• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Northern Rockies/Alberta How’re Sun Valley conditions?

Bill Miles

Old Man Groomer Zoomer
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
All the bowls are good if the snow is decent. On moguls, it depends on how recently they have had significant snowfall. Most of the main bowls will generally be without significant moguls on the top half and mogulled down lower as they funnel into gulleys. They usually will groom one or two of bowl runs to skier’s right. Unless you really hate them, you should make a point to ski some of the good mogul lines at SV. They tend to be well shaped and flowy. The best places to test them out are usually Christmas Bowl, skier’s left on Ridge, and skier‘s right on Blue Grouse or Cut Off.

I should also have mentioned International as a potential steep groomer. Seems like they groom it every week or so.

If you haven’t been there before, you may be surprised at how generally steep the mountain is (without ever getting really steep). Two or three of the green runs on Seattle Ridge (Kristin’s Silver, Muffy’s Medals, and Gretchen’s Gold) are, along with upper Big Emma at Snowbird, the steepest green runs I have ever seen.
Told the story a while back about when I was riding up the Christmas lift with a couple from back East on their first day. Me: "That's Seattle Ridge over there; those are green runs but would be blue at most mountains." Guy: "They would be black at Okemo."

bpratt

Putting on skis
Skier
Third the vote for Seattle Ridge as steep (for many area) groomed runs. Even thought they are green they are steep enough to go plenty fast on.

But Limelight when it's groomed is my favorite by far, doing that top to bottom without stopping is a good test of your legs.

I'm getting there next week, I hope there's finally enough snow for decent coverage. Last year spoiled me :)

Jwrags

Aka pwdrhnd
Skier
So you think Laser AX or Enforcer 93 for skiing on Friday?
Laser AX. Sun Valley only allows Stockli skis :ogbiggrin:. Seriously, I have never seen so many Stockli skis in one place. Stopped at Lookout Restaurant to use the bathroom and the rack had nothing but Stockli. Use the AX to fit in!

TS
musicmatters

musicmatters

Getting on the lift
Skier
Laser AX. Sun Valley only allows Stockli skis :ogbiggrin:. Seriously, I have never seen so many Stockli skis in one place. Stopped at Lookout Restaurant to use the bathroom and the rack had nothing but Stockli. Use the AX to fit in!
I was thinking the AX is the right ski for that place on most days. But with some fresh snow coming in I was wondering about the E93. But I am wondering if they still groom it so much that the AX is still the right ski?

Jwrags

Aka pwdrhnd
Skier
I was thinking the AX is the right ski for that place on most days. But with some fresh snow coming in I was wondering about the E93. But I am wondering if they still groom it so much that the AX is still the right ski?
I wish I knew the answer but I do not. Just remember, it is Sun Valley and not “Snow” Valley.

Kyle

Out on the slopes
Skier
E93. That is a lot of snow in the forecast for Sun Valley.

bpratt

Putting on skis
Skier
Sun Valley is skiing great now (Feb 8). The first week of Feb they got somewhere between 2 and 3 feet of snow, including a few inches yesterday and overnight to this morning. Pretty much all the runs are open now except for the new Sunrise bowl area. A bit of snow during the day today for an hour or so, but the sun was out most of the time and it's supposed to be sunnier heading into the weekend.

Sponsor

Staff online