• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Retirement?

RachelV

I run TheSkiDiva.com and work at OpenSnow.
Ski Diva Tester
My 40-yo partner deals with his need to be competitive without risking his body playing soccer/basketball with a bunch of 20-somethings by taking beer league kickball very, very seriously. YMMV.

Fishbowl

A Parallel Universe
Skier
When I turned fifty I was put in the “Senior” division in martial arts and I knew it was time to gracefully move on.

TS
scott43

scott43

So much better than a pro
Skier
I find I'm trying a little too hard to compete with the 20 and 30 year old guys and I crushed a guy last night by accident..second time in two years. Feel terrible about it. Maybe time to hang'em up and focus on the cycling or something involving less contact I suppose..

crgildart

Gravity Slave
Skier
I find I'm trying a little too hard to compete with the 20 and 30 year old guys and I crushed a guy last night by accident..second time in two years. Feel terrible about it. Maybe time to hang'em up and focus on the cycling or something involving less contact I suppose..

Sounds like they're the ones that need to hang'em up.. Unless he was on your team??

TS
scott43

scott43

Skier
Sounds like they're the ones that need to hang'em up.. Unless he was on your team??
My team..we both were going and neither of us had great situational awareness..saw him last second and moved as best I could but still clocked him. Just start to question, am I going too hard to try and compete? Fortunately I don't wear shoulder pads so that made things better for him..not so much for me..but he still got the worst of it.

crgildart

Gravity Slave
Skier
My team..we both were going and neither of us had great situational awareness..saw him last second and moved as best I could but still clocked him. Just start to question, am I going too hard to try and compete? Fortunately I don't wear shoulder pads so that made things better for him..not so much for me..but he still got the worst of it.

Ah, so you were a step behind and missed the mark. If you're clearly not keeping up and coming in late it's probably time to either find people more your speed to play with... Or....Get some goalie pads and play in the net?

TS
scott43

scott43

Skier
Ah, so you were a step behind and missed the mark. If you're clearly not keeping up and coming in late it's probably time to either find people more your speed to play with... Or....Get some goalie pads and play in the net?
I'd rather chew off my arm than play net.. :D Yeah, maybe time to find something else to be competitive in.

Varmintmist

Bear, with furnture.
Skier
Hes young, he should have gotten out of the way. You were just passing along that experience and understanding through a short intimate lesson.

Like playing sandlot football and you over hear the other team the next day say "I dont know how we got beat up by a bunch of old guys."

Fishbowl

A Parallel Universe
Skier
When this thread started I just presumed the OP was talking about retiting from ski racing. It’s taken several posts and references to crushing people, shoulder pads and goalies to work out it’s probably ice hockey. The thread was more fun when I thought you were crushing people on the slopes

WheatKing

Ice coast carveaholic
Skier
Perhaps Ski Cross is in your future.. Blue had a pretty wild course setup last year.. looks fun on tv.. but up close those jumps (and corresponding gaps) are HUGE..

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
Athletes who hung around too long...
  • Brett Farve
  • Steve Carlton
  • Joe Namath

Walked off into sunset...
  • John Elway
  • Payton Manning
  • Derrick Jeter

cantunamunch

Meh
Skier

Come do inline - you've easily got enough time to train up for NY and A2A and Montreal - and the gear bags don't smell as bad :P

Sponsor

Staff online

• dbostedo
    Asst. Gathermeister
  • Andy Mink
    Everyone loves spring skiing but not in January
  • Dwight
    Practitioner of skiing, solid and liquid