• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Solo Ski Trip for a High School Student?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Chris Walker

Ullr Is Lord
Skier
I skied 3 days solo at Breckenridge when I was 15. It was a little different because I was staying with my aunt, but she just dropped me off at the hill and picked me up at the end of the day. I met a few people on the mountain and joined them for a few runs here and there but mostly was just on my own. It was really a great time. As long as you're smart about where you go, you will be fine, especially if there fellow Pugs to show you the ropes.

coskigirl

Skiing the powder
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Yes, geography. If she needs to see another mountain, I'd recommend Fernie, only 2.5 hours away. She needs a passport for that along with a driver, could be done as a daytrip. I'm a variety junkie, but I think she will be happy staying in Whitefish those extra 3 days. It's a big place and I think the tree skiing is a good fit for a Vermont skier.

I guess I should ask how often Sibhusky ventures across the border. Whitefish is an excellent mountain but I rate both Fernie and Castle higher.

She'd also need a letter authorizing it and signed by (both) legal guardian(s) and stating what adult will care for her while in Canada and contact details. They can be real sticklers on these requirements. When I go for business I've been subjected to secondary questioning twice. The first time I didn't have an official letter from my hosting company describing what I was doing but the second time I did. Still got questioned, my company and the hosting company (which my company owns) were researched etc. http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/visit/minors.asp

epicentre

Putting on skis
Skier
All the families I know here with teens just drop them off at the mountain or in town so they can catch the Snowbus. Some are more strict than others in regards to allowing them to ski alone or if they must have a partner. The biggest issue it would seem to me is that she has safe lodging. Plenty of options in town or on the mountain but since she's under 18 she might have problems renting a hotel room. Her dad can do that for her if he so chooses I guess.

Sibhusky

Whitefish, MT
Skier
I guess I should ask how often Sibhusky ventures across the border. Whitefish is an excellent mountain but I rate both Fernie and Castle higher.

I used to plan to, but the reality is that for years all that meant was $$$$ that I didn't have. Lately, it's been a case of no one to do it with and lack of interest on my part. Just the hassle factor alone puts me off. I'm past the age of wanting notches in my belt. The only place I've been toying with is St. Anton, and there's a ton of hassle with that trip.

Sibhusky

Whitefish, MT
Skier
All the families I know here with teens just drop them off at the mountain or in town so they can catch the Snowbus. Some are more strict than others in regards to allowing them to ski alone or if they must have a partner. The biggest issue it would seem to me is that she has safe lodging. Plenty of options in town or on the mountain but since she's under 18 she might have problems renting a hotel room. Her dad can do that for her if he so chooses I guess.

It sounds like he's returning to Whitefish after the three days?

KevinF

Gathermeister-New England
Team Gathermeister
Regarding the potential for visiting other mountains...

I'm not a parent, but I'd be a lot more comfortable with my child being "stuck" at one area for a few days then having them go visit other destinations (none of which are "near"), especially when they're dependent on others for transportation.

Remember that @grnmtgrl is from Vermont and skis primarily at Bolton Valley which is on the mid-tier size in terms of New England areas. Any Western area dwarfs even the big New England areas. I'm pretty sure she'll find more than enough to ski in a couple days at one place.

fatbob

Not responding
Skier
Stay in Whitefish, sure there will be some local teens to rip around with.

I assume Dad won't be going that much further afield though if he's say going cat or heli skiing in Canada for a few days you can probably guilt him into a new pair of Western skis for you ;)

raytseng

Making fresh tracks
Skier
id the plan is that you want to try 2 locations, go with your dad to a location one the first 2 days, then you and your dad get situated in location two on day3 or the day you separate.

As far as being ready for it i think this depends on the person. Have you ever eaten a dinner at a restaurant and spent a night completely alone? not just with no adults but truly alone? You can take a trial run of that yourself and see how it goes.
i suppose in this day and age with a smartphone and wifi that's not really an issue though anymore.

pete

not peace but 2 Beers!
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
besides the local guides you may wish to consider a lesson or two for way to ski with others yet improve and learn mountain.

Too, in terms of money, I've added cards under my credit card for my daughters to use when needed. They pay for their own discretionary spending, I cover agreed "required" parental expenditures and at the same time it (theory wise) starts them on a credit rating score. Been handy for me in that I didn't worry when they traveled that they'd be stuck at a pump without any. Course Debit card works, and more places take stuff like Apple pay, etc.

Agree with avoiding lonesome runs and trees on your own.

