• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Northern Rockies/Alberta How’re Sun Valley conditions?

musicmatters

Getting on the lift
Skier
I have my first trip scheduled to Sun Valley Feb 1-5. They are showing only 28” all season and only 21% of the mtn open. And the storm hitting the West this week is kinda missing Sun Valley.

How is the mtn experience currently? There’s only 3 weeks between now and my trip and I’m concerned about the chances of getting more snow to open up more of the mtn. I’ve heard they make a lot of snow but only 21% of the mtn open make we wonder if I should find another location.

Should I be looking to go somewhere else and try again for Sun Valley next year?

Bad Bob

I golf worse than I ski.
Skier
Looked up current conditions it looked good to me. They have heavy snow warnings in the area so it's getting better. SV is so groomed it doesn't require a deep base to be really good.

Jwrags

Aka pwdrhnd
Skier
It is called “Sun Valley” not “Snow Valley”. That said, they have extensive snowmaking so hopefully the snow they got this week should make a huge difference.

SpikeDog

You want Big Air, kid?
Skier
Sun Valley should be fine with this week's dumpage. It's not a particularly rocky hill, so it doesn't take much to get most of the runs open. 39% of runs currently open. If you don't go this year, you'll be a year older when you do go.

TS
musicmatters

musicmatters

Getting on the lift
Skier
Trail question: can you ski upper college to lower college and still make it to the Lookout Express lift? Can you take the Sunset Strip run in that direction?

David Chaus

Beyond Help
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
Can’t imagine why not, those all have snowmaking and it’s the usual route if you’re taking U/L College.

TS
musicmatters

musicmatters

Getting on the lift
Skier
If trying to go from the River Run area to the top of Lookout. Any advantages or disadvantages in talking Roundhouse Express to Christmas vs River Run to Lookout Express?

David Chaus

Beyond Help
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
No difference, sometimes on a busy day there is more of a line for the Gondi than River Run.

TS
musicmatters

musicmatters

Getting on the lift
Skier
No difference, sometimes on a busy day there is more of a line for the Gondi than River Run.
Thanks!!

Do they start loading both Roundhouse and River Run at the same time? Both at 9am? Do they ever start loading earlier then 9am?

Kyle

Out on the slopes
Skier
They typically start both the gondola and River Run at the same time (around 9 am). I have never seen them loan early but maybe?

More people will typically ride the Gondola if it is at all cold out. The gondola to Christmas chair route is more scenic. I don't know for sure but it would not surprise me if the River Run to Lookout route were slightly quicker since that is probably a more direct routing. Christmas and Lookout unload right next to each other.

Bill Miles

Old Man Groomer Zoomer
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Usually, River Run to Lookout Express is a little quicker, especially first thing in the morning when the gondola may have a line.

Kyle

Out on the slopes
Skier
what are some of the best steep groomers?
Where to start? There are tons of them. Limelight to Greyhawk or Hemingway is the gold standard for me. Warm Springs, Graduate, Canyon and Sigi's Bowl (when groomed) are great also. Flying Squirrel to the new run Lower Flying Squirrel (if they ever get it open) looks like it has a lot of promise.

Though not in the category of "steep" groomers, Mid River Run, Cozy, Lower Olympic, and Ridge are a good time.

Outside of groomers, don't miss the bowls if the snow is at all cooperative. Also, there are some great mogul runs like Exhibition and Christmas Bowl.

TS
musicmatters

musicmatters

Getting on the lift
Skier
Friday is my first ski day, seems like some fresh snow for Thur/Fri.

Should I take out my Laser AX or my Enforcer 93 skis?

TS
musicmatters

musicmatters

Getting on the lift
Skier
Where to start? There are tons of them. Limelight to Greyhawk or Hemingway is the gold standard for me. Warm Springs, Graduate, Canyon and Sigi's Bowl (when groomed) are great also. Flying Squirrel to the new run Lower Flying Squirrel (if they ever get it open) looks like it has a lot of promise.

Though not in the category of "steep" groomers, Mid River Run, Cozy, Lower Olympic, and Ridge are a good time.

Outside of groomers, don't miss the bowls if the snow is at all cooperative. Also, there are some great mogul runs like Exhibition and Christmas Bowl.
Are there some good bowls that are generally non-mogul?

TS
musicmatters

musicmatters

Getting on the lift
Skier
And what is this area like? Is this all skiable? Never groomed?

Attachments

• D6568C96-B551-4E85-AE72-F3B103114810.jpeg
    D6568C96-B551-4E85-AE72-F3B103114810.jpeg
    181 KB · Views: 7

Bill Miles

Old Man Groomer Zoomer
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter

There are some other good steep groomers that I have seen groomed (rarely) including mid and lower Holiday, upper and mid Picabo's, Christmas Bowl, Lower French Dip. I agree on the new lower Flying Squirrel, have not seen it open although I think it was listed at least once on the grooming report as open and groomed.

Kyle

Out on the slopes
Skier
Are there some good bowls that are generally non-mogul?
All the bowls are good if the snow is decent. On moguls, it depends on how recently they have had significant snowfall. Most of the main bowls will generally be without significant moguls on the top half and mogulled down lower as they funnel into gulleys. They usually will groom one or two of bowl runs to skier’s right. Unless you really hate them, you should make a point to ski some of the good mogul lines at SV. They tend to be well shaped and flowy. The best places to test them out are usually Christmas Bowl, skier’s left on Ridge, and skier‘s right on Blue Grouse or Cut Off.

I should also have mentioned International as a potential steep groomer. Seems like they groom it every week or so.

If you haven’t been there before, you may be surprised at how generally steep the mountain is (without ever getting really steep). Two or three of the green runs on Seattle Ridge (Kristin’s Silver, Muffy’s Medals, and Gretchen’s Gold) are, along with upper Big Emma at Snowbird, the steepest green runs I have ever seen.

Sponsor

Staff online