• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Most Overrated/Underrated Anything

Muleski

So much better than a pro
Inactive
Paul Newman was a VERY legit driver. My dad and I both raced SCCA cars against him. I was late teens, early 20’s. My dad….mid 50’s. My uncle was a Datsun dealer, and was wired into things. We had two 510’s….which is what Newman raced at the time. Of course even when he started, his cars were all set up by Bob Sharp, and perfect. Big highlight was my getting to drive one at Lime Rock with Sharp in the passenger seat.

if I remember, Newman starred in the movie Winning, and had never driven. So he was sent, I think, to Bob Bondurant’s school. Guess he absolutely caught the bug.

He was fast, and good. And as I recall a very, very nice guy. Not the Hollywood star, or what I’d imagine today. He was Paul and my dad was Don. They were cordial.

i know that Newman was, once he figured it out, ALWAYS in the hunt for the yearly championships in whatever class he drove. He has to have won more than five. That’s impressive. I know that he won LeMans at least once, at has the record for the oldest winner. 24 hours at age 70+. Wow.

The film documentary that @Philpug mentions is “Winning: The Racing Life of Paul Newman.” It is a great one!

He was inducted into the SCCA HOF. He had incredible success as a team owner. And was very hands on. As a driver, always entered races as “P.L. Newman.”
Clearly his passion and he was able to pour a fortune into it.

The three or so years when he was climbing up the learning curve in the 510 were fun. I remember his last 280Z, which was a beast. Then if course his Porsche 935’s.

I think of all in Hollywood, and probably very few who were such great people.

Had to weigh in. Back to overrated watches………

Uncle-A

In the words of Paul Simon "You can call me Al"
Skier
He didn't just want to be a race car driver, he WAS one. I saw him race several times in USSAC races at Pocono back in the early 70s. He was driving Datsuns at the time and then moved on up. He did quite well. Somewhere I have a photo of him in the paddock area.
You erased the part where I said he raced his own vehicle. That Datsun was his car, I don't remember him having any sponsors like the professional drivers. I seem to remember him racing at Limerock track in CT. his home state.

snofun3

Putting on skis
Skier
No, Rolexes aren't perfect, but my GMT II, Yachtmaster and Datejust keep excellent time, losing maybe a minute a month. There's "pride in ownership" having some precious materials all wrapped up in a beautiful presentation and doing something useful like keeping time. And the appreciation of all of them in the past 5 years has been astronomical.
Yes, there's some additional maintenance cost, but that's the cost of doing business. We don't all own Chevy Malibu's either.
Sure, quartz will keep better time, but it doesn't matter, they are just throwaway items.

Tom K.

Skier Ordinaire
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Overrated: Reading about the shortcomings -- or lack thereof -- of Rolex watches! ;)

For Mink:

Overrated - Reeses PB Cups. Wrong balance, bad chocolate.

Overrated - Reeses Bite Size PB Cups: Good balance, still bad chocolate.

Underrated: Trader Joes Dark Chocolate PB Cups. Sublime! :ogbiggrin:

Jim McDonald

愛スキー
Skier
Overrated - wristwatches
Underrated - A proper sense of time

Uncle-A

Skier
Overrated - wristwatches
Underrated - A proper sense of time
I use a wristwatch and my phone now, but for years I used a pocket watch, because when I was a Telecom craftsman dealing with electricity I couldn't wear any jewelry because the metal was a good conductor.

cantunamunch

Meh
Skier
Overrated - Reeses PB Cups. Wrong balance, bad chocolate.

Overrated - Reeses Bite Size PB Cups: Good balance, still bad chocolate.

I'm actually convinced the specific PB mix Reeses use makes the choc taste worse - it's like the peanut butter mix they use has been re-fatted with hydro-degummed or acid-degummed oils.

There's not enough lecithin / phosphatides in the Reeses' PB to give the PB fat a good mouth feel - and that works against the fat balance of the choccy.

I can see why they'd do it - I'm sure it increases their flow rate, process speed and machine reliability. Tastes foul tho.

Last edited:

zircon

Out on the slopes
Skier
Underrated: Simply dunking high-quality dark chocolate into your PB of choice!
image.jpg

Or, for the lazy…

Uncle-A

Skier
Underrated, just showing up when/where you feel like it :cool:
There is a difference between being spontaneous and rude. Growing up my house had an open door policy to family and friends. My sister had several college girlfriends that were always welcome and my friends also could come by the house with our invitations. Every one in a while there would be an abuser of my family hospitality, you grin and bear it and they move on hopping they learned something. Some did and some didn't so don't be rude.

Shawn

Beep beep
Skier
I'm actually convinced the specific PB mix Reeses use makes the choc taste worse - it's like the peanut butter mix they use has been re-fatted with hydro-degummed or acid-degummed oils.

There's not enough lecithin / phosphatides in the Reeses' PB to give the PB fat a good mouth feel - and that works against the fat balance of the choccy.

I can see why they'd do it - I'm sure it increases their flow rate, process speed and machine reliability. Tastes foul tho.
+1 for the science

Do you think Reese's changed their peanut butter recipe in the last few decades? I remember it tasting better as a kid in the 80's. But I don't know whether I invented that in my head or my tastes simply changed.

Uncle-A

Skier
+1 for the science

Do you think Reese's changed their peanut butter recipe in the last few decades? I remember it tasting better as a kid in the 80's. But I don't know whether I invented that in my head or my tastes simply changed.
It may be that they reduced the sugar in the mix. Some time in the 90's there was a backlash against corn syrup sweetener and many companies cut back on how much they used.

crgildart

Gravity Slave
Skier
Underrated, just showing up when/where you feel like it :cool:
What's funny is I actually usually (99.999% of the time) feel like showing up 5-10 minutes early for EVERYTHING. Cute you you all assumed that meant always late.. I HATE being late.

Plus, time is money.. When you're late your stealing other peoples' time.. the people who had the next appointment.. the people who wasted 10 minutes doing nothing because you were late etc..

Last edited:

Sponsor

Staff online