• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

International (Europe/Japan/Southern Hemisphere) Niseko Advice - early January

Rainbow Jenny

Making fresh tracks
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
@BMC - fist fights? sounds awesome. That day trip to Rusutsu is sounding better all the time. Less *loved to death* there, I hope?
Last year we avoided starting at Grand Hirafu. Hanazono parking is convenient and the covered heated leather bucket 6 seater lift is totally first class.

I had a season pass and a ski locker at Rusutsu ‘17-‘18 . Best decision ever. Last year heard that Rusutsu was back to pre-pandemic visitor number. It’s a special place, check it out.

dwlighting

Putting on skis
Skier
Best ski rental shop in Niseko for demo quality skis?

I don't think I'm going to bring the QST 98s. I have a work trip on the front end and it's a lot of baggage to hump around.

Any tips appreciated.

TS
S

Sugarbowler

Booting up
Skier

I don't think I'm going to bring the QST 98s. I have a work trip on the front end and it's a lot of baggage to hump around.

Any tips appreciated.

I rented QST 98s from Rhythm in Hirafu. They also have Armada, Black Crows and I saw a bunch of K2 Mindbenders.

Toyru is right next door to the main Rhythm store at the base of Hirafu. I saw Vector Glides and Tesma skis for sale, but didn't ask if they also demoed them. You might want to check them out if you want to try a ski that's made in Japan.

BMC

Out on the slopes
Skier

Any tips appreciated.
Rhythm sports, now owned by Evo, is the biggest ski retailer and rental operator in Niseko by far. I’m sure they’ll have something for you.

Even_Stevens

Getting off the lift
Skier

Any tips appreciated.

Judging by the quality of demo skis in Niseko at 2 different shops (Rhythm and Niseko Snow Sports) I would say I haven’t found one yet. Currently on the ground here. This is from 3 different pairs of skis…Volkl Mantra M5, Volkl 90Eight, and Volkl Kendo 92.

What you get is 4-6 year old beat up stuff (although the Kendos are the exception; they’re old but in pretty good shape). The kind of skis that Powder7 would throw on their website as a 6.5-7 out of 10. The demo situation is not like the United States where you usually get current year models as a demo or “premium” rental.

All 3 pairs of skis had problems with their Marker demo bindings being badly adjusted where it was almost impossible to step into one ski. We had to find a bench with tools for two of them, and just skied another pair until the shop could look at them.

I would advise anyone going to Niseko to bring their own skis if at all possible because the demo situation in the Hirafu base - to put it bluntly - sucks.

Sponsor

Staff online