• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

How many of you....

Pete in Idaho

Out on the slopes
Skier
Post here bcuz of TC and Phil because they embody all that is fun with skiing. :)

am a regular at AZ and NYS ski blog. Epic lost its cache for me several yrs ago . It was too wesr oriented and perhaps a bit too stuffy and seemed more focused on instructors and the discussions lacked verve, style and a great sense of humor .

I like keeping this stuff light at heart and fun oriented , i do not want stiff , stuffy ,overly nerdy technique to the point of anality

YES YES YES !!!!!!!!!!!!!

Monique

bounceswoosh
Skier
I participated in a few threads on Epic, but it was hard to manage, so I would just check my Subscribed page. When I got to the point where there wasn't enough activity, I'd go look at New Posts to see if there were a few more threads I wanted to keep track of. But now, I'll check my Subscribed page maybe once for every three or four times I visit SkiDiva and PugSki (I can get in a really bad habit of flipping between those two and facebook in an almost trance-like fashion, especially if I'm stuck on a problem at work that doesn't have a clear path forward, so I spent a few bucks for the app Anti-Social. It just adds domain names to your hosts file for a specified amount of time, but I find it really helps me focus. If I "needed" to, I could always check my phone.).

Er, where was I? Right. Mostly if I had questions for someone on Epic, I really wanted Phil or Tricia or Susan to answer, and sometimes harassed them directly via PM because honestly I didn't care what most of the people said. So of course Epic became immediately less useful when they left. SkiDiva is obviously somewhat different - I'm a moderator there, and also there's just some stuff I'd rather discuss with other women, no offense and all that.

There are still some people who haven't migrated who I'd like to see, and that's sad. But I never felt quite at home at Epic, whereas I feel quite at home here. Part of it may be the software; part of it is certainly the community and leadership; part of it is that it's not owned by an uninvolved and unincentivized corporate overlord.

I honestly never paid much attention to the actual articles and non-forum reviews on Epic (nor SkiDiva), and will be curious to see if I am more interested in these pieces here on PugSki. Part of it may have been the navigation. But I think mostly it's that I like to go directly to any forum's "New Posts" page and go from there. Knowing many of the people who wrote the current crop of articles personally helps a lot to pique my interest.

Sponsor

Staff online