• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

luliski

Making fresh tracks
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Mountain road biking on Friday on and below Donner Summit. It was a beautiful day, and there were many cyclists and climbers out. The bottom of the descent was paved this time, so no riding over dirt.
IMG_4132.JPG

Donner Lake was so inviting; really wanted to swim!

IMG_4139.JPG

Doug Briggs

"Douche Bag Local"
Industry Insider
SkiTalk Tester
I took my 5010 to the shop to check out the slight creaking around the headtube area. Today I saddled up an old friend that I gave to a friend to learn on. I raced this bike back in Maine before moving to CO. The bars and seat post were upgrades the new owner applied. I just added a 2.3 front tire and will be adding a 2.2 rear tire to modernize this ride a bit. The shock is an upgrade from tge Judy SL it came with.

The titanium Voodoo Dejab
20171008_120238.jpg

I am spoiled by my new bike and suspension in general. I ran the tires a bit softer than I should for tubes. I pinch flatted the rear in New Slalom. Patched it up and finished on Upper Flume.

I saw more walkers and bikers than I think I saw all summer. Everyone was getting out to enjoy the last sunny day before the storm. Speaking of which, it was clear out 30 minutes ago. Where's the storm?

4ster

Just because you can doesn’t mean you should!
Instructor
Where's the storm?

Storm slid through here quickly yesterday (N. Utah) from about 11am till 4pm. I was hoping to get some lift served laps at Snowbasin as it was their last day of summer ops.. I've been shut out from riding there the past 3 weekends due to events & weather. Of course the storm came in yesterday when I was about halfway there & decided it wasn't such a great idea & I turned around.

Flying towers on Saturday...
SB tour flight.jpg

Last edited:

AmyPJ

Skiing the powder
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
I was wondering when those towers would finally go up! Sorry I missed witnessing it. I was off playing in the middle of the state, riding from Boulder Mountain (we were somewhere around 9000 feet) into Capitol Reef NP (descending 3000+ feet) on essentially 19 miles of jeep road that was pretty gnarly in some sections, but was primarily downhill riding, so what fun it was! There were rock gardens galore, water crossings, and tons of free-range cattle (should have gotten video of Bryce chasing a bull on his bike, funny stuff!)
Here's the Reliv version of the ride. https://www.relive.cc/view/1221713004
And a few shots of the scenery. I did not take many pictures. Waiting to get copies from others. The weekend away was very fun and very much needed.
22386337_10214689343413570_1645915565_n.jpg

22361123_10214689356093887_1250053058_n.jpg

Monique

bounceswoosh
Skier
I was wondering when those towers would finally go up! Sorry I missed witnessing it. I was off playing in the middle of the state, riding from Boulder Mountain (we were somewhere around 9000 feet) into Capitol Reef NP (descending 3000+ feet) on essentially 19 miles of jeep road that was pretty gnarly in some sections, but was primarily downhill riding, so what fun it was! There were rock gardens galore, water crossings, and tons of free-range cattle (should have gotten video of Bryce chasing a bull on his bike, funny stuff!)
Here's the Reliv version of the ride. https://www.relive.cc/view/1221713004
And a few shots of the scenery. I did not take many pictures. Waiting to get copies from others. The weekend away was very fun and very much needed.
22386337_10214689343413570_1645915565_n.jpg

22361123_10214689356093887_1250053058_n.jpg

Oh, man! I could do 19 miles if it were mostly downhill!

Been trying to think if I can squeeze in a Utah trip before my job starts.

AmyPJ

Skiing the powder
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
Oh, man! I could do 19 miles if it were mostly downhill!

Been trying to think if I can squeeze in a Utah trip before my job starts.
Yeah, 600 feet of climbing (and some of it was long and steep) then mostly flat or downhill. There were also some long sections of very soft sand, which always proves to be a challenge.

I wouldn't make this ride a destination ride, but it was a fun way to spend the day in an area we were going to be in sightseeing anyway.

Monique

bounceswoosh
Skier
Yeah, 600 feet of climbing (and some of it was long and steep) then mostly flat or downhill. There were also some long sections of very soft sand, which always proves to be a challenge.

I wouldn't make this ride a destination ride, but it was a fun way to spend the day in an area we were going to be in sightseeing anyway.

