• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

TheArchitect

Working to improve all the time
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Like Bigtinnie, I'm looking forward to what's going to be offered.
The MCP has been gold to me and some friends here.
This sounds like it could be something even better.
:popcorn:

Me too. The Ikon pass has potential for me but if it doesn't pan out, menu-wise, then I'll probably stick with the MCP.

MarkP

Saturday, and Saturday, and Saturday...
Skier
Is there a compilation of multi-mountain passes on the site?
Yeah, there's The Google, but if it's already been done and available, I'm more than happy to not repeat that effort.

TheArchitect

Working to improve all the time
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Is there a compilation of multi-mountain passes on the site?
Yeah, there's The Google, but if it's already been done and available, I'm more than happy to not repeat that effort.

Not yet. the FAQ said more info was coming in a few weeks

SkiNurse

Spontaneous Christy
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
Pretty stoked. Depending on the final details & price, I might be dumping the Epic Local Pass.

at_nyc

Getting off the lift
Pass Pulled
On the one hand, I'm excited. That's a long list of very good mountains in their collection.

But on the other hand, I'm worried. How expensive will the pass cost? How many days in each mountain? Can it be used on holidays such as Christmas & President's week? Or will it cost considerable extra for the "higher tier" pass without blackout dates???

We've been having it good with the MCP. No guarantee the new Ikon pass will be similarly structured, and equally cost competitive.

Slim

Making fresh tracks
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
what intrigues me is the statement "you choose..." i am thinking this could be a cafeteria based program but the devil will be in the details about how many days and the cost. I still do not see my Steamboat $1150.00 pass going down in price. I would love to see copper days added but right now, I pay 159 for 5 days at copper.
you paid 160for 5 days at Copper?
MAX pass add on was 330, which includes those 5 days at Copper as well as at 38 other resorts.

I am sad to see the max pass go, it was such a good deal for us.

Last edited:
Reactions: RJS

Slim

Making fresh tracks
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Being a usual New England Pass holder (Loon/Sunday River/Sugarloaf), I'm intrigued. Hoping they have different restrictions than the MAX Pass. The most frustrating thing was getting a MAX Pass as an add on to a New England Pass...you don't get the 5 days at Loon, SR or the Loaf...whereas other mountains only "lose" 5 days to their home mountain, New England Pass holders "lose" 15 days.
How did you ‘loose’ access to you home mountain with a MAX add-on? Don’t you still get the same unlimited skiing as someone who ONLY has a season pass at that resort does?

Muleski

So much better than a pro
Inactive
Funny, my phone's been pretty busy today, as well.
Friends and family "somewhat" involved and being hounded by other friends who are clamoring for "answers" before the details are all sorted out and finalized, including both the menu, how the options can be packaged, and the costs.

So, I think we need to wait. That simple.

I got a heads up last week as to where they were headed by adding the partner resorts. And I was not surprised to see that it's NOT every POWDR property, for example, or every Boyne property. Not shocked that some regions {PNW} are pretty much out.

I think we knew that Alterra would have a combined pass program, of some sort. It's not going to be Epic 2.0, from what I'm lead to believe. This thing could have lots of permutations. You might buy seasons pass to your "home mountain" and then buy add on options. You might by a regional pass, for lack a better term. Think CO. Maybe it's all of the properties with unlimited access. Maybe there's a less expensive option that limits, say, access to Aspen. The chances of an Aspen season pass being less than it currently is, I'm told, are pretty much zero. There is no reason for Aspen SkiCo to do so.

This has been pitched since day one to those invested as a portfolio of high end resorts. KSL, in and outside of skiing, has a track record of acquiring best in class, gold standard properties. Top quality assets. Not just piling up ski areas.

All we can do is wait for the details, IMO. I was speaking to somebody who does a lot of work with Aspen SkiCo today, and as an example, it sounds like deals involving SkiCo may look like a season pass similar to this year's with options to access the others on the roster. Maybe it's the rest of CO as a package, maybe it's pick and select a certain number of days among a number of resorts. Who knows?

Blackout days? Probably an option, I would guess.

It's kind of a blank canvas. Based on what little I hear, this is about access to high end properties, at a bit of a price cut, or with certain other services that are normally not available. But NOT driven by low price.

Think about CMH. It might be a preferred process {other than their repeat customers} to book and not get shut out. Could be housing upgrades at some lodges. Could be a deal on more vertical. It's not going to be dates that they basically already sell out, now at gutted prices. No.

A lot of Epic is driven by price; "unbeatable price." It sounds like this is about high end, top quality. One of the guys who I know inside this thing has reminded me that in most things in life you don't equate top quality and lowest price. Selling a huge number of Epic passes is critical to VR. They are playing a different ballgame than this group seems to be. I think this could be good for both of them, and for a lot of us. But if you home area is staying out of this, or was not invited to the dance, it might look not too great right now.

The devil will be in the details.....

Last edited:

Slim

Making fresh tracks
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Well I am sad. MCP was already an option, for those who liked that collection, but now we lose the excellent (for me) MAX pass.