Of course, all the standard safety common sense stuff like not advertising your alone but then I wouldn't fret lowly characters to any great degree given destination.

Started at 53

Making fresh tracks
Skier
@grnmtgrl

Sounds like you are on the right track. Dialing back the years, I started solo traveling (weeks at a time and multiple cities via air travel) at the age of 12. Different times, but still a kid traveling alone. It takes a certain kind of "kid" to do it and do it safely. As a parent, I would vet my child by judging their habits. Namely grades, are they/you a great student who is diligent about grades and completing work in a timely manner or a procrastinator? Secondly, has there ever been a poor decision regarding drugs or alcohol? Again, as a parent, if both of these "questions" are passed with flying colors so to speak I would allow my child to go on a trip solo. My take is school and social things mentioned above are good clues about decision making of a teenager/young adult.

My son has traveled the world alone as a late teen up to being a now 21 year old. I zero issue, he just checks in on arrival and we talk daily. My daughter on the other hand would not be a good candidate in spite of passing my 2 "test" criteria. So it is an individual thing. It is important to be aware of your surroundings and know when to get out of a situation. IF you think something might be questionable, it probably is a good idea to not do it. Rule of thumb, if you can't post it online or do it in front of a police officer, it's a godo idea to not do it.

I hope this has not come off as harsh, but those are pretty good guidelines to live by at any age.

Your posts seem to be pretty responsible, and that shows a lot as previously posted. You have some built in buddies here on PugSki so take advantage of this great resource.

Have fun.

markojp

mtn rep for the gear on my feet
Industry Insider
Instructor
My $0.02... Of your parents are ok with it and will help set up the lodging, go for it. The biggest danger is skiing solo in terrain (trees) where you need a partner even if you're a local. If you were my kiddo, assuming you didn't have any unusual past track record with bad judgement, I wouldn't have any trouble letting you go. In this day and age of FaceTime, cell phones, texting, etc.., you're never more than a couple of buttons from home.

( FWIW, I was allowed to travel overseas solo at 16 and 18 for a month and three months respectively long before Internet, and am very thankful to have travelled a lot in the years before we were all connected at the virtual hip. The cool thing about the virtual hip is that I've been able to reconnect with some of the people I met on those early adventures. ogsmile )

clong83

Stauffenberg!
Skier
Hello everyone -

I asked this same question over at TGR but I think the crowd over here will be a little different, so I'm reaching out again.

This winter, I will have the opportunity to go out to Whitefish, MT and ski with my father for the first time out of state in a few years (at home we ski together often). We're planning on skiing roughly 3 days, and then he will head out to go somewhere else with a friend. This leaves me either flying home on a plane after the 3 days, or continuing to ski solo until we both fly home together.

I wanted to know if going alone was even an option (and maybe there are other kids who have done it?). I am pretty independent and have a lot of experience skiing around the east coast. I have been around the deep powder of Wolf Creek and Purgatory, so I do have some west coast experience as well. I understand the concern for safety, but I would really like to explore somewhere new on my own itinerary. Maybe compromises could be made so this could work out (i.e. daily communication, no-go places, etc). I couldn't rent a car so I would essentially spend the whole time at Whitefish.

I've grown up in the east, spending most of my skiing life in Vermont. My western ski experience has been at Wolf Creek (CO), spending 90% of my time over at the Alberta Lift. I love to ski glades, and am fully aware of the danger of tree wells. I would probably avoid all the wooded areas until I found others to go with.

Concerned parents and/or adults, now is your chance! Convince me to ditch this fool-hardy plan!

Adventure-loving twenty-to-sixtysomethings, now is your chance! Convince me this should be a check off a bucket list!

Thank you all!

Depends a bit on your ski level and comfort, but as the father of two girls I say go for it and enjoy yourself. You seem like the responsible type. Just be aware of your surroundings. Try to make some friends on the lifts while your dad is still around and see if you can find a ski buddy for when you are on your own. Call your dad every day after you get back to the hotel so he knows you are safe. Have a plan for what you are comfortable skiing on your own, make sure your dad agrees and then stick with it.

TS
G

grnmtgrl

Booting up
Skier
Update... I don't think I'll be able to ski solo because it doesn't line up with the dates our family set... parents don't really want me to do this anyways...

Last edited:

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
Update... I don't think I'll be able to ski solo because it doesn't line up with the dates our family set... parents don't really want me to do this anyways...
Looks like this moot at this point. Going to close the thread. @grnmtgrl you are welcome to stay and hang around. You seem pretty cool that you were going to do this adverture given the opportunity.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sponsor