• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Pop Ups

MissySki

Rogue Assassin of Bad Puns.
Ski Diva Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
Something has changed and it is much more tolerable now as it is low on the phone screen. Maybe the feedback helped.
I agree, I am currently seeing it as a flatter bar across the bottom of my phone screen. Much less intrusive than the large square I was getting on the lower left corner every time I switched pages, that would actually cover parts of what I was reading.

David Chaus

Beyond Help
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
OK, for revenue ideas, how about paying to make posts in certain topics where expert advice is being solicited:
  • in a boot fitting thread, if you’re not a boot fitter
  • in an instruction thread if you’re not an instructor (or otherwise approved by SkiTalk)
  • ski comparison question threads if you’re not a gear tester (as specified/approved by SkiTalk)
This should not apply to polls, Gathering threads or most everything else.

Actually there should be a charge for posting duplications in the Funnies thread, whether banal or absolutely hilarious.

Another penalty in the Funnies for: sexist or misogynistic posts, too much alcohol posts, overeating posts. 10mm missing? You could fund the whole site on that alone.

You can pay per post, or pay in advance for 25, 50 or 100 posts. I have to do something like this for my e-fax number.

neonorchid

Making fresh tracks
Skier
I suspect, as with all changes, we will adjust. Skitalk is a business venture which needs to keep the lights on - so to speak. None of us work for free.
+ 1 and it would appear to be evolving, that is earlier in prime time hours the right hand side bar pop up was intrusive cutting into txt, now it seems to only occupy the side bar which I can live with ... 9 8 7 6 5 4 3 2 1 0 so far so good

neonorchid

Making fresh tracks
Skier
OK, for revenue ideas, how about paying to make posts in certain topics where expert advice is being solicited:
  • in a boot fitting thread, if you’re not a boot fitter
  • in an instruction thread if you’re not an instructor (or otherwise approved by SkiTalk)
  • ski comparison question threads if you’re not a gear tester (as specified/approved by SkiTalk)
This should not apply to polls, Gathering threads or most everything else.
Unknown-1.jpeg

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
Something has changed and it is much more tolerable now as it is low on the phone screen. Maybe the feedback helped.
As noted early on, we are working with someone new and as we communicate with them we are trying ....

crgildart

Gravity Slave
Skier
Neverminded, thought I noticed something that wasn't.

crgildart

Gravity Slave
Skier
@Philpug @Tricia @Dwight as for the NEW user experience, I strongly recommend seeing if there is a way to make the initial landing page clean. have the pop ups start when people are actually viewing threads. That way new people aren't immediately soured getting pop up-saulted with the first view of our forum.

Eric@ict

Out on the slopes
Skier
I hate popups. Not seeing them on my computer. Thats a great thing. Still see them on my phone and Ipad, but they do not seem to be as obstructive to the viewing area. This is a good change. The first day, after a few minutes, I had to leave the page I was so frustrated. After checking a few times it seems to be getting better.
I get it. Something has to bring money in. But I don’t like it. Particularly the pop ups for AARP, those are just offensive.
Sign up for AARP after you donate $25 to Ski talk. I signed my wife up for it for her birthday so we could enjoy the discounts. It didnt go over so well. My nose is healing and you barely see the discolor under my eyes.

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
Now I I am getting something called La Date, with pictures of young women. What if my wife sees this?
I can report these if you PM me the link, and or screen shot.

Sponsor

Staff online