• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.
TS
luliski

luliski

Making fresh tracks
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
^ I fall into the training for a specific activity: I like to race. Not maintaining a running base during winter makes training later in the year tougher. Plus I like running (and other outdoor "cardio") for the mental health benefits. I agree that strength training is important and something I need to do, but it's so boring, and it's hard to find the time. I do core strengthening just about every day though.

coskigirl

Skiing the powder
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
^ I fall into the training for a specific activity: I like to race. Not maintaining a running base during winter makes training later in the year tougher. Plus I like running (and other outdoor "cardio") for the mental health benefits. I agree that strength training is important and something I need to do, but it's so boring, and it's hard to find the time. I do core strengthening just about every day though.

I also find strength training boring but have been blessed for several years with a 2x per week November-February strength training for runners which includes plyometrics and core work. The social aspect helps me deal with the fact that I have to be inside for a workout. It also really helps my skiing.

TS
luliski

luliski

Making fresh tracks
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
I also find strength training boring but have been blessed for several years with a 2x per week November-February strength training for runners which includes plyometrics and core work. The social aspect helps me deal with the fact that I have to be inside for a workout. It also really helps my skiing.
The problem is that on my ski days (any day I'm not working), I don't want to spend the time, and on work days (12.5 hours long), I don't have the time. But I'm going to try to find something like this when ski season is over.

coskigirl

Skiing the powder
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
The problem is that on my ski days (any day I'm not working), I don't want to spend the time, and on work days (12.5 hours long), I don't have the time. But I'm going to try to find something like this when ski season is over.

I totally get it. When I have long work days (especially when traveling) I find it really difficult, er impossible, to get a workout of any type in. My normal class ends in a couple of weeks and I won't be doing the full running program this year so I'm trying to decide what to do until it's light enough after work to get regular rides in.

TS
luliski

luliski

Making fresh tracks
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
I totally get it. When I have long work days (especially when traveling) I find it really difficult, er impossible, to get a workout of any type in. My normal class ends in a couple of weeks and I won't be doing the full running program this year so I'm trying to decide what to do until it's light enough after work to get regular rides in.
Spin workouts? I tried a trainer at home, but that's incredibly boring!

tball

Unzipped
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
@luliski be careful about running and skiing the same day, especially if you start skiing harder.

I've found injuries are my most significant running limiter, and skiing and running don't mix well. During ski season I'll take at least a day off between running and skiing, preferably two.

My running goals through ski season are just to run a couple of days per week and remain uninjured. I usually won't do any speed work unless there is a dry spell when I don't ski. I can get my speed back within 4-6 weeks that way, as opposed to taking all summer if I'm injured.

For me, swimming is the only thing that feels good the same day as skiing. It's great to get in the water and get the blood flowing, preferably with a workout where I'm not concerned about my times or yardage, i.e., not masters. Swimming at altitude is also a huge adjustment that requires a significant reset of expectations. It's really good for your swimming and overall aerobic capacity after returning home, though.

TS
luliski

luliski

Making fresh tracks
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
@luliski be careful about running and skiing the same day, especially if you start skiing harder.

I've found injuries are my most significant running limiter, and skiing and running don't mix well. During ski season I'll take at least a day off between running and skiing, preferably two.

My running goals through ski season are just to run a couple of days per week and remain uninjured. I usually won't do any speed work unless there is a dry spell when I don't ski. I can get my speed back within 4-6 weeks that way, as opposed to taking all summer if I'm injured.

For me, swimming is the only thing that feels good the same day as skiing. It's great to get in the water and get the blood flowing, preferably with a workout where I'm not concerned about my times or yardage, i.e., not masters. Swimming at altitude is also a huge adjustment that requires a significant reset of expectations. It's really good for your swimming and overall aerobic capacity after returning home, though.
I'm just trying to maintain some sort of running base, so I'm really only running 30 minutes three times a week or so (it's not much of a base). I'm just doing easy running. I have had some back problems in the past couple of years, so I'm doing easy running, concentrating on form. If I run on the same day I ski, I run first, and then only ski a couple of hours.
For me, it's always good to get in the water, but I definitely have trouble swimming after skiing. It feels the same as swimming after cycling: my hip flexors feel tight and it takes about 30 minutes to loosen up. I just did another Masters swim workout today, luckily I had my own lane. I'm definitely out of swim shape after 6 weeks of not very regular swimming.