I got $400 season passes for Copper, with free kids passes, so $800 family pass, Then a 330 add on MAXpass:

So I get 5 days with no Blackout dates at the hill just north of me(where 5 discounted tickets would end up similar anyway), 10 days in Big Cottonwood canyon, 3 days at Powder Mountain, 5 each at Winterpark, Taos, Steamboat, Big Sky, Mt Bachelor, Fernie and Kickinghorse, all with no blackout dates. And 3 days at Grand Targhee with lodging required. I don’t want to hear from people who out-ski all that! :ogcool: And for well under $2000 for a family of four.

I have a hard time believing this is going to come even close to that.

Reactions: RJS

Chris Walker

Ullr Is Lord
Skier
Hang on to yer wallet! Just kidding. This could be good. I'll await the details before judging. They said the RMSP+ is now dead, but I was encouraged to still see Copper's logo included in the Ikon Pass web page. I just hope there's an option that's not too much more than RMSP+. I don't like the idea of paying for days at resorts I'll never get to.

New2

Out on the slopes
Skier
Is this an event that is going to cause solitude and Brighton to merge in some fashion?

Seems like an easy way to compete in SLC, and the merger requires no new construction to complete.

I'd say there's at least some chance that Brighton was excluded from this deal because there's a pending sale to Royal Street (owners of Solitude, who are sitting on tons of cash). But I don't think this the IKON will cause a merger. My take is that Brighton is already competing very effectively in the local market; and the current Big Cottonwood Pass products have never sold all that well; and Solitude does decent business with a very different price point than Brighton's. I don't really see those dynamics threatened by IKON.

I wouldn’t stress too much. Most people if given the choice are hitting Alta/Snowbird over Deer Valley. :D

I think the dollar signs indicate otherwise. I find it hard to believe that all those people choosing to spend big bucks at DV are doing so because they don't have the choice of Alta or Snowbird.

I got a heads up last week as to where they were headed by adding this partner resorts. And I was not surprised to see that it's NOT every POWDR property, for example, or every Boyne property. Not shocked that some regions {PNW} are pretty much out.

Do you interpret the decision to bypass the PNW, Michigan, Las Vegas, and Sacramento-local markets as driven by Alterra or Boyne/Powdr?

A lot of Epic is driven by price; "unbeatable price." It sounds like this is about high end, top quality.

I agree in general. In the specific case of the front range areas, though, this is harder to see. Eldora in particular is neither high end nor top quality, and Copper/WP haven't been to date. I think there will need to be something akin to the old RMSP+ at a price competitive with Epic Local unless Alterra really wants to try to drive out a big chunk of the locals--and I suspect that positioning WP too pricy is going to put Alterra's operating agreement at risk.

Jeff_CT

Booting up
Skier
View attachment 38074

My phone is exploding with pissed locals who feel slighted that Pico was excluded in this deal.

Above is an exchange sent via text to myself via Instagram. Highlighting is the author.

That’s because the village is finally being built!!! and we all know that one of the original requirements for the village was.... that they have to build the interconnect!!!! Pico is to be no more!

In all seriousness I’d love to see this happen but I doubt it will. Pico is out because this is a premier pass option. Locals can still get the K/ Pico season pass and likely an add on for the Ikon.

Lauren

AKA elemmac
SkiTalk Tester
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
How did you ‘loose’ access to you home mountain with a MAX add-on? Don’t you still get the same unlimited skiing as someone who ONLY has a season pass at that resort does?

Yes I have unlimited (or limited...if you go with a Silver pass which has blackout dates) but for the same price you’re getting less for the add on MAX pass...don’t recall the cost nor the number of mountains so I’m going to talk figuratively, say $369 for 10 mountains, 5 days each. A Season pass holder for 1 mountain gets 45 days for $369; those with multiple mountain passes get 30 days for $369. That’s why I put lose in quotes, you’re not really losing the days, you’re just getting less for the same cost.

Edit: this is probably more of an annoyance with loon/sr/loaf, that I can’t buy a season pass to just one of those mountains, then get a max pass for the other two to go a few times a year.

Last edited:

LKLA

Out on the slopes
Skier
We were told the pricing will be realeased mid February so we have less than a month to speculate.

"In coming weeks, the Denver-based company will outline specifics of the Ikon Pass, which will be offered for sale this spring."

Wade

Out on the slopes
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
I think the dollar signs indicate otherwise. I find it hard to believe that all those people choosing to spend big bucks at DV are doing so because they don't have the choice of Alta or Snowbird.

I don't think there's any doubt DV has a large customer base willing to pay a premium to ski there. However i don't think that customer base has much of an overlap with the type of skiers who'll buy an IKON pass.

People will buy the IKON pass to ski Snowbird / Alta / Jackson / Big Sky / Aspen. Speaking for myself and the people I know who ski these mountains, maybe IKON pass holders will ski a day at DV during a trip to AltaBird because it's "free", but it won't be somewhere they'll plan a trip around.

I don't see the presence of DV on the pass driving IKON sales unless it's structured / priced in a way that when planning a DV vacation, it makes more sense to buy an IKON pass rather than pay for x number of days at window rates.

Sponsor

Staff online