• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Pop Ups

Bill Miles

Old Man Groomer Zoomer
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Seems to be getting worse. I X them off and they come right back, but seem to stay off after six or so times.

David Chaus

Beyond Help
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
Huh. I haven’t been getting them after the first couple of days.

Pat AKA mustski

It’s no Secret! It’s a Ranger!
Ski Diva Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
I still get them but I just x them out or report them as blocking content. No big deal. Most of them don’t block content.

fatbob

Not responding
Skier
Yup getting worse again. I had reverted from Brave because I don't particularly want to stiff the site but UX takes priority for me.

Eric@ict

Out on the slopes
Skier
I am not seeing them on my computer, but on my phone and Ipad, its bad. Site is almost unusable as far as Im concerned when using those either of them to view the site.

Andy Mink

Everyone loves spring skiing but not in January
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
Weird. The ones I get have all been the flat ones at the bottom of the page on my phone. Barely noticeable.
Screenshot_20230928_061135_Chrome.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
I don't often use my mobile but I just looked to see if I was getting what many of you are describing and I'm only seeing one scrolling ad at the bottom

IMG_8738.png

dbostedo

Asst. Gathermeister
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
FWIW, I'm not getting any bottom/pop-in/pop-up ads at all on mobile. I was before, but not for the last few days I don't think.

fatbob

Not responding
Skier
Different ads seem to size differently on your edge popup and both the animation and frequent churn is annoying/distracting for those who would rather not click x every few seconds. Just typing this I've been served about six different popups which scroll through multiple "pages".

Andy Mink

Everyone loves spring skiing but not in January
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
I wonder if the pop ups are more noticeable if larger fonts are set?

mikel

Making fresh tracks
Skier
I am not getting them using Google on my laptop. Not sure why they stopped. I just checked my phone and I am getting them using safari. A big Walden University popped up covering about the bottom 1/4 of the screen. On my mobile I can get them on the bottom or either side of the screen.

As mentioned earlier in the discussion, personal decision but one can manage pop ups.

David Chaus

Beyond Help
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
I’m not getting them at all, not on my laptop, iPad or iPhone. :huh:

Jwrags

Aka pwdrhnd
Skier
It is interesting that everyone is getting something different. I have been having the small one at the bottom of my phone screen but at times it just disappears.

ScottB

Making fresh tracks
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
I have a relatively small Motorola phone. At first they were big and in the middle, then they got smaller and at the bottom. Now I am back to getting mostly smaller at bottom and sometimes a little bigger in the middle. They do not always behave the same and seems they can be different on different phones and with different adds. Software is complicated...........

TS
Wilhelmson

Wilhelmson

Making fresh tracks
Skier
I have a relatively small Motorola phone. At first they were big and in the middle, then they got smaller and at the bottom. Now I am back to getting mostly smaller at bottom and sometimes a little bigger in the middle. They do not always behave the same and seems they can be different on different phones and with different adds. Software is complicated...........
They move them around so you dont become conditioned to unconsciously overlook them.

Somewhere along the line we probably gave some entity authorization to track our eye movements so they can deliver better ads to us.

4ster

Just because you can doesn’t mean you should!
Instructor
I don’t think I’ve posted in this thread. Thought I would give it a week or two & see if I assimilated & the pop-ups became less annoying. At this point they have been pretty consistent on my IPad. I haven’t been on the site with my phone. 99% of the time it is the Edge banner across the bottom of the page. Occasionally one will pop up on the side.
It seems to be more difficult to just close it with the X. Lately I am about 50/50 and end up opening a new page with an add which takes me away from SkiTalk until I close the new page and go back to the forum.

IMG_3742.jpeg

MissySki

Rogue Assassin of Bad Puns.
Ski Diva Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
Mine had gotten better with only flat banners at the bottom for a bit, now it goes back and forth between that and the pop up ones that take a large portion of the bottom left of my phone screen. It's odd how it just seems to do what it wants and is different for everyone. haha

I was on my computer earlier and had a large one that popped up in the lower right corner, but it wasn’t bothersome or covering up anything. It was just in the white edge space. Nice part about a larger screen I guess.

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
How to get have a pop-up free ad experience.

Sponsor

Staff online