• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Posaune

sliding
Skier
Who had the foamed Trappeur ski boots back in the day ?
I had Trappeurs, but they were leather. The first buckle boots I ever owned!
images.jpg

James

Out There
Instructor
Who had the foamed Trappeur ski boots back in the day ?

Not those older foamed ones, but had these late (and probably well passed prime) Trappeur boots.

IMG_1493.JPG

Absurdly heavy. I was young, thought they were awesome. I'm sure they were at least 1 shell too large for me. That metal rod in the back was like 5/16 inch thick. The Lange Tii's that replaced them felt really, really light

Uncle-A

In the words of Paul Simon "You can call me Al"
Skier
Who remembers cutting the Inseam of their jeans so they would fit over the top of their ski boots?

Uncle-A

Skier
Not those older foamed ones, but had these late (and probably well passed prime) Trappeur boots.

View attachment 38847
Absurdly heavy. I was young, thought they were awesome. I'm sure they were at least 1 shell too large for me. That metal rod in the back was like 5/16 inch thick. The Lange Tii's that replaced them felt really, really light
The Trappeur boot had the Narrowest Last of any of the boots I ever sold. When anyone came in to the shop and said they had narrow feet that was the boot for them.

James

Out There
Instructor
The Trappeur boot had the Narrowest Last of any of the boots I ever sold. When anyone came in to the shop and said they had narrow feet that was the boot for them.
Interesting. I bought mine from a shop known for deals. Probably spent 15 -30 minutes. As I do have a narrow foot maybe there was some store input.

Bob Simpson

Putting on skis
Skier
I remember: Making sure to put my lace up la Dolomites in the boot tree so the soles would stay flat.; Being lectured by Mrs. Hausman, owner of Hausman's Ski and College Shop, to only use Kiwi shoe polish as it wouldn't soften the leather. (as a funny aside, the ski wax was right next to the jock straps!); Trying to decide whether or not to buy a season pass at Bridger Bowl by counting the number of days I could go skiing that season. The season pass was $24, and skiing was $1.00 a day. Season pass always won.; Finally, the absolute thrill of buying my first pair of metal skis, Hart Super Pros! They were listed as "6' 9" "(205 cm)! Too tall for me then, but of course you just knew you'd grow into them! I could almost touch the tips!!

Bolder

Out on the slopes
Skier
I still don't understand why more people don't ski in jeans these days. Heck, no one skis in jeans...and yet, they worked just fine, with a pair of gaiters and long johns. High school girls looked especially good in Jordaches.

Uncle-A

Skier
I still don't understand why more people don't ski in jeans these days. Heck, no one skis in jeans...and yet, they worked just fine, with a pair of gaiters and long johns. High school girls looked especially good in Jordaches.
Last week I was at Blue Mt. PA and saw one person in jeans, I was a bit surprised to see it.

YolkyPalky

Old-School "Skinny Ski" Bump Skier
Skier

Scotchguard sold in cans lost a huge market when people stopped skiing in jeans lol.

eok

Slopefossil
Skier
I remember when my "snow assault vehicle" was a Pinto with well worn stock tires and and the cheapest ski rack I could find. I also remember when I'd rationalize "snow tires" as being something for sissy flatlanders.**

**Don't worry about me being on the road near you: I eventually "matured". AWD & snow/ice traction tires are must-haves for me now.

Talisman

Out on the slopes
Skier
I remember stealing my brother's leather mittens and burning the palms out on a rope tow.

I remember my brother's justified anger at having brand new leather mittens pretty much ruined.

I remember using hand me down hickory skis with no steel edges that were several feet taller than me. The skis were "sharpened" by taking a light edge cut in a table saw.

I remember skis with no steel edges being useless on ice, but had fun skiing anyway.

I remember getting called "a little bastard" for the first time when I knocked down four skiers behind me when my grip slipped going up a steep section on the rope tow.

I remember begging my parents to spend the extra dollar on a lift ticket so I could use the "aerial lifts" and not be stuck on the rope tows, J bar and poma. They remembered hiking to ski and wouldn't spring for the extra cost.

I remember when $1.50 surface lift only ltickets were stapled directly to your jacket because the wire wicket hadn't come in vogue.

Sponsor

Staff online

• Andy Mink
    Everyone loves spring skiing but not in January