• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

International (Europe/Japan/Southern Hemisphere) Niseko Advice - early January

rstinchc

In the parking lot (formerly "At the base lodge")
Skier
Niseko raised its lift tickets this year. They are now Yen 9,500 / day for adults. There are some amazing other mountains in Hokkaido and Tohoku. Check this resource out: freshsnow.jp

There is an abandoned ski mountain called Chisenupuri. They now stopped operating the ski lifts and offer CAT skiing. Check this out: Chisenupuri

Rainbow Jenny

Making fresh tracks
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Niseko raised its lift tickets this year. They are now Yen 9,500 / day for adults. There are some amazing other mountains in Hokkaido and Tohoku. Check this resource out: freshsnow.jjp

There is an abandoned ski mountain called Chisenupuri. They now stopped operating the ski lifts and offer CAT skiing. Check this out: Chisenupuri
JPY 9500 is still only USD 66 a day.

I love the Chise area for ski touring, have spent at least 25 days back there and been in the first vehicle in the parking lot. Have just taken 2 cat laps on two separate sunny days, kinda rare in January. The cat operation didn’t seem to open too many days.

A map was published this year:
Niseko Backcountry (Backcountry Ski Map) https://a.co/d/bhvzj8T

Last edited:

Rainbow Jenny

Making fresh tracks
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
I didn't mean to discount what @rstinchc suggested. For example, Tenguyama, one of my favorite places, offers four hour lift ticket for 3,000JPY or 21USD, perfect for a half day.

If for some reason you haven't figured out how to read Japanese or other language webpages, go to Google Translate, select "Websites," then type in the URL.

Chisenupuri in the background in Jan 2023. I don't mean to suggest I regularly summit Chise, I just go out to minor/namless "mounds" and find the best powder for the day. FYI, "nupuri" means mountain in the indigenous Ainu language. Take time to read and learn about the Ainu culture to enrich yourself, I love comparing it to my limited understanding of the Indigenous Alaskan cultures.

View attachment _DSC5176.JPG

Last edited:

BMC

Out on the slopes
Skier
Early condition report by the way is the base is decent and the groomed snow skiing is pretty good, but the off piste needs another dump or two to get going.

TS
S

Sugarbowler

Booting up
Skier
Thanks for the update.

What's a good site for weather forecasts for Niseko/Rusutsu? I use opensnow, but their Japan specific forecast isn't as good as North America.

BMC

Out on the slopes
Skier
Thanks for the update.

What's a good site for weather forecasts for Niseko/Rusutsu? I use opensnow, but their Japan specific forecast isn't as good as North America.
No idea on that one, sorry. I use the mountain watch website on occasion but I normally just rely on what I can see each morning!

Rainbow Jenny

Making fresh tracks
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter

Lauren

AKA elemmac
SkiTalk Tester
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
Thanks for the update.

I’ll second Windy. It was recommended by a guide service I used during my trip to Japan in 2020. I ended up liking it so much that it’s my main weather app now.

Second, I use Snow-forecast.com. Love how they give forecasts at different elevations and freezing elevations.

dwlighting

Putting on skis
Skier
Early condition report by the way is the base is decent and the groomed snow skiing is pretty good, but the off piste needs another dump or two to get going.
Thanks, @BMC - My trip got flipped - expecting to be at Niseko now January 22-26. Should be poppin’ by then, I imagine.

Reactions: BMC

James

Out There
Instructor
Will the recent earthquake on the west coast affect anything?

dwlighting

Putting on skis
Skier
Hey friends - I just read a few posts on Reddit that conditions in Hokkaido, esp Niseko, are seriously suboptimal. Like one of the worst season starts in memory. But, hey, it's Reddit.

@BMC , @Rainbow Jenny - would you be able to provide a reality check? . Thx. !

TS
S

Sugarbowler

Booting up
Skier
I'm here now... It's filling in nicely. Weather report shows that it's snowing the rest of the week. I'll attach a pic of the conditions in the trees from yesterday.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20240107-154532.png
    Screenshot_20240107-154532.png
    733.5 KB · Views: 9
  • Screenshot_20240107-154623.png
    Screenshot_20240107-154623.png
    1 MB · Views: 8

BMC

Out on the slopes
Skier
Hey friends - I just read a few posts on Reddit that conditions in Hokkaido, esp Niseko, are seriously suboptimal. Like one of the worst season starts in memory. But, hey, it's Reddit.

@BMC , @Rainbow Jenny - would you be able to provide a reality check? . Thx. !
It’s been slightly below normal until the past two days when it started snowing more enthusiastically. Yesterday was reasonably good quality but I felt today was heavy by Niseko standards. It’s snowing now. By this time last year I’d had maybe 5 or 6 great days but so far I’ve on,y had half a great day. Hoping for more.

i do feel Hirafu is being loved to death a little. I heard a report of a fistfight in a lift queue two or three days ago unfortunately. I’ve been here enough to know how to avoid the worst of the crowds but with something like 100 other ski resorts in Japan…certainly 10’s of them…I do feel Niseko is starting to be over loved.

Edit to add, December and early January can always be a bit hit and miss. If you want to optimise chances of good snow and a good base you don’t come now - you come the last two weeks of January, or February. My time here is dictated by the timing of Australian school holidays for now. If I had complete freedom I’d go then. That said, I also enjoy early season and spring - each has their charms. Aggressive crowds though are never charming.

Last edited:

dwlighting

Putting on skis
Skier
It’s been slightly below normal until the past two days when it started snowing more enthusiastically. Yesterday was reasonably good quality but I felt today was heavy by Niseko standards. It’s snowing now. By this time last year I’d had maybe 5 or 6 great days but so far I’ve on,y had half a great day. Hoping for more.

i do feel Hirafu is being loved to death a little. I heard a report of a fistfight in a lift queue two or three days ago unfortunately. I’ve been here enough to know how to avoid the worst of the crowds but with something like 100 other ski resorts in Japan…certainly 10’s of them…I do feel Niseko is starting to be over loved.

Edit to add, December and early January can always be a bit hit and miss. If you want to optimise chances of good snow and a good base you don’t come now - you come the last two weeks of January, or February. My time here is dictated by the timing of Australian school holidays for now. If I had complete freedom I’d go then. That said, I also enjoy early season and spring - each has their charms. Aggressive crowds though are never charming.
Many thanks @BMC , @Lauren, @Sugarbowler - feeling a bit better reading your replies. I still have 2 weeks before I am on the ground, so fingers crossed it keeps getting better and doesn't get warm.

@BMC - fist fights? sounds awesome. That day trip to Rusutsu is sounding better all the time. Less *loved to death* there, I hope?

Reactions: BMC

Sponsor

Staff online