• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

mostly wine stuff

cantunamunch

Meh
Skier
Only good use of this grape is Cava . . .

In what role? Terrifying the Xarel-lo children into good behaviour? OK children you behave or the evil Macabeo will get you! Grandma Raisin with her rusty secateurs is positively nice compared to Macabeo the Foul!

Heck that would be enough to turn a red grape psychotic.

Last edited:

skibob

Skiing the powder
Skier
In what role? Terrifying the Xarel-lo children into good behaviour? OK children you behave or the evil Macabeo will get you! Grandma Raisin with her rusty secateurs is positively nice compared to Macabeo the Foul!

Heck that would be enough to turn a red grape psychotic.
LOL, If your's was foul, it was bad winemaking. Macabeo's biggest offense is it is utterly insipid. The only descriptor I can come up with off the top of my head is "white". For sparkling wine, much of the character comes from the technique, not the grape. And cava, most cava, isn't expected to have the depth of champagne anyway. Macabeo is a blank slate.

cantunamunch

Meh
Skier
Nah I know Trebbiano is the classic Italian mouthwash; The bottle above wasn't bland because it had must in the middle and oak in the back. I remember thinking Cruzado was a good mnemonic for 'tastes like an oak cross left out in the rain'.

Foul as above was mostly used as a generic evil moniker with a slight allusion to Thomas Covenant, to amplify the analogical allusion to the Witch with the Hut.

cantunamunch

Meh
Skier
BTW there is always the old Italian use for the stuff - rinsing out cabinet stored glassware before one pours in the drinkable liquids.

skibob

Skiing the powder
Skier
BTW there is always the old Italian use for the stuff - rinsing out cabinet stored glassware before one pours in the drinkable liquids.
One of my favorite one-liners from a tasting of sparkling wines years ago was, "the only thing I'd use that for is cleaning my toilet . . . " Look at what a step up "dusty glassware rinsing" is!

TS
Tony S

Tony S

I have a confusion to make ...
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
Okay, first up we have a notably delicate, dry Sanlucar amontillado. Schildknecht would say, "shrimp shell."

20170515_190030-01.jpeg

Mendieta

Master of Snowplow
SkiTalk Tester
Contributor
Ok, this is insane

20170520_173455.jpg

I wonder if @skibob knows, or is, the producer :)

I tried this with my buddy across the street 5 years ago. It was a tremendous tannic bomb. Full of flavor, and we enjoyed it tons. Today I found the second and last bottle. Ten years of age, and I thought ...

:yeah:

This thing is dense, deep, so flavorful and balanced. The tannins have been tamed with the passage of time, and Lord bless California. A pure petit verdot that drinks like a really good Bordeaux. Mendieta 93.

I wish you were here.

TS
Tony S

Tony S

Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
^^^ Nice

skibob

Skiing the powder
Skier
Ok, this is insane

View attachment 24535

I wonder if @skibob knows, or is, the producer :)

I tried this with my buddy across the street 5 years ago. It was a tremendous tannic bomb. Full of flavor, and we enjoyed it tons. Today I found the second and last bottle. Ten years of age, and I thought ...

:yeah:

This thing is dense, deep, so flavorful and balanced. The tannins have been tamed with the passage of time, and Lord bless California. A pure petit verdot that drinks like a really good Bordeaux. Mendieta 93.

I wish you were here.
I knew one of the previous winemakers for Bell. But he's been gone several years. Headed to Oregon if I recall correctly. He would have made 2007 for sure. He was a helluva winemaker. Now if I could just remember his name . . .

Mendieta

Master of Snowplow
SkiTalk Tester
Contributor
I knew one of the previous winemakers for Bell. But he's been gone several years. Headed to Oregon if I recall correctly. He would have made 2007 for sure. He was a helluva winemaker. Now if I could just remember his name . . .

And 2007 was a helluva vintage! Lots of sediment as I finished the bottle on day two. With slowly bbq'd short ribs, on hardwood charcoal, ribs cut across, "asado" style. Mmm ...

TS
Tony S

Tony S

Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
Paging @mdf! This monstrosity ... speechless. I want to say baby Chateauneuf, but there's nothing baby about it, unless it's Baby Huey. Probably shouldn't drink without a special dental consult beforehand. Not at all my thing, but ... impressive. Or something.

20170522_182802-01.jpeg 20170522_182148-01.jpeg

Uncle-A

In the words of Paul Simon "You can call me Al"
Skier
Thursday 25 May 2017 in National Wine Day so drink up. I am surprised that it is less than a hour to midnight on the east coast and no one posted this yet.

mdf

entering the Big Couloir
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
Ok, Freaky Friday is over.
Michael David Vinyard "Ink Spot" Cabernet Franc. Ink spot is their series of single, traditionally blending, varietals and (I think) single vinyard wines.

They are fun, big, over the top wines.

20170529_204743.jpg

Sponsor