• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

David Poisson -- RIP

Primoz

Skiing the powder
Skier
@HeluvaSkier FIS has very little to do with this unfortunate accident. It was training (French, Italians and most likely some other teams) so nothing official. And for trainings netting is well... unfortunately not anywhere near netting that we see on races. Until now things sort of worked, but unfortunately sooner or later something goes wrong, just like it did in this case. It's still hard to believe something like this happened, and especially to such cool guy. Well.. it would still be as tragic no matter to who it would happen..

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
I used a translator for this article. It may have some translate gaps.
https://www.lequipe.fr/Ski/Actualites/Le-skieur-francais-david-poisson-est-mort/850454

Bronze medalist at the 2013 Worlds and 35 years old, the descender David Poisson died Monday, during a fall in training in Canada, announced the French Ski Federation.

The French ski is mourning: David Poisson (35), member of the downhill team, died accidentally Monday after a fall, as announced by the French Federation in a statement. The skier was training at the Canadian Nakiska Station, a traditional base for preparing the Blues before the North American tour, which begins in Lake Louise in less than two weeks (November 25-26). The FFS did not elaborate further on the circumstances of the tragedy.

Devastated by this news, Michel Vion, President, Fabien Saguez, National Technical Director and all the sports and administrative staff of the Federation, join the pain of his relatives in these particularly difficult times, "writes she said in her statement.

A world medalist hard to evil

Nicknamed "Kaillou" ("It comes from Fish-Poiscaille-Poiscaillou-Caillou", he explained himself), the skier of Peisey-Nancroix (Savoie) was one of the veterans of this team of France, a key figure despite a busy career and disrupted by injuries. Some happened because this hard to evil was not used to calculate and sometimes paid for it by spectacular falls. In 2005, at Bormio, for his first Worlds at age 22, Poisson had yet had all good and finished ninth in downhill as in super-G. A promise partially confirmed in the rest of a career whose feats will remain this bronze medal won at the 2013 World Championships Schladming behind two heavyweights of speed, Aksel Lund Svindal and Dominik Paris.

David Poisson at the Schladming Worlds in 2013, where he was a bronze medalist. (J. Prévost / The Team)

David Poisson at the Schladming Worlds in 2013, where he was a bronze medalist. (J. Prévost / The Team)

A few weeks earlier, this skier with a hooker's physique (1.72m, 89kg) had finished at the foot of the podium in Kitzbühel, as if he better mastered the impulses of his big heart. "The galleys serve you for a moment," he confided after his world medal. At thirty, madness, you left it aside. (...) One says to me: "This medal, you deserve it" but everyone deserves it, "he added, faithful to his endearing character. Two years later, he finished third in the Santa Caterina downhill, the only World Cup podium of his career. He was since March 2016 father of a little boy. Two weeks before this tragic accident, David Poisson had lost his father, swept away by cancer.

The previous Cavagnoud

This accident reminds, of course, the one of which Régine Cavagnoud had been victim, disappeared on October 31st, 2001 following a fall in the training two days earlier on the Austrian glacier of Pitztal. A few months after winning the world super-G title, the Frenchwoman had violently hit a German coach, Markus Nawander, who was in the middle of the route.

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
There is some preliminary official news about the cause. While this is likely to generate a discussion about the failure of netting, I want our members to keep in mind that his family and the whole race community are suffering.
(from the article)
VanderBeek said Poisson's father died two weeks earlier and her thoughts are with his family.

"His family is suffering some pretty serious loss right now," she said.
<snip>
"It's just horrible that this has happened and really our hearts are torn apart by it and our thoughts and prayers are with his family in France," he added.

VanderBeek said her understanding is that the course setup at Nakiska was "pretty normal" for a training run but those typically involve less netting than a race environment.

x10003q

Out on the slopes
Skier
Having less netting for training is an abject failure. Hopefully the horrific loss of David Poisson will cause the other racers take notice and demand proper race fencing for all training.

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
@x10003q I am not as knowledgeable about racing like many of our members are, but it makes sense to me, from a safety standpoint, especially while training for DH speed.

From what I understand, with the disclaimer that I'm not claiming brilliance on this topic, the SL training doesn't carry the same risk?

razie

Sir Shiftsalot
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
It's not practical to have the same setup for training as it's done for races. Maybe it should be mandated... Especially the A-netting is not something that's easily arranged (the big nets hanging from posts, used in big fast turns and tight courses etc) they require a lot of infrastructure to be setup.

The B-netting, the small nets in one of the photo above are the most used. For speed, 2 and 3 rows or even more are mandated by the manual in specific conditions, given the angles and speeds at which the skiers can come at them and there's a lot of specific rules about how it should be put in, the angles that you drill at, how it's overlapped etc. There are however different manufacturers and the rules differ between them (some need some slack and some don't etc).

However, even when you do everything by the book, the netting will certainly help, but it is not a guarantee... the speed events are... well, fast - and yes, they have different safety protocols than tech training (SL, GS even)!

It's also the setter's job to set a safe course, take into account and avoid dangerous spill areas etc... it's not as simple as just assuming that something went wrong with the netting. I'm sure the coaches are pretty devastated as well, left wondering if they could have done something differently...

sad.

Last edited:

François Pugh

Skiing the powder
Skier
Great White North (Eastern side currently)
It may not be practical to make it 100% safe. Even if you make it 99.99% safe, there will still be that 1 in 10000.
The early reports appear to be confirmed. He fell, went through the B-netting and hit a tree.

It would be nice to know how he fell. Reports I've seen said he lost and edge and others said that he caught and edge. Which is it? Ski come off in a rut or landing air? Edge loose grip in a turn? Got out of sorts put and edge wrong. Those details would be of more interest to me in a news report than what some celebrity tweeted about the incident, but I'm one of those insensitive engineers.

I guess it's too soon to discuss details for our own selfish reasons; the details may eventually come out. People are hurting, so I see, despite my nature, that is best to respect their grief and let them mourn in peace. The details can wait.

Condolences to his friends and family.

Primoz

Skiing the powder
Skier
Maybe I have a bit different view to all this, as I was actually out there in middle of night putting these things up in the past. I agree safety should be first and most important part, but in real life things get a bit different. You really can't compare races and training, unfortunately, but you really can't. They just started putting A-nets up week or two ago in Kitzbuehel and race is there in middle of January. Having A-nets put up for training is simply not possible, unless you have some race track dedicated as training center only, and not as normal ski resort (read: Copper Mountain). Normal training courses, even for DH, are normally just plain ski runs in middle of ski resort, which is closed on morning. Normally, once racers leave (around 10 or 11am), nets are removed, gates are pulled out and stored till next morning and run is open for normal people.
With A-netting you need infrastructure (masts, wires etc.) where nets are hanging, and installing these nets takes days. With b-nets, you just drill holes into snow, and stick poles with net there. Considering most of these nets on training courses are taken off after training is done, to enable normal skiers use that run, and to enable grooming trails on evening/night, and they are installed again early on morning before training starts. Every day in and out.
We have all lived with this for years and years, knowing it's anything but perfect, but everyone simply take it into account, as we all know (knew in my case, as that's far past for me) there's unfortunately simply no other way then this, even if from security point of view, it's anything but perfect.
But on the other side, also A-nets are not 100% safe (remember Beltrametti few years ago), and with a little bad luck things can go wrong even with perfect protection.

Sponsor