Yeah - if I were visiting the Front Range, I wouldn't prioritize that ride I did yesterday. But sometimes it's nice to just do something different.

AmyPJ

Skiing the powder
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
Yeah - if I were visiting the Front Range, I wouldn't prioritize that ride I did yesterday. But sometimes it's nice to just do something different.
Oh boy is it ever! How much more fun can you have then riding through the wilds of a Utah NP with a group of yahoos like us? Brought a renewed joy to riding, for sure!

Ron

Seeking the next best ski
SkiTalk Tester
Just wanted to give a quick update on the DMR Vault magnesium platform pedals. I did very short ride up Spring creek (a lot of climbing especially short punchy climbs with some rocks, narrow single track) about 6 miles in total with the "Vault" platforms with FiveTen Freerider Pro shoes. I loved this setup. There is a bit of a learning curve to get your foot used to going back the sweet spot on the pedal but otherwise, I really didn't notice any downsides over being clipped in. There is very little, if any loss in power when climbing. I also found that as long as you angled your heel down on the descents through rocky sections my foot never came off the pedals. I also really like the ability to leave your feet in place when going through tricky terrain and not worrying about the extra time and and effort to unclip and dab a foot if needed. This was apparent on a section where the trail turns 120* and descends through rocks. I was able to ride through the section without taking a foot because I felt the confidence that I didn't need to unclip. That was something I didn't think would be so valued. The shoes really stick well to the pedals and the extra support of the wide interface was noticeable. the slight rockered design with well-placed spikes work! I'm sold. Shoes are super comfortable too.

Doug Briggs

"Douche Bag Local"
Industry Insider
SkiTalk Tester
It's 20 degrees and we got very little out of this last storm. The riding will soon continue on frozen in place mud.

Ron

SkiTalk Tester
^ thats one nice thing about being at ~7k, temps here will be in the 40's-upper 50's for a few more weeks. I just picked up some winter Bibs for an extended road season. Not ready to put the bikes away. Hoping to ride MTB tomorrow with @Bruuuce

Monique

bounceswoosh
Skier
Just wanted to give a quick update on the DMR Vault magnesium platform pedals. I did very short ride up Spring creek (a lot of climbing especially short punchy climbs with some rocks, narrow single track) about 6 miles in total with the "Vault" platforms with FiveTen Freerider Pro shoes. I loved this setup. There is a bit of a learning curve to get your foot used to going back the sweet spot on the pedal but otherwise, I really didn't notice any downsides over being clipped in. There is very little, if any loss in power when climbing. I also found that as long as you angled your heel down on the descents through rocky sections my foot never came off the pedals. I also really like the ability to leave your feet in place when going through tricky terrain and not worrying about the extra time and and effort to unclip and dab a foot if needed. This was apparent on a section where the trail turns 120* and descends through rocks. I was able to ride through the section without taking a foot because I felt the confidence that I didn't need to unclip. That was something I didn't think would be so valued. The shoes really stick well to the pedals and the extra support of the wide interface was noticeable. the slight rockered design with well-placed spikes work! I'm sold. Shoes are super comfortable too.

I love riding on platform pedals. I've ridden both ways for years at a time, and I'm confident I will be staying with platforms.

Reactions: Ron

Bruuuce

My advice is worth what you paid for it.
Skier
^ thats one nice thing about being at ~7k, temps here will be in the 40's-upper 50's for a few more weeks. I just picked up some winter Bibs for an extended road season. Not ready to put the bikes away. Hoping to ride MTB tomorrow with @Bruuuce

Looking forward to it. Should be the last really nice week for biking.

You are braver than I when it comes to road biking...

Ron

SkiTalk Tester
I'll give you a call. I am open for a time but I'll check with my neighbor. Should be a really nice day.

AmyPJ

Skiing the powder
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
This has been my exact impression of riding with flats, too. The Five Tens are a critical part of the set-up. I'll have to keep those pedals in mind, as I'll probably be switching mine out next spring (although I do like composite pedals--they make a lot less noise when you have a pedal strike.)

Ron

SkiTalk Tester
the pedal width depends on the size of your foot. Here's a great article and pedal reviews. i bought mine through Chain Reaction BTW. Couldnt find them in the US. Check out the Spank Spoon's which come in 3 different sizes.

Vital-MTB-Face-Off-The-Best-Flat-Pedals,1485

Sponsor