• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Old boot

Getting on the lift
Skier
How often should we replace our helmet (or just head butt the trees el naked head style) ?

Kneale Brownson

Making fresh tracks forever on the other side
Instructor
Vail's helmet policy (they've supplied on-snow staff with helmets since requiring them) is every three seasons for full time folks. In ski school, that's around 90 days a season.

Chris Walker

Ullr Is Lord
Skier
I've heard you should replace it after every "impact" but I don't know how much force is required to count as a helmet-replacing "impact." If it counts when an eager chair mate pulls the bar down onto my unsuspecting head, then every ski day should start with a new helmet.

graham418

Skiing the powder
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Is there a time stamp on helmets? I know on construction hard hats , they are dated , and have to be replaced after 2 years. For motorcycle helmets, and bicycle helmets , they should be replaced after a significant impact.

TS
O

Old boot

Getting on the lift
Skier
Vail's helmet policy (they've supplied on-snow staff with helmets since requiring them) is every three seasons for full time folks. In ski school, that's around 90 days a season.
Ah part time ! I wonder if Whistler will get them, if so lady salina can take hers back!!!
And I also forgot about when Ziggy takes a wiz in it.

luliski

Making fresh tracks
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
For bike helmets, they say every three years. I saw something on a the specs for the ski helmet I have that said "multi-impact." I don't know if they mean that the helmet can withstand multiple impacts, or that it has MIPS (multi-directional impact protection system). I need to find out because it had two impacts last season, one of them pretty minor; and one that felt bad, but was impact with hard snow, not a tree or rock. I'm wondering if I really need to replace it. I just got it last season.

Ken_R

Living the Dream
Skier
How often should we replace our helmet (or just head butt the trees el naked head style) ?

After 3-5 years at best. Right after a severe impact at worst. The materials do degrade over time even if you store them perfectly. Its the same with climbing harnesses.

Jim McDonald

愛スキー
Skier
After every skull fracture...

HDSkiing

You’re Sliding On-Snow; Don’t Over-Think it!
Skier
The area I work for just instituted a mandatory helmet (for skiing employees). They provide you a voucher every 2 years if you're full time 3 for part time.

I'm guessing that's based on industry standards. A recreational skier could maybe go to 5 years.

wyowindrunner

Getting off the lift
Skier
Is there a time stamp on helmets? I know on construction hard hats , they are dated , and have to be replaced after 2 years. For motorcycle helmets, and bicycle helmets , they should be replaced after a significant impact.

Could not resist commenting- from a 3M PPE informational brochure:

 What factors can damage a hard hat? All of the following:

•  Impact to the hard hat

•  UV exposure

•  Chemical exposure

•  Abuse

 How often should a hard hat be replaced? Under any of the following circumstances:
  •  Immediately if a blow to the hard hat occurs.

•  Shell

(Recommended to replace every 2 – 5 years dependant on

environment and use)

•  Suspension

(Recommended to replace at least every 12 months dependant on environment and use)

ANSI Z89.1-2009 does not have a mandated replacement date for hard hats. There are several indications of the need for replacement. Discoloration is a primary indicator. Primary cause is UV exposure. Will see what I can find regarding specifications in snow sport helmet manufacturing.

wyowindrunner

Getting off the lift
Skier
https://www.sportsprotective.com/blogs/news/when-to-replace-your-ski-helmet-or-snowboard-helmet
The link above was about the best article found with comments from two different manufactures. Unlike hardhats sold in the U.S., apparently there are no ANSI standards for helmets. Snow sports headgear is manufactured to various voluntary standards,the European being the least stringent, EN1077-2007 to the Snell Labs RS 98 standard, the most stringent. There is also a ASTM standard ASTM2040, and a Canadian standardCSA 263.1. These all are manufacturing and testing standards and do not reference replacement intervals.

RuleMiHa

Out on the slopes
Skier
I unpacked after a trip where I placed my helmet in my checked luggage (large bag) and noticed multiple small (2-5 mm) dents in my helmet. I have no idea what made those, could have been my toiletries (blow dryer), could have been TSA drop kicking my luggage. Would you guys have replaced that helmet?

wyowindrunner

Getting off the lift
Skier
I unpacked after a trip where I placed my helmet in my checked luggage (large bag) and noticed multiple small (2-5 mm) dents in my helmet. I have no idea what made those, could have been my toiletries (blow dryer), could have been TSA drop kicking my luggage. Would you guys have replaced that helmet?
Assume that is diameter, not depth? Think it would depend on location of the dings. Referring to the link I posted above, the major protective element in the helmet is the EPS foam layer, not the ABS or PC shell. If the dings were deep enough to impact the foam and if they are located on the crown or high on the sides or back, may be cause for concern. Don't know about the resiliency and fatigue resistance of the plastic shell. If the material was struck by something that left permanent depressions in the material, than it is likely that it's elastic resiliency properties have been exceeded, and plastic (state of stress, not the material) deformation has occurred. If this has happened then the original shell strength has been exceeded at that point. How new is the helmet? Do a lot of tree skiing? Doing any rodeo1080's?

RuleMiHa

Out on the slopes
Skier
Assume that is diameter, not depth? Think it would depend on location of the dings. Referring to the link I posted above, the major protective element in the helmet is the EPS foam layer, not the ABS or PC shell. If the dings were deep enough to impact the foam and if they are located on the crown or high on the sides or back, may be cause for concern. Don't know about the resiliency and fatigue resistance of the plastic shell. If the material was struck by something that left permanent depressions in the material, than it is likely that it's elastic resiliency properties have been exceeded, and plastic (state of stress, not the material) deformation has occurred. If this has happened then the original shell strength has been exceeded at that point. How new is the helmet? Do a lot of tree skiing? Doing any rodeo1080's?
Depth was never more than 2 mm. All clustered around one area in the crown. Nothing deep enough (residual) to appear to have affected the EPS foam layer. I was finishing my second season with that helmet IIRC, no tree skiing, no rodeos (haven't lived in Texas in 14 years).

Sponsor

Staff online