• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

MarkP

Saturday, and Saturday, and Saturday...
Skier
Liberty. Friday, Feb 2.

Rain overnight, then freeze. All but two sections regroomed before opening; Upper Strata and Lower Eastwind left bumped. The day started out in the upper 20s, windy, temperature dropped all day. The corduroy were rumble strips until enough traffic turned them into a thin layer of granular over hardpack. The sun/cloud mix never had a chance to soften things up, but was still able to get an edge in. The crowd was non existent until the mid afternoon after school pickup. 6+ hours lapping the hill with two short breaks. Hopefully all the practice-makes-permanent effort was on the good side.

Not comparable to what Seven Springs looked like in the post above, but still a much better than average day for the region.

Practically empty.
20180202_083455.jpg
No natural snow off the trails. (longing for years gone by when we could cut through those areas)
20180202_092854.jpg
Ice to traverse from the common area.
20180202_090114.jpg
Bumps look nice from the lift, but too iced for me to enjoy.
20180202_092631.jpg

crgildart

Gravity Slave
Skier
Sugar Mountain today. Busiest crazy insane packed ski day this century. Farthest satellite lot was full when we arrived. Guy just shrugged his shoulders and said everything was full. Made our own spot thanks to awd. Line for lift tickets was easily 100 people deep. Got out to the lifts and skied one blue with my daughter who still prefers greens but the line hahaha. One run and she begged to go in then tapped out. I'm still counting this as a ski day! Oh and our hotel room heater appears to be broken. They are trying to repair it while I'm typing this post.
WP_20180203_003.jpg

Wendy

Resurrecting the Oxford comma
Admin
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
No pics, but I enjoyed velvety corduroy and some nice snow in the glades at Jack Frost, though it was thin in spots there. Mountain had about 3”-4” of snow Thursday night. More is expected tomorrow.

crgildart

Gravity Slave
Skier
Ski patrol said the quad at Beech Mountain broke down... Again.. This morning. That's why Sugar was so packed.

Shawn

Beep beep
Skier
Ob5AmZm.jpg

Sleet and freezing rain at Blue Mountain. Great conditions early on. Then I got encased head-to-toe in ice. Actually had to stop skiing because I couldn't see out of my goggles!

crgildart

Gravity Slave
Skier
Ob5AmZm.jpg

Sleet and freezing rain at Blue Mountain. Great conditions early on. Then I got encased head-to-toe in ice. Actually had to stop skiing because I couldn't see out of my goggles!

That's why we pushed the ski day to Saturday instead of today as originally planned even though the room was booked for Saturday night. This morning I trudged through ankle deep slush to the car at 10 am. Had just turned to rain and sleet. 33 degrees most of the way home heading south.. Barely safe to drive in. Next weekend isn't looking any better. We have a ski bunkhouse at WinterPlace booked Friday and Saturday night. Bringing lots of shells and ski pants, gloves.. I don't think there's a dryer in the bunkhouse, but would be nice if there is..

Wendy

Resurrecting the Oxford comma
Admin
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Ob5AmZm.jpg

You just needed to go a little further north....we had mostly snow at Jack Frost.....occasional changes to a sleet and snow mix, but overall heavily falling snow with some nice powder building up by mid afternoon Sunday. The drive home was quite interesting!

MarkP

Skier
Whitetail, Liberty and Roundtop. The "Little3" (not to be confused with the "Big3" up in Canada).
I'm heading to one of them tomorrow. Anybody interested in getting in a few runs?

MarkP

Skier
ON3P demos at 7Springs/Willis this w/e, if anyone's interested.

Tempting... but at 3.5 hours, that's outside my day trip range when driving solo.

I will be up there on the 23rd with a group from work.

crgildart

Gravity Slave
Skier
Mid Atlantic conditions this weekend. Saturday 90%-100% rain from 9am til 10 pm Sunday. Oh well, should be fun for a few minutes here and there. Yep, this is our big ski house weekend with the scouts LOL

MarkP

Skier
This leads me to conclude that someone needs a BSL buddy.

I'm TLA ignorant.
Boot Sole Length?
British Sign Language?
Breed-Specific Legislation?

crgildart

Gravity Slave
Skier
We could very well be looking at the end of the season very soon. Flood warnings up for Saturday and Sunday. Temps in the 50s and above all next week with more heavy rains coming Wednesday through Friday, a brief break Saturday, than more next Sunday. Since most places don't make snow after President's Day I have a hunch tomorrow will be the peak of open terrain with quite a bit getting washed out this weekend and next week.

My ski house crew was mulling over whether to eat the costs and cancel for tonight and tomorrow night slopeside, but I'm on the "let's ski anyway" side because I don't think there will be any snow left to ski on in two weeks and President's Day Saturday could very well be biggest crowds of the season slamming a WROD offering.

Jim Kenney

Travel Correspondent
Team Gathermeister
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
We could very well be looking at the end of the season very soon. Flood warnings up for Saturday and Sunday. Temps in the 50s and above all next week with more heavy rains coming Wednesday through Friday, a brief break Saturday, than more next Sunday. Since most places don't make snow after President's Day I have a hunch tomorrow will be the peak of open terrain with quite a bit getting washed out this weekend and next week.

My ski house crew was mulling over whether to eat the costs and cancel for tonight and tomorrow night slopeside, but I'm on the "let's ski anyway" side because I don't think there will be any snow left to ski on in two weeks and President's Day Saturday could very well be biggest crowds of the season slamming a WROD offering.

Grrr. Too bad it's so far to VT, they may get 8-10" of snow out of this weekend's precip.

It's frustrating to think the mid-Atlantic ski season is slipping away when things never really blossomed very well! I'm hoping to ski four days locally over the Prez Weekend. I'm afraid the white stuff could be a little brown by then. I'm ok with skiing wet spring snow as long as it's not actively pouring while doing so :-o

crgildart

Gravity Slave
Skier
Next Saturday looks feasible, but how much snow will be left after all this flooding? Friday and Sunday look very wet at present forecast.

JohnL

Working and turning
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter

Too early to stick a fork in the Mid A ski season. West Virginia averages 25 inches of snow in March - and the March snowfall often is the inverse of the rest of the year. Anecdote, I'll admit. Last five years snowfall in March: 31, 12, 27, 37, 69.

Sponsor