Nancy Hummel

Ski more, talk less.
Instructor
SkiTalk Supporter
Pilates. An hour work out does wonders.

I like to go 2x per week but usually end up going once.

I walk my dog up the mountain for 1/2 hour before skiing. After skiing is reserved for après.

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
Funny that I looked at this thread while coming to the fitness and recovery area to post this video by Time Magazine
Skiing is a ridiculously good workout.

For me, I used to lose weight in the winter and gain some back in the summer. Now I gain in the summer and don't lose but also don't gain in the winter. I guess I need to figure out a different system because the old one isn't working as I get older.

TS
luliski

luliski

Making fresh tracks
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Funny that I looked at this thread while coming to the fitness and recovery area to post this video by Time Magazine
Skiing is a ridiculously good workout.

For me, I used to lose weight in the winter and gain some back in the summer. Now I gain in the summer and don't lose but also don't gain in the winter. I guess I need to figure out a different system because the old one isn't working as I get older.
The link didn't work, but I found the video and watched it. I just need to be a less lazy skier, I guess. I lose weight in the summer because that's when I do lots of cycling, plus I don't eat as much when it's hot.

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
The link didn't work, but I found the video and watched it. I just need to be a less lazy skier, I guess. I lose weight in the summer because that's when I do lots of cycling, plus I don't eat as much when it's hot.
I like back yard bbq, patio parties, chips & guacamole, and copious amounts of Margaritas in the summer. This may be impacting my inability to lose weight in the summer. :doh:

Monique

bounceswoosh
Skier
I like back yard bbq, patio parties, chips & guacamole, and copious amounts of Margaritas in the summer. This may be impacting my inability to lose weight in the summer. :doh:

It's funny. I mountain bike in the summer, but then I have this HUGE appetite for burgers immediately after ...

jack97

Out on the slopes
Skier
It's funny. I mountain bike in the summer, but then I have this HUGE appetite for burgers immediately after ...

After a long day of doing something fun like, hiking, outdoor cycling or skiing, I use to feel I deserve a reward and will eat a burger or have some ice cream. In my mind, the long day of fun exercise offsets the calories I will put into my body. What works for me is to stick to my normal meals and stop the reward thinking.

I do love the smell and taste of a good burger or a steak but I save that for only special occasions but a long day of outdoor activities is not one of them.

Monique

bounceswoosh
Skier
After a long day of doing something fun like, hiking, outdoor cycling or skiing, I use to feel I deserve a reward and will eat a burger or have some ice cream. In my mind, the long day of fun exercise offsets the calories I will put into my body. What works for me is to stick to my normal meals and stop the reward thinking.

I do love the smell and taste of a good burger or a steak but I save that for only special occasions but a long day of outdoor activities is not one of them.

For me, it's not about reward so much as ravening hunger. The kind where you become truly irrational and can't think straight and Need. Food. Now.

TS
luliski

luliski

Making fresh tracks
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
For me, it's not about reward so much as ravening hunger. The kind where you become truly irrational and can't think straight and Need. Food. Now.
That happens to me after long hilly road rides. Sometimes I'll be more hungry the next day too.

TS
luliski

luliski

Making fresh tracks
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
And I think I drink more beer and eat out more during ski season.

jack97

Out on the slopes
Skier
That happens to me after long hilly road rides. Sometimes I'll be more hungry the next day too.

Call me strange... won't be the first time. I seek hunger pains.

Last edited:

Monique

bounceswoosh
Skier
Call me strange... won't be the first time. I seek hunger pains.

I don't think that's quite the same. Maybe. I think technically mine may be a low blood sugar issue, though I'm not diabetic. Multiple people in my family have reported the same thing - when they're sufficiently hungry, they can't concentrate as well, have trouble thinking, etc.

I actually think this problem significantly reduced when I was restricting my sugar intake. Hmmm.

Sponsor

Staff online