• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Non Region Specific Most overrated ski destinations (according to you)

crosscountry

Sock Puppet
Skier
Pass Pulled
No, you said big vert is overrated. I'm replying that it's not because it gives you more options to find the good snow whether it's a 1000 vert chunk or a 5k vert chunk. More vert opens up those options. Now go take a lap and reread my post.
Where did I say that? How did I say that?

Oh right, I said it here:
What’s silky smooth up high turns into mash potato lower down. Or the lower section is nice and soft but you have to get through some boiler plate up high before.
But hey, if you need to repeat what I wrote by "disagreeing", be my guest! ;)

raisingarizona

Out on the slopes
Skier
Where did I say that? How did I say that?

Oh right, I said it here:

But hey, if you need to repeat what I wrote by "disagreeing", be my guest! ;)
"I just don’t get the desire for lots of vert."

This was in your post.

All I'm saying is that lots of vert gives you options. Options are good no?

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
I find that most Tahoe skiers have a poor understanding of how dramatically elevation affects snow quality between resorts mainly because they have only ever evaluated resorts with resort trail maps and haven't thought out why snow quality at resorts varies so much depending on elevation, terrain, and exposure. You and Phil ought to understand that clearly since you ski Mt Rose.
Oh I get that, but for me, I have to pass a lot of good skiing to get to Mammoth.
Ya know?

tromano

Goin' the way they're pointed...
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter

Doesn't look over rated to me.

markojp

mtn rep for the gear on my feet
Industry Insider
Instructor
SV is nice, but I guess I prefer a little more irregular terrain. Skied some of the best lift accessed buttery smooth corn I've ever skied in my life there though.

surfacehoar

Getting off the lift
Skier
1. The inbounds terrain skis huge if you're young and like hucking and steep stuff. This is why it's so hyped. It's not as great for casual older skiers.
2.The scenery to the south is beautiful looking out from the summit towards Cody, No Name and Rendezvous.
3.The town is like a cowboy Disneyworld. It's not real.
4.The parking has become a total shitshow.
5.The lines have become shit, especially when a lot of places are dry and Jxn is getting hammered. The tram used to be so awesome when you could get <2 box waits and ski untracked instant refill storm days.
6.The Raymer study plot makes a lot more sense than the summit. the summit gets wind blasted.
7.The village is so fancy now it makes me uncomfortable. I miss the Village Cafe days.
8.The side country has massive shots, you don't know it if that's your take on it. 4 Pines and the long steep lines in Granite can't be matched in practically any side country off a ski area in the USA.
9.There isn't that classic sort of Steamboat tree skiing for sure but the widely spaced trees make for some amazing skiing and the mountain skis well top to bottom on storm days.

I do think Jackson is a wonderful place to ski a top tier resort for sure. It's just that, for me Jackson didn't live up to the hype.

1. I do like the inbounds terrain, but the mountain skis way smaller than I was expecting and is more mellow than I was expecting. Corbets is like 500 vertical. Alta chutes are even shorter. Casper bowl area is around 1000 feet after you hike for it. Hobacks should be rated blue. It's great terrain no doubt but does feel like a step down compared to Whistler, Baker, Revy, KH, Alpental etc.
2. There are some beautiful views but again, compared to Whistler, Banff, Baker, Revy, KH, Alpental..... It's just not very pretty. I even think Summit county and LCC offer better scenery. Especially the scenery around town. Comparable to PC.
3. Agreed, and the cowboy vibe isn't for me.
4. Agreed.
5. I bet it was awesome back in the day.
6. Agreed.
7. I was expecting Teton Village to be busy and built up like Vail, Whistler Village or PC.
8. I'm most familiar with the lines off Cody and into Rock Springs. You're right I haven't skiing into Granite Creek, those lines are around 2000 vertical and look great. The first ski tour I ever did was White Queen at Whitewater. It's around 2000 vertical and I always viewed it as a short shot. Something people skied after work with a baby in their backpack (at least in the 90s). Nothing wrong with short shorts and mini golf. It's preferable a lot of the time. Greenslide at Revelstoke is 7000ft, I'd consider that a long run.
9. Agreed.

surfacehoar

Getting off the lift
Skier
You do realize that list is mostly in Canada, eh? ;)
I'm not sure I get your point, those are just areas I know best. I should have put Alta/Snowbird on the list too. A few others like Palisades or Silverton that I haven't skied are probably deserving.

Last edited:

James

Out There
Instructor
Hobacks are just as likely to be awful, whatever color they are. Refrozen sun baked whatever.

Kyle

Out on the slopes
Skier
I ski Jackson quite a bit and usually in the mid-January to mid-February time frame. The Hobacks and the other lower faces typically ski really well during that time frame. Both the Hobacks and Sublette Ridge were good to pretty good over President‘s Day weekend this year.

Tom K.

Skier Ordinaire
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
So much of of Under and Overrating of resorts has to do with the snow conditions when you experienced the area.

Pretty much :micdrop:

I just don’t get the desire for lots of vert.

To each their own. I absolutely adore long, constant, bench-free fall lines. A non-stop run at JH when the snow is good is religion.

Done going there unless it's a special group!

Ain't that the truth. A good group makes a trip just about anywhere a blast!

raisingarizona

Out on the slopes
Skier
I ski Jackson quite a bit and usually in the mid-January to mid-February time frame. The Hobacks and the other lower faces typically ski really well during that time frame. Both the Hobacks and Sublette Ridge were good to pretty good over President‘s Day weekend this year.
I’ve had countless TTB deep runs down the Hobacks. One could argue that they are the best lift served in bounds powder ski runs in the country.

Last edited:

no edge

Out on the slopes
Skier
The Whistler garbage bags are clear plastic with their logo and arm and neck holes already cut. Hood? You are expected to be wearing a rainproof helmet.
Well for three bucks... "what more you want"

markojp

mtn rep for the gear on my feet
Industry Insider
Instructor
Dare I say it? The Hakuba Valley... Happo One, Happo 47, Goryutomi, Tsugaike, etc... trouble is the skiing above the lifts is just amazing, and the inbounds just seems sort of ok'esque. If you told me I had to stay inbounds, I'd rather just ski at my little local hill while I lived there.

Sponsor