• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

mikel

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Thanks for sharing that. Do you guys know if you will be able to buy it per region or will it be an all or nothing? Just the Rockies is great! Talk about an upgraded RMSP+ and then some.

Ok I just found and read the faq. I think I have my answer. And the answer to the Deer Valley allowing snow boarding is in there too.

Last edited:

Eleeski

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Does this mean my Squaw gold pass will work at Big Bear this weekend?

It's really expensive to ski without some kind of pass. I wonder if this will make that worse - or better if our passes cooperate more.

Eric

E221b

New Yorker Dreaming of the Mountains
Skier
According to the FAQ, the Mountain Collective Pass will still be going strong next season, but no more M.A.X. pass -- that will be rolled into an IKON Pass. So yay for the Mountain Collective!

Monique

bounceswoosh
Skier

mdf

entering the Big Couloir
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
Not sure which part this is a reaction to. But you are ok on the snowboarders.

From the faq:
"Will
SNOWBOARDING BE ALLOWED AT DEER VALLEY OR ALTA SKI AREA IN 2018-2019?
Answer: At this time, there is no change in operations at either destination, and snowboarders will not have access."

mikel

Making fresh tracks
Skier
It is interesting that they picked up the Powdr resorts, Jackson, Big Sky, Alta, and Snowbird, but not Sun Valley or the other resorts in the Mountain Collective. I wonder what that means?

Who knows how much it will cost?

I bet the "full unlimited access" will be $$$$$

A few passes have been dumped, like the RMSP+, but the MC will still be around, at least for next season. It will be interesting to see how much tailoring will be allowed to create a pass.

Monique

bounceswoosh
Skier
Stoked. Short Vail stock now.

This may be more compelling for tourists; I don't know. For those of us who already chose to align with the Epic pass on the front range, I don't see how it changes anything. Except maybe fewer crowds during holidays if it's successful? Works for me!

Started at 53

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Not sure which part this is a reaction to. But you are ok on the snowboarders.

DV will be our home mountain, and I am guessing that being part of a pass will make it difficult to limit the skiers as DV has in the past. Good to hear that the snowboarders are not allowed. But I bet that changes in time too unfortunately

I am a homer, and very happy to just keep DV as is with a high priced season pass and limited ticket sales.

Logistically a pass has to increase skier numbers, especially in a low tide year like this year when DV has very good snow making ability.

I will wait and see, but I don’t like the looks of things at this time

Green08

Front Range Skier
Skier
The Ikon Pass will have a major impact in New England. The most popular resorts in VT, NH, and Maine are now on one pass. Plus the Montreal/Ottawa market with Tremblant.

I think Alterra took the best approach of having a "MAX Pass" type East coast foundation for destination travelers, and then the highly curated list of Western resorts in the tradition of MCP.

Green08

Front Range Skier
Skier
Big looser in New England is Triple Peaks with Okemo, Mt Sunapee and Crested Butte. They seem ripe to be acquired, or desperately need to find another set of partners in this new landscape.

Started at 53

Making fresh tracks
Skier
How is a mountain/resort compensated when it is part of a large ski pass?

Do they get $X per pass skier visit? Do they get a set % of the overall sales? How would the percentages be agreed upon as not all have the same visit pull.

Ron

Seeking the next best ski
SkiTalk Tester
what intrigues me is the statement "you choose..." i am thinking this could be a cafeteria based program but the devil will be in the details about how many days and the cost. I still do not see my Steamboat $1150.00 pass going down in price. I would love to see copper days added but right now, I pay 159 for 5 days at copper.

jmeb

Enjoys skiing.
Skier
This may be more compelling for tourists; I don't know. For those of us who already chose to align with the Epic pass on the front range, I don't see how it changes anything. Except maybe fewer crowds during holidays if it's successful? Works for me!

I think it matters in that this makes the RMSP+ even more attractive to front range skiers. It has significantly better drive-able weekend / week long destination skiing than does the Epic at this point. Epic has Park City that is driveable, and Vail/BC. IKON will have Steamboat, Aspen, Deer Valley/Alta/Snowbird, Jackson/Big Sky.

Again -- this changes if you own / seasonally rent at the base of an Epic resort. Most Front Range skiers do not.

Sponsor

Staff online