• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Mounting lines for a female on male skis

Karen_skier2.0

AKA - RX2SKI
Skier
I purchased a pair of Volkl Kendos--the male version of the Kenja.

I need to get them mounted. What instructions should I give them to have them mounted "for a girl"?

SBrown

So much better than a pro
Skier
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter

I need to get them mounted. What instructions should I give them to have them mounted "for a girl"?

Find a pair of Kenjas the same length and compare. Often it's 1 cm forward, not sure about these. I had my 177 Auras mounted like 177 Mantras: we moved the bindings 1 cm back after lining them up. That was a long time ago, though.

Supergaper

Slaying it gently.
Skier
Find a pair of Kenjas the same length and compare. Often it's 1 cm forward, not sure about these. I had my 177 Auras mounted like 177 Mantras: we moved the bindings 1 cm back after lining them up. That was a long time ago, though.

I would suggest the same, if you can put both skis on the bench and measure the suggested mounting points that will reveal a lot. Also if you have a
similar ski in shape and length you own that you like, you could compare that mounting point as well.

I would only add that if you have small foot- 21 or 22 size boot, maybe even 1.5-2 cm's forward, though again other variables come into play-
typically more hard snow oriented, a little more forward, more soft snow oriented, a little back.

Since I am a little old school, I tend to focus on the location of the toe piece, and the ball of foot location more than boot center, especially when looking at
boots on either end of the size spectrum.

Monique

bounceswoosh
Skier
Wait. Have I been doing it wrong all these years? I have bought many a unisex/men's ski, and I just have them mounted at the recommended spot. :huh:

Is this a CoM thing?

Supergaper

Slaying it gently.
Skier
Not doing it wrong at all, I myself mount on the line, and don't really think about it.

Or if its a modern ski with multiple mounting lines I go for the back one.

However I know that comparing men's and women's skis from manufacturers in years past, the women's
skis were mounted 1-1.5 cm forward in like for like comparisons. I have worked with many women on their
mounts, from intermediates to professionals, some are "on the line, done" and some think it through a little more.

Additionally my views on toe mounts and ball of foot location might be applying less and less as shapes and rocker/camber
profiles change/evolve!

Or as I once said in an early TGR post on the subject "just mount it up and ski the s#@t out of it!"

Supergaper

Slaying it gently.
Skier
Oh yeah, mount points are definitely not gender specific- more handwringing from male pros than anyone!

SBrown

So much better than a pro
Skier
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
Wait. Have I been doing it wrong all these years? I have bought many a unisex/men's ski, and I just have them mounted at the recommended spot. :huh:

Is this a CoM thing?

Nothing is really standard. It's like a lot of this stuff, trial and error. I don't really mind a groomer ski being mounted forward, but for a while I was buying women's "fat" skis (funny to think 88 was once fat) and it was a bit of a clusterfuck skiing those at a forward mount in deep snow. Thus I made sure to move my bindings back a little bit for (women's) skis I planned on using in deeper snow. It was also when things were shorter and I hadn't figured out yet to consider my height more than my weight when selecting a size. I have it dialed now, but it took a few pairs.

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
This is an interesting thread for me today because I planned on skiing the Blizzard Latigo's, mostly because we get a lot of women in the shop who ask about on snow comparisons of the Latigo and Cheyenne. Turns out, we don't have the Latigo in our demo fleet so I took the Cheyenne in a 170. After about 2 runs I decided that I like the 163 better because its more playful for me, but I could easily ski the 170 if I were to mount it 1cm forward.

That being said, a woman was in our shop this week to buy the Cheyenne in 163 because she demo'd it and loved it. She owns the Latigo in 170. I sincerely wonder if she would enjoy that ski if she were to mount it a little forward :huh:

SlideWright

aka Alpinord
Industry Insider
SkiTalk Supporter

We mounted my son's Kendos on the line and it seemed correct for him on the WROD.

Generally, it'd be great if all bindings could be adjusted for various mounting points.

And it is not that big of a deal, IMO to drill again for a different mount location. Inserts facilitate this easily. One customer always mounts new skis with adjustable bindings. He then skis and adjusts them until he likes the location. Then he yanks them, plugs the holes and mounts his preferred bindings.

TS
Karen_skier2.0

Karen_skier2.0

AKA - RX2SKI
Skier
I haven't found a store with both Kendos and Kenjas in stock, but I will.

This discussion makes me wonder--do people using a ski for powder like to mount a little more towards the tail? Where would someone want to mount a ski for tree skiing and moguls?

Bill Talbot

Vintage Gear Curator
Industry Insider
I don't know about the 'male ski' thing. I consider all ski unisex skis. Then there seem to be women specific skis but I don't know if it's more than new pretty top sheets in some cases.
There are way more variables to picking a ski than your sex. Without much exception, most of the better female skiers I know all prefer the 'uni-sex ski'. Then after you have selected the ski with all the characteristics you like, you can then try and figure out where you need to put your mount. (the line almost always worked just fine for me)

Monique

bounceswoosh
Skier
I don't know about the 'male ski' thing. I consider all ski unisex skis. Then there seem to be women specific skis but I don't know if it's more than new pretty top sheets in some cases.
There are way more variables to picking a ski than your sex. Without much exception, most of the better female skiers I know all prefer the 'uni-sex ski'.

It really, really depends. Even if there's nothing different than the topsheet, the women's skis will be available in shorter lengths; the men's/unisex longer.

The Santa Ana has been a big hit among a number of us, including me, @Tricia , and @RachelV . (Though to be fair, I haven't skied the Enforcer yet, but as the Santa Ana seems plenty stiff for me, I don't think I'd prefer it.)

I have had a mix of men's and women's skis over the years, and it really depends. What I do wish is that they would move away from men's/women's to skis for ligher/shorter or taller/heavier. Because of societal sexism, it's still "cool" for women to ski men's skis while it's "wimpy" for men to ski women's skis - even if said man is short, or older/less muscle mass, or very slight, etc.

Bill Talbot

Vintage Gear Curator
Industry Insider
I think some of the manufacturers are doing that type of thing already. The Blizzard Magnum 8.0 in either CA or TI form. But I agree that more could be done along those lines. Extend the softer flexing skis down in size and the metal versions up into even longer platforms. Weight and aggressiveness are certainly bigger players than gender (or height), that's for sure.

Monique

bounceswoosh
Skier
I think some of the manufacturers are doing that type of thing already. The Blizzard Magnum 8.0 in either CA or TI form. But I agree that more could be done along those lines. Extend the softer flexing skis down in size and the metal versions up into even longer platforms. Weight and aggressiveness are certainly bigger players than gender (or height), that's for sure.

Agreed, although I think height -> leg leverage, so it definitely matters.

Sponsor