• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.
TS
dbostedo

dbostedo

Asst. Gathermeister
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
Yes, I was planning on taking a private lesson. The L3 instructor at Whitetail sounds great! That is one of the closer areas and I'm able to get discounted lift tickets through work. How long are your lessons typically?

Thanks!

I've taken both 1 and 2 hour lessons. 2 is better in my view, but it's really expensive, so it depends on what you want. Maybe start with 1 and see how it goes. I'll PM some info.

crgildart

Gravity Slave
Skier
All systems GO for Winterplace WV Feb 10th and 11th with Boy Scout Troop 461. Gonna be fun. Hoping for nice, hero snow, easy skiing with good coverage. Some soft bumps might be nice too. Powder day would be fun for me and at least one other dad who skis well, but not so much for the youths on rentals in their beginner/intermediate lessons..

MarkP

Saturday, and Saturday, and Saturday...
Skier
I'm going to be at Whitetail tomorrow, probably like 8:30 - 2:00, if anyone wants to make some turns.

I just made a last minute decision to get out on the snow tomorrow. Was thinking Liberty, but I can be swayed to head out on I-70. Send me a PM.

TS
dbostedo

dbostedo

Asst. Gathermeister
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
Busy Friday at whitetail... kids appear to be off school today. Skiing with @MarkP and the snow is pretty nice. Going to be 40 degrees today though.

20180126_100846.jpg

crgildart

Gravity Slave
Skier
Forgot that not so little anymore sister was a bit disappointed that the scout trip facilities lean towards an all boys only accommodation. So, I've booked a room in Boone Saturday Feb 3rd for a father daughter ski trip. We will be skiing either Sugar or Appalachian Sunday Feb 4th. It all depends on if Big Birch is open at Sugar which it should be so very likely Sugar next weekend Sunday. @Old boot and other NC/SC folks heads up if you're around next Sunday. No pressure, Saturday will probably be a much better day for most with snow forecast all day Friday. Of course we know that can all change a little or a lot before then.

Plan is to drive up mid day Saturday, grab an early dinner, check in.. hit the indoor pool, then head for Sugar (or Appalachian) Sunday morning for a couple hours, (3-4 hours tops) then head home.

skidrew

Getting off the lift
Skier
I think Montgomery County has a teachers' workday today (Friday 1/26). Maybe other counties in MD too.

TS
dbostedo

dbostedo

Asst. Gathermeister
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
I think Montgomery County has a teachers' workday today (Friday 1/26). Maybe other counties in MD too.

Fairfax county in VA was off today too... good for the resorts. Not so great for crowd free slopes. Still Whitetail was nice.... skied the morning with MarkP (nice to meet you ogsmile ) and got in about 15K before bailing at lunch with some tired legs.

I broke out my new Atomic Vantage 90's for the first time... kind of a inappropriate ski for conditions, but I hadn't been on them yet. The snow got a little sloppy by lunch. All in all, a nice day though.

A few pics...

When I arrive on Friday, and the lift corrals are up, they're expecting it to be busy :
Whitetail 012618 001 DC ACR Conv.jpg

They were blowing in the morning... left a very nice surface once they quit blowing :
Whitetail 012618 007 DC ACR Conv.jpg

Mark on the lift :
Whitetail 012618 015 DC ACR Conv.jpg

My new skis! :
Whitetail 012618 020 DC ACR Conv.jpg

Saw this girl in the lift line... One-sie fans, perhaps they're making a comeback! :
Whitetail 012618 024 DC ACR Conv.jpg

MarkP

Skier
Fairfax county in VA was off today too... good for the resorts. Not so great for crowd free slopes. Still Whitetail was nice.... skied the morning with MarkP (nice to meet you ogsmile ) and got in about 15K before bailing at lunch with some tired legs.

I broke out my new Atomic Vantage 90's for the first time... kind of a inappropriate ski for conditions, but I hadn't been on them yet. The snow got a little sloppy by lunch. All in all, a nice day though.

A few pics...

When I arrive on Friday, and the lift corrals are up, they're expecting it to be busy :
View attachment 38145

They were blowing in the morning... left a very nice surface once they quit blowing :
View attachment 38142

Mark on the lift :
View attachment 38144

My new skis! :
View attachment 38146

Saw this girl in the lift line... One-sie fans, perhaps they're making a comeback! :
View attachment 38147

It was great meeting up with @dbostedo and getting in some runs. I managed to make it to 2:30pm... need to work on stamina for Utah.

crgildart

Gravity Slave
Skier
^^^That looks like a lot of fun!

We're confirmed at Sugar next weekend. Probably Sunday morning before the SuperBowl. So far it's me, teen daughter, and @Old boot. Will watch the weather, but Sunday is the target unless weather pushes us back to Saturday instead. We're staying on Boone Saturday night so either day works but probably not both. Kid's only good for a couple hours before she gets tired of skiing.

MarkP

Skier
Princeton Sports is having a customer appreciation / demo day Friday, Feb. 16 at Whitetail. Only $35 for an extended day lift ticket. I've been told there will be reps with demos of all the brands they carry. Stop by one of the stores for a voucher.

upload_2018-1-28_20-48-23.jpeg

crgildart

Gravity Slave
Skier
The snow/rain/snow forecast is now looking to hit Blowing Rock on Sunday morning instead of Saturday evening. If that keeps trending to rain/snow Sunday we will be shifting our ski plans to Saturday. I'm pretty sure it will be more snow up at the mountain. Great conditions for good skiers.. Not so great for my very novice daughter and it rained on us last time I got her out for a couple runs. So, @Old boot I'll call you Friday night to let you know what we end up deciding to do... Either Saturday noon to 4 or Sunday 10-2, whenever the ski will be most dry..

crgildart

Gravity Slave
Skier
Leaning heavy to mid day Saturday. Probably noon to 4:30. Sunday is looking very VERY wet, and not of the snowy variety. Monday morning might be pretty good but we'll ski Saturday mid day, stay in town Saturday night so the kid can hit the hotel pool, then head home in the rain Sunday morning..

crgildart

Gravity Slave
Skier
Ok we're on for Sugar tomorrow mid day madness. I'll be skiing the blues, big birch, Oma's Meadow, with my daughter and @Old boot

Sponsor