-hardy plan!

Adventure-loving twenty-to-sixtysomethings, now is your chance! Convince me this should be a check off a bucket list!

Thank you all!

coskigirl

Skiing the powder
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
First, I love your adventurous spirit! This will take you to unimaginable places in life whether that be now or later. I travel alone a lot now and I give a lot of that to the adventures I experienced as a kid.

A couple of questions for you. How old exactly? A 14 year old freshman is quite different than a 16 or 18 year old. Would you be staying in a hotel or Airbnb or? Do you ski alone at home?

TS
G

grnmtgrl

Booting up
Skier
First, I love your adventurous spirit! This will take you to unimaginable places in life whether that be now or later. I travel alone a lot now and I give a lot of that to the adventures I experienced as a kid.

A couple of questions for you. How old exactly? A 14 year old freshman is quite different than a 16 or 18 year old. Would you be staying in a hotel or Airbnb or? Do you ski alone at home?

Almost forgot! I am 17, and would be staying in a hotel. A lot of my time spent skiing is alone as well.

coskigirl

Skiing the powder
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
I know very little about you overall but it sounds like you're the type that could handle this. Heck, some kids go off to college at 17. You might run into an issue with a hotel that doesn't want a minor staying without an adult with them. I do agree that if you're skiing alone, stay out of the trees. That's a good idea for anybody but especially in this situation. It could be days before anyone reported you missing.

crgildart

Gravity Slave
Skier
My folks were fine with me traveling around with friends out of state for a weekend here and there at age 17. I know it's dated and frowned on but I'd be more OK with my son traveling small town America alone or with friends at age 17 than I would be with my daughter doing the exact same at age 17. That said, a few days in Whitefish, set up by a trusted adult I think I'd be OK with my daughter doing that... But, I'd be checking in with her several times a day for sure hahahaha..

epicentre

Putting on skis
Skier
I saw your thread over at TGR but don't have an account there. At 17 you're basically an adult. I was out of the house and living on my own at 16 so.. Personally I don't see any issue whatsoever. Come to WF and have some fun. Since you won't have a car, the free Snowbus will take you to and from the mountain. In-bounds resort skiing here is very safe, exception: treewells. And the town itself is super safe. You won't be hitting the bars so you might get bored in the evenings. But this is a real town with real families so I'm sure you will find folks to hang out with and show you around the mountain. LMK if you have any questions about the town or mountain.

KevinF

Gathermeister-New England
Team Gathermeister
My thoughts on the subject:
Anybody who seeks on multiple sources for information (TGR and here) is already ahead of most of the population.
We're looking at a teenager who can write more coherently than most adults I know.

My only question would be how you intend to pay for things when you're on your own? Will you have enough cash to cover meals, or would you be borrowing your Dad's credit card for a few days? I don't know what the reaction is from cashiers if an unsupervised minor hands over a credit card.

Calling home at the end of the day and / or having a list of emergency numbers (i.e., airport, ski patrol...) seems like reasonable precautions.

Sibhusky

Whitefish, MT
Skier
When are you coming?

The reason I ask is, it's getting longer and longer each year before I'm good company. But normally I ski five days a week, so I'll be around.

Also, @Fuller and his wife are here for six weeks every year, so if you're here mid-January through February, they will be around as well.

I'm a female with close to half a century on you, which may not be what you're seeking, but it would make dad happy.

Last edited:

coskigirl

Skiing the powder
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
My thoughts on the subject:
Anybody who seeks on multiple sources for information (TGR and here) is already ahead of most of the population.
We're looking at a teenager who can write more coherently than most adults I know.

My only question would be how you intend to pay for things when you're on your own? Will you have enough cash to cover meals, or would you be borrowing your Dad's credit card for a few days? I don't know what the reaction is from cashiers if an unsupervised minor hands over a credit card.

Calling home at the end of the day and / or having a list of emergency numbers (i.e., airport, ski patrol...) seems like reasonable precautions.

Re: bolded statement, that's the truth for sure!

Regarding the credit card thing, I'm pretty sure Visa debit cards are pretty standard for teenagers to have in their own name.

jmeb

Enjoys skiing.
Skier
One day I'll write up more thoughts on PugSki vs TGR. Both pugs and mags have their value; but they are very different beasts.

Jully

Putting on skis
Skier
Adventure-loving twenty-to-sixtysomethings, now is your chance! Convince me this should be a check off a bucket list!

Re: bolded statement, that's the truth for sure!

Clearly you have your sh*t together. Maturity and independence, when it comes to people aged 16-25 is really pretty flexible, IMO. There are 17 year olds who are just as/nearly as capable as 25 year olds (minus things like credit cards, being able to drink legally, and being able to rent a car). I also had many friends and acquaintances at 25 who were about as independent as a senior in high school.

With your dad there the first few days too, you'll already have a decent feel for the place (relatively speaking) and you'll already be there. Seems like a definite go for it from my perspective!

When I was a freshman in college I did a few solo 3-5 ski trips (though all driving) and it worked out completely fine and I highly recommend it. As long as you have a plan, it is a great way to build confidence in yourself as a functioning adult too.

jmeb

Enjoys skiing.
Skier
So the "grl" part of your username is a bit obvious. But do you happen to ski for the Green Mtn school? Because if so...that'd tell a lot of would-be partners about your skiing prowess. I've skied with their teamt he last few years early season at Loveland -- and they rip.

TS
G

grnmtgrl

Booting up
Skier
So the "grl" part of your username is a bit obvious. But do you happen to ski for the Green Mtn school? Because if so...that'd tell a lot of would-be partners about your skiing prowess. I've skied with their teamt he last few years early season at Loveland -- and they rip.

I don't go to Green Mtn Valley but yes, those kids (and ones from SMS/Burke) are incredible... I know a few athletes from the Nordic program that have gone to junior nationals, Youth Olympics, etc.

TS
G

grnmtgrl

Booting up
Skier
When are you coming?

The reason I ask is, it's getting longer and longer each year before I'm good company. But normally I ski five days a week, so I'll be around.

Also, @Fuller and his wife are here for six weeks every year, so if you're here mid-January through February, they will be around as well.

I'm a female with close to half a century on you, which may not be what you're seeking, but it would make dad happy.

I would love it! I'll have to DM you more info once the trip is finalized, but it would be sweet! I'm checking out your guide right now, super awesome!

*I just watched the tree well rescue video... oh em gee. So scary.

Last edited:

BGreen

Out on the slopes
Skier
Bridger, Moonlight, Big Sky, lots or other great places to go while you are there. Solo travel is good. Solo backcountry travel is not.

TonyC

Contact me at bestsnow.net
Pass Pulled
You do realize that those places are five to six good hours away? And she can't rent a car due to her age?
Yes, geography. If she needs to see another mountain, I'd recommend Fernie, only 2.5 hours away. She needs a passport for that along with a driver, could be done as a daytrip. I'm a variety junkie, but I think she will be happy staying in Whitefish those extra 3 days. It's a big place and I think the tree skiing is a good fit for a Vermont skier.

I guess I should ask how often Sibhusky ventures across the border. Whitefish is an excellent mountain but I rate both Fernie and Castle higher.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sponsor